Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 March 2001
What can I say? I approached this CD with much apprehension and, as is always the case with Costello I was totally wrong! How does he do it?! This is a pared down and startlingly effective production coupled with the beauty of Van Otten's voice, as well as being a superb collection of well crafted songs. That's what you get with Costello no mess & no fuss just sheer music! The man's bloody gifted!
on 6 February 2003
These days I'm happier with songs with good melodies, that are well arranged and well performed. As with a number of the other reviewers of this album I first became aware of it through the South Bank Show in March 2001 (was it really so long ago) and like, them bought the CD as a result). I have not been disappointed. It is, at the moment, simply the best album I possess, one which I play frequently.
There have been other classically trained artists who attempt the 'crossover' to 'popular' music (whatever these terms mean), however here it is obvious that Anne Sophie von Otter has done her homework and, with Elvis Costello, worked hard to produce, what I think is, a wonderful album. Unlike other artists who have tried the 'crossover' Anne Sophie von Otter has approached the recording in the same way the 'popular' musician would. The result: a beautiful album. The selection of songs, the arrangements, and the professionalism of all concerned is really obvious. The voice and the music are wonderful, I think the selection of songs is even better. My own favourites are 'Don't Talk', Like an angel passing through my room', 'For no one' and 'You still believe in me'. But decide for yourself.
A brilliant album, well concieved, well produced and lovely to listen to. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 17 May 2002
From the first note this is a collaboration of people with great musical abilty and taste but with the ability to make that turn into a musical experience of great emotional power.Songs of lost love,of despair,of introspection are interpreted largely by Anne Sofie with a voice that has a clean perfection which does great justice to the depth of feelings in these songs without spoiling them. The climax is a Tom Waits song(Take It With Me when I Go)which is simply the most beatiful love song I have ever heard(except it is a love,life celebration,thanksgiving,uplifting of the human spirit song).If it does'nt bring tears to your eyes you're dead.Buy this CD for everybody you love.
on 14 June 2001
The purity and depth of Anne Sophia von Otter vs the texture and craft of EC makes this one of the most interesting CD's in my collection at this moment - maybe it will remain so!
on 8 April 2001
The soothing yet breathy softness of Anne Sophie Von Otto's voice makes this a wonderful album to play when you need to chill out. The best album I've bought in a long time!
on 16 September 2014
different, but I like it
on 8 March 2001
I have no idea if this is worth 5 stars - just wanted to balance out the one... I've never heard Anne Sofie Von Otter sing but I'm a big Elvis Costello fan and the songs they've chosen for this project are among my very favourites. Baby Plays Around, I Want To Vanish and This House Is Empty Now are, in my opinion, the very best Costello ballads and the other choices, such as Junk by Paul McCartney, Take It With Me by Tom Waits and the Pet Sounds tracks are incredible songs. I apologise for reviewing something I haven't heard but I really hope such talented people can't mess up material as fine as this.
on 6 August 2014