Format: Audio CDChange

on 8 July 2001
First of all, I don't usually write reviews of this length but there are occasions in your musical experiences where landmarks are reached and you just can't keep silent. You just want to share your feelings.
Of the hundreds of artists I've ever listened to, some of them pretty good too, only Hole's 'Live Through This' and Smashing Pumpkins' 'Siamese Dream' have attained such musical landmarks in my life. Fine Lines is the third!
For me, what distinguishes a great artist from a good artist are when you get those 3 or 4 songs on an average length album which take your breath away" i.e. they make you feel you're sexier than Schiffer , better than Beckham, or just greater than the greatest; they make you feel beyond what you are in reality, they take you to another plane emotionally and psychologically. Fine Lines does this for me.
I've listened to Fine Lines more than 20 times now to get rid of that initial over-hyped feeling and write an as accurate a review as possible.
Believe me I didn't feel so enamoured at first but their songs just somehow grow on you after each listen.
My favourites are 'Grounded' which is simply beautiful, full stop; 'Cemented Shoes' which has a lovely dreamy quality and 'Ode to the Red Queen' which has a melancholy yet breathtaking chorus. I know 'Always: Your Way' is probably the favourite for most. This is a lovely fluid tune but for me the above are a bit better.
What confirms My Vitriol's talent to me (as if they need confirmation) is how they can take Madonna's 'Oh father' (a B-side song on their Grounded CD1 single) and make it in to a rocking tune. I checked out their web site, listened to the audio section and came across some other B-side tunes on the singles they have released and guess what............they are just as good so I bought them all too, bar one (Grounded CD2, which has a weak all-percussion tune called 'Deadlines'). 'Spotlights' and especially the incredibly catchy 'Breakfast' are another 2 fantastic B-side tunes. In fact, in my opinion, 'Breakfast' is just about the best My Vitriol number of them all.
I must say that having seen all the 5 star marks before I bought the album it did alert my interest yet I initially thought it may have been an over-hyped album but the more you listen to it the more you realise what a piece of brilliance this stuff is and I believe it's their first album. WHAT!!!! I wasn't concerned at what others had marked, if it deserved one star I would have given it but this really does deserve all five. The only weak tunes are the two all-percussion tunes, song 1. Alpha Waves and song 10. Tongue Tied, yet even these aren't too bad. I haven't taken in to account the interlude tunes such as 'Kohlstream' which for me serve as necessary breaks for me to catch my breath. My Vitriol show and uncanny knack of producing consistently good tunes of differing tempos.
Finally I just want to thank all you gals, guys and aliens who gave this album five stars, if it wasn't for your reviews this masterpiece would have avoided my radar and I would have missed out on one of my greatest ever musical experiences.
"Gratitude for Your Attitude".
on 23 July 2001
This band combine the angst of placebo, the sing-a-long factor of green day and the pure rock power of the Smashing Pumpkins. If you've ever heard of any of these bands, you should get it. In my opinion, the best songs are the ones which are deep and yet have you singing along before the end of your first listen, i was singing along to "always:your way" during the first chorus. This album filled a gap in my life that i didn't even know i had.
on 22 November 2008
It's 2008, a nice round 7 years on from the release of this album, and still it holds sway among the best of the best rock albums. Why? Well it does has it's reference point, influences and the like - but you'd be hard pressed to find a band before My Vitriol who sounded exactly like them. As mentioned in the reviews from the time, there are hints of the Foo Fighters, a pinch of My Bloody Valentine for sure, but these influences are taken into a whole new spectrum on Finelines.

This album sounds BIG. And no that's not a bad thing. In many respects their wall of sound is all the more refreshing in the current climate of clackety indie guitars that sound as if they were recorded in a shed. Instead Som Wardner and gang took their telecasters, said no to the clean channel and turned everything up to 11, filtering myriad spacey rock sounds into the mix.

