5.0 out of 5 stars It really dont get any better than this
Published on 1 Oct. 2003 by Mr M J Mueller

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, to be honest...
I bought this as I am a huge Dream Theater fan, and like most people living in the UK have never had a chance to see them live. My DVD arrived this morning and I popped it in the player with a huge sense of excitement. I'm just left feeling a little like, 'Oh... Was that it then?'
This review is not a reflection on Dream Theater or the incredible 3 hour live sets...
Published on 2 Jun. 2004 by Mr. A. Doehler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It really dont get any better than this, 1 Oct. 2003
Mr M J Mueller (Chatteris, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Although I have seen DT three times and have all of their albums, this band never fails in knocking me for six every time I hear or see them. Each of the band is known for being the best at what he does. You really dont need to be 'into' rock music to appreciate this DVD. With Dream Theater it goes deaper than that. Mike Portnoy hammers home his title of worlds best rock drummer, John Petrucci who is widely regarded as the best guitarist in the world is simply amazing. James Labrie who due to the nature of the music and the lengths of the shows, has not always been as immaculate on stage as he is in the studio gives one of the best performances I have seen live. John Myung is just well...... John Myung, cool, calm, faultless. Jordon Rudess seems like he has been part of the band forever and plays a big part in the production and direction of the performance. If you are serious about 'music' regardless of genre, buy this DVD and try some of the albums, trust me when I say that you will not be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars "We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams", 3 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I love this band! Dream Theater makes music for the active listener. They are fast, precise, ambidextrous, and varied. Every song and album is an epical journey.
The DVD contains some visuals (or cut-scenes) that try to communicate the story and inspiration behind SFAM. The cut-scenes didn't do the music justice, which is a pity, since the band has the word "Theater" in their name, and theatrics should appeal both auditory and visually. This doesn't bother me too much, though, because DT for me is all about the music. And, the cut-scenes ain't often. But, my rating does drop one star, just to be fair. [ As a true DT fan my argument still stands that when you listen to DT, you close your eyes, and dream up your own awesome visuals, but not everyone agrees with this. ]
The camera-work is very satisfying. Thought has been put into combining certain angles onto one screen (for instance the Rudess/Petrucci show-off, and of course Mr Portnoy's exceptional drumming).
This is a must have for any DT fan, guitarist, drummer, bassist, keyboardist, any musician for that matter. DT is eye-candy technically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 14 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I must admit, before buying this I didn't really know who Dream Theater were - I only bought it because I had seen John Petrucci at the G3 tour with Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, and he was amazing. Now, I am an avid fan, thanks to this DVD. The chances are, if you are reading this review then you know who dream theater are, and know how amazing they are. The live performance of 'A change of Seasons' is worth the price of the dvd alone - it really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musicians delight, 11 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Scenes from NY is an amazing piece of work. Mike Portnoy has really gone out to give all us musicians plenty to get flustered. The shots mike chooses are nigh on perfect and where there are unison lines the screen is split between the musicians so you can see exactly what's going on, this is particulary useful on tracks like The Dance to Eternity. As for sound quality - it has been expertly mixed by Kevin Shirley and sounds as good as any studio album of theirs. As a bonus Mike has included Change of Seasons, Learning to Live, The Silent Man and Erotomania as extras. Also for those of us who went to see DM perform Scenes live you can look at a photo of the venue using Mike's digital camera shoots!
All in all essential for any Dream Theater fan, come to that any music fan willing to stretch their horizons a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome value for money DVD.Dream Theater at their very best., 14 April 2001
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Just sit back and relax.Let messers LaBrie,Portnoy,Petrucci,Myung and Rudess take you on a journey of regression into the lives of Nicholas and Victoria.The whole of Scenes From A Memory is performed live.Watch one of the most technical bands in the world give their all in this truly spectacular concert.If you are not a fan of the band believe me once you see this you will be.There is also over 1 hour of bonus deleted live material including the full 25 minute performance of A Change Of Seasons.If you are a fan of people like Genesis,Pink Floyd or Rush then this DVD is for you.I have been a fan of this band for about 7 years and they seem to get better with each new album.Do yourself a favour,give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Album Of All Time....LIVE!, 23 Aug. 2008
Dmitriy Shkarubo "~ACID RAIN~" (Syktyvkar, RUSSIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I remember buying this DVD in early 2002. It seemed to take forever to be releaed and when it was there was something wrong with the audio (I think) which meant it had to be returned and wait for the remastered version to come out. I remember thinking at the time Mike Portnoy handled all this very well, very up front about what had happened, plenty of information on the web site etc. The wait was well worth it though. Over 2 and a half hours of great material plus the audio commentary, documentary and some great photos. Also we get to see the amazing Jordan Rudess on keyboards - with hair!

For me "Live Scenes from New York" is Dream Theater's equivalent of Rush's "Exit Stage Left" (1981). It is a the band at their most confident with an album ("Scenes") which like Rush ("Moving Pictures") they were just so proud of. The confidence shown on both these bands DVD's is just so high - at the top of their game.

The sound is in PCM Stereo (there no 5.1 or DTS option) and for me it sounds fantastic.

