5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEPTIONAL EPIC!!!
What can I say? Aditya Chopra has done it again...his follow up to DDLJ is as emotional, as awe-inspiring and as memorable as its unconventional predecessor. Mohabbatein really brings out the best talents of both Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan, and the jaw-dropping beauty of Aishwarya Rai really makes her 'ghostly' character come to life.
The brilliant...
Published on 12 Aug 2002 by Was

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new under the sun
Published 7 months ago by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEPTIONAL EPIC!!!, 12 Aug 2002
Was (Middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
The brilliant direction from Aditya Chopra has realy set a landmark for Bollywood cinema and has already firmly placed "Adi'" as one of the most exciting and original directors to grace our screens for a long time.
Yash Raj Films have really pulled out all the stops for this lavish DVD, and we are really in for a treat with a spectacular two-disc set, not forgetting the additional exclusive postcards and leaf-bookmark, a pleasant touch to an already incredible DVD.
The story, centering around a strict eductaional institution, Gurukul, and the fight of three young students against its Headmaster, Amitabh Bachchan, in the name of love, really brings a very original idea to the hero/heroine drivel churned out from the industry for too long. Shahrukh's powerful performance really brings meaning to his character's fight in the name of love, and the equally if not over-shadowing performance by the Big B, portrays the eternal battle love has with fear, splendidly.
All in all...an epic of all proportions, with romance, humour, lots of tears, and brilliant performances!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Triple Love Relationships, 21 Aug 2001
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first Hindi film I saw and I must say that I have been overwhelmed by it. Despite its 3 hours one would not think of such a great movie as a long boring film. I for one loved the way it deals with love stories between the young people (3 couples), but also between the generations (young vs. old generation) and also between the famous actors and the new actors which were given a chance for the first time in "Mohabbatein". As for the music, the melodies quickly become earworms and you will be suprised to find yourself humming "Chalte chalte"! For those of you who, like me, Have been intringued to watch some really good Bollywood film I suggest you give this one a try!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story line - music OK - scenery very confusing!, 10 Nov 2001
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
The film would be very entertaining, if it were not for the inconsistency of the scenery. It was very off putting to see one scene at the school when it was clearly autumn or early spring, ie cold and windy, to then find the next scene by a swimming pool where the climate was suddenly mediterranean! Otherwise your typical Bollywood entertaining film - music wasn't up to much though! The story follows 3 young boys who attend a very elite school - Gurukul. They meet 3 girls outside of the school - however the strict head of the school does not allow women into the school. The scene is then set for the young boys to break the rules - gently encouraged by the new teacher (who has a history with the school, which slowly unfolds throughout the film).

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNIFICENT!, 22 Feb 2001
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
This was one film I was waiting to see for an incredibly long time and boy was I in for a treat when I went to see it. I was there on the opening night with cola in one hand and popcorn in the other and for the whole three and a half hours of it, I was immensely satisfied with what I was watching. Although the story line was nothing to gape in disbelief about it was given excellent treatment with memorable songs, captivating visuals, stylish acting and an all round good feeling. Definitely a must own DVD. Defintiely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mohabbatein possibly the best film i've seen this year, 24 Nov 2001
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
Amitab plays a great role in this film as does Shahrukh Khan. The songs in the film are also unforgettable. If your gonna watch this film, then keep a box of tissues handy for those tearful scenes and a huge bowl of popcorn.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!!, 20 Feb 2001
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
Mohabbatein is one of the best bollywood films made, a huge cast with spectacular acting, the tension between mr.raj a malhotra (shah rukh khan) and mr narayan shankar(Amitabh Bachan) is immense, the songs are fantastic and that background violin tune makes your heart melt, a beautifully crafted story with emotion,tension, happiness, this film makes kuch kuch hota hai look like Jackanory!!-- absolutely Fantastic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different to advertised story on DVD cover -and terrific!, 23 Dec 2008
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
When I read the DVD cover about two stubborn men - with grim pictures of them on the front cover in my version, I thought this was to be a serious drama. My daughter read the back cover and decided not to watch it with me. It is for this reason I am writing this review. She missed something here and I throughly enjoyed a movie that was nothing like the cover suggested really.
It is thoughtful in many ways but it is very much about the triumph of love-not really a clash of wills.
There really is only one stubborn man who, as a principal, rules his university with fear and rules. There is another man who persists with trying to change him to open up the love within him.
There are also developed subplots about love stories with 3 of the young men from the university. These were all engaging. The length of Bollywood movies I've found I now like (as long as you arent sitting in a cinema all this time and can take an intermission from your DVD- or watch over several nights like a miniseries!) The longer movie gives more time for character development so I find I care a lot more about the fate of the protagonists.
I really enjoyed this movie and suspect it will reign as one of my favorites. The performances are excellent. I cant recall any particularly memorable songs or dances - though both were fine and plenty of them. But the story and the performances were what did it for me.
Bollywood of course is dripping with romance. However there are some deeper thoughts from this one that stayed with me to think about e.g. being able to maintain an open heart and enjoyment of your love whether of not it is returned by the other person (ie that love is about your feelings and the gift they give to YOU and this isnt conditional on whether they are returned or someone dies and exits your life); questions about love and fear and which is the greatest force- and the question it poses about what is life really about (love and openheartedness, or being shutdown and just achievement focused).
The calibre of the actors and the scripting means these questions feel of a different quality to romantic one-liners we are used to (or at least for me).
The legacy of this movie is about joy not about a clash of 2 stubborn people.

