on 15 March 2001
Gary Moore is back with his best blues/rock album since Still Got The Blues... but maybe this Back To The Blues is even better?
Having been more experimental with his last 2 albums, Dark Day In Paradise and A Different Beat, this new album is pure blues/rock at its very best.
There are 10 songs, 6 originals.
The album opens with Enough Of the Blues which starts as a very quiet old style Robert Johnson blues before exploding into a loud, driving, typical Gary Moore blues which begs you to turn your hifi up!
Next up is the BB King cover which Gary does very well, You Upset Me Baby is a good song in the style of Since I Met You Baby and Too Tired from the previous After Hours and Still Got The Blues albums. Complete with brass section too, an uplifting blues number!
The next song, an original, Cold Black Night has a nice lyric and good riff. It is a good song with Moore demonstrating his Hendrix style guitar licks in the middle of the song. Alright!
Next up is a highlight for me, showing Moore's skill for creating atmosphere and emotion, Stormy Monday the classic blues song is excellently played. Moore plays some great licks on this song with showing out off like he sometimes tends to do when playing slow paced numbers. In deed the new album has Gary playing more relaxed and focused on hitting the right amount of notes and playing notes not just for the sake of it. He seems to have matured with regards to playing blues!
Ain't Got You is next up and is a cover with good riff, good lyrics. Driving rythmn.. cool!
Picture of the Moon is the 6th track and is penned by Moore, similar to Still Got The Blues and Parisian Walkways. It is a nice ballad, laid back, romantic song, but not quite as good as its 2 big brothers!
Looking Back is next, a rocking number that is good, though nothing special.
The instrumental The Prophet is next, similar to The Loner. An atmospheric song.
The best song of the album How Many Lies is next, a rocking blues with a great riff and excellent lyrics. Moore at his best!
The traditional end of album ballad, this time it is Drowning in Tears, closes the album and is a truly wonderful song. Nice guitar work and at over 9 minutes it is a nice way to close the album.
Overall.... fantastic. After being somewhat disappointed with the previous album, the Back To The Blues comeback is a truly great album. Buy it, play it loud and listen to a guitarist who is at one with this music and his guitar!
Thanks Gary!
on 23 March 2001
I'm glad to see that gary has returned to his roots,to bring us what we've all been waiting for since After Hours.This will be added to a number of albums which I play on a regular basis which are timeless,including "Still got the blues" and "After hours", and which never fail to pluck that string inside every time you hear a certain song,chord or riff and for me this is a long awaited return to his true form.I have played this constantly,since I received it the day after it was released,having ordered it in January.Although not as good as the above albums,It isn't a kick on the arse off it and I'm sure I will grow to love it like a long lost brother the more I play it.In particular the first track "Enough of the blues" is an absolute belter with a devilishly deceiving intro which quickly changes into an allout axe attack,absolutely superb!To sum up,Enough of the blues? Not for me,not by a long shot,don't ever change Gary Moore.
on 27 March 2001
I was a big Gary Moore fan years ago and actually met him in Nottingham 15 years ago. His rock music is second to none but like me he appears to have mellowed with age and I now prefer the softer side of his talents. I still listen to the old stuff but I cannot stop listening to his blues. Back to the blues is a classic album with some amazing tracks and just the most incredible guitar work. Keep it up Gary can't wait to see you in Wolverhampton next week.
on 25 June 2001
Having followed Gary Moore since the early days from the corridors of power album and all subsequent albums and tours since,in my opinion this album is the pinnacle of the mans career.
Having toured extensively throughout the UK in the last 2 years this album captures the raw power and craftsman ship of a man on top of his game.
Not only is this a cracking album,the live performances of the man demonstrate the ability to produce the same quality of playing and singing live.
Gone have the experimentations of Dark days and a different beat but more of the Blues with hard edged rock delicatley balanced which was captured so well on the still got the blues album but until now missing for too long.
A good album and first class extensive UK tour not an overproduced/overmarketed bi centenary album with a couple of tour dates thrown in to keep the massess quiet.
An absolute must for all rock and blues fans.
Keep it up Gary Moore : Don's miss Sheffield off the venues!!!
on 11 March 2001
I bought this cd in a auction a month before release date so I know it well..Even though Gary Moore Is My favorite guitarist It is still great If he's not yours .Title track starts out quiet like a perfect robert Johnson song Then suprise you might have to turn it down ITs Gary Moore At His Best .Some of the Lead's on this cd sound alot like Alvin Lee Maybe because he's using that style Gibson Guitar.Any way Theres some Licks that sound exactly like Jimi Hendrix-Gary's really playing his stuff on this one Gotta have it If you like or love the Blues!!!
on 2 March 2011
Garry Moore has done CD's that have more blues on than this (Bad for you Baby springs to mind). There is a large amount of rock orientated blues on this, not that that's a great problem as far as I'm concerned but the title is a bit missleading.

A good listen although not quite what I expected.
on 15 March 2014
I stumbled across this and there is some fine playing - demonstrating what we're missing with Gary Moore's early passing. The album is perhaps not taking anyone anywhere new (but then it is titled Back to the Blues!) but there are some toe curling (in a good way) intense bits and some equally impressive slower tunes to be enjoyed on the album. Stormy Monday is a nod to Clapton with John Mayall and he carries that off brilliantly, Picture of the Moon is also painfully raw emotion, Great stuff
on 7 October 2013
I love Gary Moore. I love him as a rocker but most of all as a blues man. This is a great album of great songs. Looking Back in one of my favourites and its so catchy, once heard often sung!. None of the tracks are poor, I also love the Prophet and Enough of the Blues and rate them just as highly. If you don't have this album you should. Its a great album and shows how Blues can sound and should be played by someone who knows. I miss Gary very much. RIP your passing was way too soon.
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2002
The eleven years between "Still Got The Blues" have been a rum old time for Gary Moore. Sparked by the success of the album Moore spent the first half of the decade cashing in with hi-profile follow-ups such as Live Blues and After Hours. However in 1996 he announced a change of direction and then promptly saw his two subsequent efforts Dark Days In Paradise and Different Beat enjoy decidedly "cool" receptions. Which brings us neatly to this album. It's not to say that this is a bad album; it's not; Moore's firey fretwork will please his fans. It's just that listening to this album creates a sense of strained deja vu. For example his cover of Stormy Monday is a straight cop of "The Sky Is Crying", while the most audacious contribution is an original (one of six out of the nine tracks) "Picture of the Moon" with the nasty combination of a Gibson guitar and compressor - Please, just how many times does Moore think he can rework the far superior "Parisienne Walkways"??? Ultimately, this just sums up a cynical attempt to appease the bank manager and record label by going back to a tried and tested formula. As I've said before this is not bad...but a definite could do better
on 9 November 2015
A lot of the tracks I never knew before or heard so this was a leap into the unknown but as he was a guitarist be it blues or rock I wasn't disappointed. I'm just sorry I didn't discover this years ago