5.0 out of 5 stars 26cm SHALLOW Casserole
I have both the 26cm and 30 cm shallow casserole dishes. As you would expect from Le Creuset, they are easy to use on both the hob and in the oven (or both, depending on the recipe you use them for). As you would also expect of cast iron (enamelled interior), they are also fairly weighty when full.

The 26cm casserole is just about the right size to comfortably...
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by S. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour. Damn heavy
Well waht do you expect. This is one of those high end quality products. My only contribution is that it heats up quick and stays hot and continues to cook the food after the flame is switched off.
Published 9 months ago by Dr. J. M. Zhang

5.0 out of 5 stars 26cm SHALLOW Casserole, 4 Dec 2010
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The 26cm casserole is just about the right size to comfortably prepare a meal for two without the contents being in danger of spilling out if stirred on the hob. The 30cm is large enough to comfortably hold a meal for four. The 26cm fits nicely inside the 30cm, sitting on the lid of the former and thus the pair do not use up an awful lot of cupboard space, which is always a boon.

Cleaning is a breeze, they come up like new in the dishwasher or when washed by hand.

Mine both had sticky labels on the base; I mention this only because I remembered to remove one but not the second - the smoke alarm and a smell of chemical burning alerted me to my omission when the dish in question was otherwise happily cooking on the hob. Oops! Anyway, even the burnt label came off cleanly, so no harm done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous pan, 22 Oct 2012
I actually bought this casserole dish in a Le Creuset Outlet Store but had to tell Amazon customers how wonderful it is.
You need to take a little time to bring it to temperature but after that the world is your oyster. I've used it to fry, stir fry, stew etc etc, even make top crust pies, make the filling in the dish then chucking on a pastry lid. Once hot it keeps the heat for ages so is economical as a lower hob/ oven temperature will keep it at a working level. One tip I generally make my casseroles for consumption the following day (better flavour) if I need to reheat straight from the fridge I put the the casserole in the unheated oven then bring to working heat, the enamel will love you for it. I calculate my cooking time from when the oven reaches temp. as normal. I own just two Le creuset casseroles, one of which I've had for almost 20 years, and they are by far the most used of all my pots and pans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Creuset top of the pots, 4 Feb 2009
V. M. Johnson (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
Wish I had invested in Le Creuset years ago as they are the best cooking pots around. I now have a selection and although I own stainless steel too, my loyalty remains with Le Creuset. The shallow buffet is extremely versatile, it has more depth than a frying pan and can be used in the oven as well as on top. I even found it great for slow cooking and it holds a fair amount of food and with the frying pan of the same size, you will find the buffet lid fits perfectly. A great buy, and a good price at the time I bought it. Like that one useful knife in the kitchen it is used daily. I would certainly recommend this item and it's good looking too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gift, 25 July 2011
H. Gargett "pink_paw" (Yorkshire UK!!) - See all my reviews
I bought this Le Creuset casserole dish for mothers day for my mum, who has been wanting one for a long time now, but couldn't afford it. It was a good price when bought, and came quickly. I went for the smaller size because I had read they can be quite heavy and my mother has joint problems so thought it was best. I know she has used it quite a lot, and finds it cooks great and when full she can just about manage to lift it, so anyone without joint problems should find the smaller size fine! My father noted it was also really easy to clean too! I have been wanting Le Creuset deep casserole dishes for ages so might save up and buy myself one after the good commemnts from my mother!

5.0 out of 5 stars fab item recommended, 6 Jun 2012
This is my 2nd Le Crueset purchase (I already have the 20cm casserole). This is fab, its great for use as a frying pan (bacon, steaks, browning meat) but equally as good for casseroles, chillis and spag bol. Its great for hob to oven use. If you are only going to purchase 1 Le crueset then get this as its versatile and you wouldnt need much else.
item was delievered (supersave del for free) superquick by courier, a week earlier than expected and was packaged very well.
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't live without it, 17 April 2011
TC (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I saw Jamie Oliver using this shallow casserole on TV and wanted one - I love my other Le Creuset pans and this one looked so versatile. It was expensive but it has been a great buy. I probably use it every other day, it works as a casserole and as a frying pan and looks great on the table. I am eying up the smaller one for when I am cooking for just two of us. Strongly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for risotto!, 27 Feb 2007
CAST IRON SHALLOW (aka BUFFET) CASSEROLE 26 cm size
Approximate capacity : 2L

Sturdily boxed, complete with full cast iron use/care instruction booklet.

An old favourite of mine, the shallow wide base of this particular casserole allows the maximum contact between food and heat.
This resultant even heat retention enables cooking efficiency at low or medium temperatures, helping to conserve energy and keep fuel bills lower....also very important in the current climate.

Suitable for any hob-top or pop it in the oven, even under the grill to brown off!
A HEAVYWEIGHT, this dish has well-designed lifting handles, but don't forget your oven gloves.
Relatively easy to wash up by hand although it can require a bit of soaking and a rub with a plastic brush....for those more stubborn cooked-on food remains.
Dishwasher safe.

My current favourite recipe in this 'pot', is 'Made-Up Tuscan Sausage Stew', from the super book:-

Fay's Family Food, by Fay Ripley

....a true comfort recipe for warming up at Hallowe'en or Bonfire Night, just around the corner, at the time of writing!

BUT........if you are looking for further inspiration, Sue Cutts, one of Le Creuset's consultants, has a chapter dedicated to the SHALLOW CASSEROLES in her book:-

and my favourite is:-

'Poached Fruits in Orange Syrup'

from page 35, serving 6, which makes full use of this super dish in its 'cook-and-serve' role, and I am always proud to take it direct to the table!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Paella - this 'Shallow' Casserole., 27 Feb 2007
Size 26 cm
Approximate capacity : 2L
MATERIAL : CAST IRON
COLOUR - ALMOND

An old favourite of mine, the shallow, wide base of this particular casserole allows the maximum contact between food and heat. This resultant even heat retention enables cooking efficiency at low or medium temperatures, helping to conserve energy and keep fuel bills lower....very important in the current climate!

Suitable for any hob-top or pop it in the oven...even under the grill to brown off. Well designed lifting handles, but don't forget your oven gloves.
Relatively easy to wash up by hand although it can require a bit of soaking and a rub with a plastic brush, for those more stubborn cooked-on food remains.
Dishwasher safe.

If you are looking for inspiration, Sue Cutts, has a chapter dedicated to the SHALLOW CASSEROLES in her book entitled, The Cast Iron Way to Cook, and my current favourite is:

'Poached Fruits in Orange Syrup', from page 35, which makes full use of this super dish in its 'cook-and-serve' role!

Also available in a NEW SMALLER 22 cm size, along with a larger 30cm/3.2L size

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Paella - this 'SHALLOW' CASSEROLE, 20 Feb 2007
from Le Creuset.

Approx. Diameter - 26cm
Approx. Capacity - 2L
Sturdily boxed

Well designed lifting handles, but don't forget your oven gloves.

Dishwasher safe.

If you are looking for inspiration, Sue Cutts, one of Le Creuset's consultants, has a chapter dedicated to the SHALLOW CASSEROLES in her book:-

and my current favourite is:-

'Poached Fruits in Orange Syrup'

from page 35, serving 6, which makes full use of this super dish in its 'cook-and-serve' role.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Paella - this 'SHALLOW' CASSEROLE, 20 Feb 2007
from Le Creuset.

Approx. Diameter - 26cm
Approx. Capacity - 2L
Sturdily boxed

Well designed lifting handles, but don't forget your oven gloves.

and my current favourite is:-