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolutley amazing film, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
Not only does this film deal with, unlike many bollywood films, real issues concerning real people, it does so in a way that keeps you enthralled for the full three hours (with a handy intermission half way through!) Undoubtedly a classic movie, a must see for all Asians out there, and anyone else too! Amitabh Bhachan, perhaps the greatest actor in the history of the world, ever, and Shahrukh Khan, a damn close second, make this film purely unmissable! BUY IT! BUY IT TODAY!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great! The music and scenery is amazing, 27 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Right from the opening scene I could tell that this was going to be a great film. 3 new actors and 3 new actresses were introduced in this film and were great though a little too modern for my own liking (the actresses were). Sharukh mature role was played well as was the legend Amitabh. Ashiwaria made the film for me. Her enchanting ghostly appearance backed by Lata's vocals made this film awe inspiring. The Leaves flying across the screen finally revealed the symbol they stood for. Great Great and yes Great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new under the sun, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Mohabbatein [DVD] (DVD)
Each time I watch an documentary about Amitabh Bachchan I am heartened when from out of the depths of 90's Bollywood cinema I see him being reborn and re branded as a mature, more experimental older actor. I love all that stuff. My problem is that the film which is said to have started him on this new track is, in my view, one of the most awful predictable soppy 90's Bollywood films I have ever seen. The conscious pairing of him with a younger popular actor to bring back his success is just so calculated and false.

The story is set in an all boys university, next to an all girls university. The headmaster, Narayan Shankar (Amitabh Bachchan), is strict and detests the mere mention of love. Suddenly a young romantic music teacher, Raj Aryan Malhotra (Sharukh Khan), comes to teach his students to follow their dreams. As a student, Raj loved Narayan's daughter Megha Shankar (Aishwarya) but when Narayan discovered this he had Raj expelled. Tormented and bitter at being separated from her lover Megha killed herself but Raj never stopped loving her.

For a film with an age-old message about love and hate it gets a lot wrong. Why would Narayan Shankar allow Raj, who clearly annoys him, to work in his university for so long? Why are we meant to admire Megha's suicide which was clearly an act of defiance against her protective father rather than love for Raj?
Throughout the film Narayan Shankar is shown to be an old fashioned but admirable character despite his flaws. He sticks to his principles but is patient with Raj and tries to modernise slowly. Why is is then that Raj not only tries to lay the blame of Megha's death on him, but ruins him by taking away his livelihood as well?

Overall Mohabbatein is a legend fueled by Sharukh and Amitabh fans. Watch it as a film, not to see either of these too, and you'll see it is much like the rest of the 90's Bollywood 'love is more important than morals' stuff. If you like that kind of thing I am sure that you'll enjoy this. The setting is beautiful as is the soundtrack but it doesn't offer anything new and that's where it lost my interest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mohabbatein [DVD]
Mohabbatein [DVD] by Aditya Chopra (DVD - 2003)