Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 October 2009
...a typical incisive lyric from this most gifted of songwriters. If i was to quote any of the dozens of other brilliant songs Steve has released , too few people would know the words.
Anyway , i'm assuming anyone reading this , has at least some knowledge of his genius.
This is a beautiful album ,if you like the mans unique voice , well then you cannot go wrong here ,he is in fine form and with only acoustic instruments to accompany him ,the songs take on a new life.Not that the originals were not works of wonder , they were/are. Here, you simply get to enjoy them in a whole new way.
The acoustic playing by partner Nick Pynn is immaculate, but that's not to suggest it doesn't have heart,he has a style both ,serene and manic, as required.if this was an instrumental cd it would still would be worthy of purchase.
However it is'nt , and the unobtrusive instruments ,bring Steve's lyrics to ones attention as never before , and what a great lyricist he is ,it is sad in the extreme, tragic even, that so many people really only know 'Smile',and see Harley/Rebel as, '1 hit/song wonders'.
Hey,even if you are of this opinion ,buy this anyway, it contains a great version of that song, and once you hear the other masterpieces , you will be a fan forever.
P.S.- as far as i can tell, the more expensive STRIPPED TO THE BARE BONES cd,is exactly the same music,be warned.
on 5 April 2011
Its hard to believe when listening to this cd that it is performed by only two men. There is so much power its frightening.Harley is more than Come Up and See Me, he is one of our best song writers. Just listen to Sebastian for proof, why not by Face to Face by Cockney Rebel at the same time, another great live album by Harley.
on 21 May 2013
As a fan of live music I purchased this expecting to get realism and atmosphere along with great music.
That is exactly what I got!!!. The songs are played and sung with passion and the instruments are crisps and real.
I sat and listened all the way through without moving.

Yes there are a couple of tracks which are slightly of lesser interest but then comes another great one.
If your expecting to get the usual Steve Harley sound forget it, this is acoustic and sounds very differnt in nearly everyway.

If you except everytrack as being new and don't refer back to the standard track you will love it.
My wife couldn't do this and thought the redention of come up an see me make me smile was nothing sort of awfull.

I luv it!!
on 25 November 2011
This is a very tight set of every ones favourite songs in a very different format. This is quality fare, it is only two people which is cause for disbelief really. I once saw Hugh cornwell play at Borders in Bournemouth, he was promoting his book and he played ten or so Stranglers numbers and he got sounds out of his guitar out of proportion to what I was seeing, and this is one of those. This is a great CD I took a chance on it, and was well impressed, I totally recommend this superb offering.
on 16 August 2014
I have always been aware of Steve Harley but have only recently discovered what an excellent songwriter and performer he really is. This album is great and is my current favourite. All the songs sound great thanks to some excellent recordings and what is even more surprising is it is only two people on stage but they sound absolutely fantastic. All I can say it is a shame it has taken me so long to appreciate his music but this Album is well worth anyone's money, whether you be a hard core fan or recent convert as I am. Stand out tracks are
Star for a week (Dino)
Tumbling Down
and Sebastian

buy it now
on 5 February 2012
not Harley's best but a worthwhile edition to a collection. Won't play it all that often but beginning to grow on me the more I play it
on 13 August 2013
Really good cd would recommend this to anyone a really lovely cd to listen to i brouht it for my husband and he really pleased with it
on 28 October 2014
it is simple The man is a musical genius. Listen to the songs, the words, the music some tracks are sublime others merely outstanding. Harley is one of our greatest ever performers.
on 2 September 2015
Item came as described, very happy with service.
on 5 February 2016
Excellent, I wish i'd bought it sooner/