The songwriting is not to shabby either, they pull huge choruses out of the ether for the ones you might remember "Always: Your Way" and "Grounded." There's even harder slabs of rock with the likes of Pieces, and more broody, introspective numbers like "Ode To The Red Queen." There's even c.o.r. - a 40 second blast of furious metal stylings, almost as if the band knew that they could out-metal the multiple platinum nu-metal acts in the charts at the time. This is all bound together with some brilliant instrumental(ish) tracks such as "Tongue Tied." In a way it's pointless trying to pick out a highlight though as this is clearly an album, not to be digested in individual chunks.

With the band vanishing into almost obscurity since 2003, lets hope they release something in the future just as good to remind us all what it's all about. In the meantime, if you haven't already, do yourself a favour and get acquainted with one of the best and most overlooked rock albums of the decade.
on 15 November 2011
..... and this album is still incredible. I recently rediscovered them when going through my old CD's. I guess because they havent done much since this debut I kinda forgot about them but now i'm back on being hooked. It's not often you can call rock music words like 'gorgeous', 'spellbinding' and 'wintery melancholy powerful' but this albnum is just that! The other good thing is that, unlike yank bands like Smashing Pumpkins, My Vitriol avoid being too angsty or artsy for the sake of it - they just rock out and this is the result. It still manages to be no-frills power rock at its heart, you can tell by the way the songwriting still has some naivete to it and lacks development in some areas. But thats not an insult - in this case its good! It means the band aren't overthinking things, they just play. I would say though that the first 8-9 songs are great and then they tail off a bit but that may be because the first tunes are so awesomely inspiring you don't need them all! : )

10 years on and they still had the formula just right to my ears, it is one of the best debut rock albums of all time, it certainly kicks the c%^p out of 'Generation terrorists' or 'Frogstomp' - two other rock debuts that were heralded at the time but now in the cold light of day are nothing special. My Vitriol why oh why did you slow down your career and end up playing Guilfest??! You should be on top of the World by now. Sort it out!!
on 10 September 2007
I fell in love with My Vitriol 6 years ago when I was a 'slightly misunderstood' 16 year old with access to an alternative radio station. Cut to 2007 and I am still in utter awe of this band. Their sound is brilliantly unique - sweeping melodies and often delicately intricate guitar work is combined with thundering chords and furious drumming; and all these elements are marvelously woven together by the unmistakable vocals of lead man Som Wardner who ranges from furious screaming to angsty droning to the softest murmuring. OK, so I sound over-the-top, and possibly I am, slightly, but I cannot think of any other way to describe how fantastic this band are. The fact that this is their only 'full' album to date says a lot, as I can listen to it over and over without getting bored. Stand out tracks include Always:Your Way, The Gentle Art of Choking and Windows and Walls. Modern 'Indie' fans who clamour to the happy-clapping of the numerous identikit guitar bands currently over running the charts would do well to listen to this album, which is British rock at it's best - raw, emotional, intelligent and thought provoking.
on 3 March 2001
The best indie rock newcomer around. this band is awesome. if you havent had a chance to see them live yet, i suggest that you do. this album is amzing. Each song is brilliant, unlike most albums. Always Your Way is the most recent release but when this album is finnaly released im sure many others will realise their talent.
on 3 November 2015
I decided to pull this one out of my collection after gathering dust for a few years. I followed them when they first came out, seeing them support Placebo back on their 'Black Market Music' tour, and they sounded awesome live. Then the album- which instantly resonated with me. There isn't a single bad track on Finelines. Clearly influenced by Smashing Pumpkins, The Chameleons, a dash of Nirvana, a slice of Placebo, and a pinch of Deftones- there's something for anyone who loves some post-rock grunge, with plenty of melancholy and drama!
I won't go into the sound too much, but sonically, and with depth, they deliver. Me and a mate kept catching Som at various gigs around 2003, even appearing at a Sneaker Pimps low key gig. You could tell the guy where's his heart on his sleeve.
With a bass player change up, a fantastic follow up single in the way of Moodswings (which appeared on the equally impressive b-side inclusion Finelines/Between the lines, release a year later), it looked like My Vitriol where gearing up for album number 2...but it never came, and so they disappeared almost as soon as they arrived. Shame really, as this album really is, dare I say it, a classic, and deserves so much more attention. Later on they released A Pyyric Victory EP, and gave us all what we were waiting for, but it was really such a short lived taster. I'm guessing problems within the band, and getting a record deal might have the reasons..
I just hope that, with their resurgence, they can reach the same creative heights in their next album...coming soon from what I've seen..2015/16!
Buy this Album and realised what you've missed.....
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A name I saw on marquees about 15 years ago. Always in the press. On support slots. Always somewhere near the top of the Second Division of Indie, but never quite able to breakout to the First Division. Never quite able to make the leap to being a commercially viable act, with sufficient momentum to make a long term life out of this crazy music dream.