James LaBrie gives a great performance on vocals (have to admit though his best live vocal performance is on "Score" (2006). John Petrucci is stunning on guitar (it's a close call between his performance here and that displayed on the stunning riffamania shown on "Live @ Budokhan" (2004). John Myung is awesome on Bass (as he always is - also check out his work on Score, stunning). Jordan Rudess really shines on this set, he really is in full flite. (His performance on "Budokhan" is also top notch and on "Score", well let's just say I'd say the Orchestra would have appreciated his keyboard work, it's is almost unearthly - the "Rick Wakeman / Keith Emerson" of current times, unbelievably good. And last but not least, Mike Portnoy who gives a fantastically energetic performance on drums. This was actually a 3 hour show (more material can be found on the on the corresponding 3 disc CD set including "Metropolis I" and "Another Day" from "Images and Words" (1992) and "The Mirror" From Awake (1994), and Mike never lets up. Along with Chester Thompson (Genesis) and Neil Peart (Rush) Mike is in my top three drummers and his display here is awesome. (Also check out "The test that stumped them all" on "Budokhan" or "Score" - awesome performance).

Whilst a reduced track listing compared to the CD set, as with Rush's Exit Stage left there is heaps of material to chose from and it's all top notch. We get the whole of "Scenes from a memory" complete with Choir for the "Sprit carries on" section (this section is totally over the top, exceeded all my expectations - fantastic job) plus the whole of "A mind besides itself" ("Erotomania / Voices / Silent Man") from "Awake" (1994), "Learning to live" from Images and Words (1992). Another thing i really liked about this dvd is the live version of "A Change Of Seasons" (1995). To me, that track alone is worth the price of the dvd. What a great song that is.

It's really a great show, one of those that you can just feel and see the confidence oozing out of every note / beat / riff.
I can't speak highly enough of this show. If you do decide to get this one I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars best music dvd ever. period!, 8 Sept. 2008
Richard Holman (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Being someone who owns about 20 times more music dvds than films i feel half justified in stating the above words! This is Dream Theater at their absolute peak. Heavy, melodic, progy and immense solo efforts and musicianship from all of them. Other dream theater dvd performances seem more disjointed, needlessly excessive e.g. Live at Budokan, but here they get the balance spot on and the music is the epitomy of heavy prog rock/metal. For me it is unusual as most bands i like peak early in their career whilst this comes around about a decade after they began. It is the best set they could ever have played as Scenes.....is the best album in the world ever written IMO and they play it completely effortlessly in it's entirity including beautifully added variations at the end of some of their songs (finally free etc.) Plus on top of that they have the nerve to add extras including stunning versions of Learning to Live and A Change of Seasons. This band is so tight, the sound they achieve is mind blowing, all of them are immense in their own fields (with perhaps some exception to Labrie who i'm afraid to say sometimes lets the side down but in general his performance is very good - especially in the "Another World" part in ...Seasons...). I can't say how many times i've watched this dvd but pretty much am mezmorized every time i hear it. Just wish i could have been at the gig at the time but sadly i'd never even heard of Dream Theater back then! Prog on!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Dream Theater, 10 Jan. 2012
Mrs. F. C. Williams (South West UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Wow! After watching this dvd of Dream Theater I was exhausted! I have been playing catch up as I missed Dream Theater when they first started out and have only listened to them since 2009, so rather like my kids getting the whole Pink Floyd library or Led Zep to listen to , I have been overwhelmed with Dream Theater's music.
This dvd of the 1999 album Metropolis pt 2. Scenes From A Memory is excellent, spot on to the album and played with enthusiasm and panache. Hugely enjoyable I know I will watch it over and over again, I only wish I had followed them earlier and got each album as it came out, as now it is hard to get the timeline right of when each one came out.Their music seems to be very much about the good and bad of people, and what is inside people's hearts. I find them uplifting to listen to and can see that this early music of theirs really set the scene and status quo of what each following album consists.New Men's Black Stainless Steel The Lords Prayer Cross Design Pendant & Free Chain - Length 60cms
I'm not sure if they are very religious as people or not, but their lyrics have profound meaning to me. My fav album is Octovarium, especially the title track and Panic Attack, all things that I can personally relate to. I often wonder how people can know all these things unless they have already lived several past lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic!!, 13 April 2001
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This is a must for any Dream Theatre fans out there. The content of the DVD is abolutely fantastic! The band play with extreme enthusiasm and power. They manage to pull off an incredible display of all out musical genious. The extra footage is a great bonus and includes a documentary giving an insight into the band, the fans and the crew behind this amazing band Dream Theatre. A well earned 5 stars, and money well spent..highly recomended, you will not be dissapointed. By now, or pay later....

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give this 10 stars if I could!, 14 April 2001
This review is from: Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This DVD has to be one of the greatest live performances ever captured on film. The shere musicianship of the 5 members of the amazing group known to us as Dream Theater show their talents in every sense of the word, and the visualy stimulating graphics add to the atmosphere and stage spectacle of the show. With a great backstage documentary, a photo album of the whole tour, the concert in it's entirety played live, and loads of extra songs, there is enough on this DVD to keep you entertained for hours. The members of the group add even more to the live performance with amazing solos from Rudess on keys, and Petrucci on guitars, and the vocal performance from James Labrie is epic. Definately the best live performance of the best work from Dream Theater, all presented with great visuals and camerawork. I could not possibly reccomend this DVD more to Dream Theater fans, or even somebody trying to get into the band. What better way to be introduced to the band then watching them at their best?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›