I always thought with a name like My Vitriol they'd sound heavier. I always thought it would be vitriolic. With a heady mix of influences, each easily noticable, there's a sense of being less than the sum of the parts : but it's by no stretch not a good record.
However, my notepad seems judgemental. Here's what it says. “Stone Roses. Mansun. Longpigs. Jane's Addiction. Foo Fighters. AC/DC. Therapy. Nine Inch Nails. Hope Of The States. Ramones. Smiths. “

These are not bad things, by the way. As list of influences go, it's a strong set. Where the album perhaps, falls short, is on to counts : a 15 song album can be a good thing – but 15 songs can also be too long. I call it the Tori Amos effect, where the sense that perhaps the bands have more material on the album than they do songs. I can't really tell you where my attention waned as such, but somewhere near the end, as – amongst other things – there was no sense of narrative to the album, and each song felt to be another connected instalment instead of leading towards some kind of conclusion. Additionally, the vocals sound like another band grafted over the top of the music : they're light and airy, with no rough edges, and that doesn't seem to fit the music as such. It's almost cruel to say the vocals sound like a backing singer promoted to lead, but that's how it feels.

“Fine Lines” is no bad record – I particularly like “C.O.R” and the shifting, collapsing tempos of “Tongue Tied”, and there are several promising elements – tightly structured, monolithic rhythm guitars, buzzsaw riff, and some late-period Marresque arpeggios, but it's less than the sum of its parts : Given that the sum of the parts would make them the most amazing band in the universe is that a surpise? Probably not. My Vitriol were – or is it are? - a band that could with time, have grown into something worth adoring, but sadly, seemed thwarted in their early life. Look at what you could have won.
on 7 March 2001
after buying 'always:your way', seeing them on TOTP and hearing their other singles, this was an album i was really looking forward to hearing. for once i wasn't disappointed. from the opening growl of alpha waves, my vitriol alternate between thunderous blasting rock and sweet soaring melodies, racing through the singles but adding much more besides. how many bands these days include four instrumentals to blend tracks together ? how many bands produce an album that could produce another four or five singles that are at least as good as their first four ? it did take me three listens to the album, especially pieces and ode to the red queen before i came up with another crop of influences, but seeing as how i liked the originals its not a gripe. the alternating betwen sweet and sour puts me in mind of another underrated band that never received the praise that my vitriol will, and that is the PALE SAINTS. if you've never heard 'the comforts of madness' lp, then buy it (if you can find it) and draw your own conclusions. throw in a bit of 'scar' era LUSH, and i give you 55% of my vitriol. that they can lay these cards on the table early on in the album and still make what will be the album of the year sound fresh and so darned exciting is to their eternal credit. five out of five, a must have. i can't recommend this album highly enough.
on 11 August 2001
This is an intelligent and thoughtful record. It is 'musical' in a beautiful, rich and complex way that the likes of 'lowest common denominator' (S Club 7, Atomic Kitten et al) music fans wouldn't understand.
In my book, the definition of a truly great record is one that sounds better after the 100th listen than it did after the first. And Finelines does just that.
It is joyous and melancholy at the same, and I can't recommend it highly enough!