5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
This is one of my favourite films, I love it.The funny bits where Richard Gere breaks into song such as in the shower scene and at the end makes it very memorable.I watch it when I feel down and it cheers me up
Published 5 months ago by Gilligan

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth an enjoyable Laugh
Obviously atrocious, yet in its own way highly entertaining, remake of a seminal film. Richard Gere is clearly enjoying himself thoroughly hamming it up and Valerie Kaprisky, despite the laughable english accent and terrible script, looks like another Brigitte Bardot
Published 5 months ago by john strongman

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth an enjoyable Laugh, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Breathless (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic film, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] (DVD)
a fantastic old favorite film of mine :) great storyline and characters :) richard gere in his younger days looking mighty fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars great film, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] (DVD)
one of my all time favourite films
had it on video and just had
to get the dvd, Richard Gere is suberb

5.0 out of 5 stars Gere at his greatest!, 2 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Breathless [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Although it seems to have a lot of negative feedback, Breathless remains my all time favourite film. The soundtrack (which I have tried desperately to find) and cinematic shots of Los Angeles alone make this film worth a watch. It's quite nostalgic and I tend to yearn for hot summer evenings now long past while watching it. This is Gere at his best for me. His cheeky 'bad boy' image in Breathless earns him the hearthrob status he deserves. I find myself hopelessy in love with lovable rogue Jesse Lujack and I am pleasantly surprised whenever Lujack mannerisms pop up in Gere's other movies!
I have watched this film countless times and it still hasn't lost its appeal for me. I'd say it's a must for Richard Gere fans who haven't yet seen it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughably bad, 25 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Breathless [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This American remake of Jean-Luc Godard's classic, A Bout de Souffe, is incredibly funny. Not because it is meant to be, but because it is so laughably bad. Godard's existential ramblings were perfect for the original and the film (Jean-Paul Belmondo especially) was effortlessly cool. However, apply the same existential ramblings to a conventionally-told American film and you have a story that goes nowhere and bores you in the process. Richard Gere is incredibly irritating as the hero, Jesse and Valaire Kaprisky is the eiptomy of bland. The film would have worked better as a basical love story, or perhaps if McBride hadn't tried to be quite as faithful to Godard's original, but sadly what is left over is a film that will please nobody. If you've never seen it before, it's really nothing special. If you've seen the original, you could always watch this afterwards for pure comedy value.

1.0 out of 5 stars It pained me to give it one star, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] (DVD)
The remake of A Bout de Souffle leaves a lot to be desired. The only reason I ever cast eyes at it was because of a University presentation. Comparing the two in intimate aesthetical detail alone led me to locking myself up in a bedroom with coffee and cigarettes desperately trying to analyse Gere's performance without laughing myself into a coma. I indeed became John Paul Belmondo, on the run from the law after attempting to break into Gere's household and shake him until he came up with an explanation for his acting style. Belmondo admires Bogart, Gere idolises the Silver Surfer. If he'd remained stationary throughout the entire film with comic book speech bubbles appearing from his mouth then the film might have been 100 times better. Godard's original may have had it's ego but it is surpassed by Gere's misguided sense of his own talent. My advice, watch the orginial instead

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't worth not watching, 19 Aug 2013
Mr. James Dickson (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] (DVD)
Like an energetic spayed pup yapping and humping your leg, frantically begging for attention (except not cute and lovable), you might just feel like putting Richard Gere down and saving the poor guy from his own horrid, tumultuous existence. It's really quite a performance to behold, and probably the main reason to watch the film, as you can't quite imagine how he was allowed to prance around like an anachronistic Teddy Boy reject in need of a good horse tranquilliser to bring him down. He is just too over the top and far too ridiculous to believe that anyone could have known this character for more than an hour and not killed him, or themselves, on the spot. And yet...

...at times painful, hilarious (for absolutely the most wrong reasons but in the best possible way), disturbing, sexy, or just down right rubbish, this is one of those films that really shouldn't work. And it doesn't work. But then kind of does, in a way that is almost the wrong kind of appealing, and is pretty much just dire and tragic but you want to try and find some solace from it. It's quite often cringingly bad to watch, as Richard Gere is just so contemptible you couldn't conceive. I don't mean contemptible for lack of morals, a struggling, imperfect anti-hero, I mean contemptible as in relentlessly irritating and loathsome character of the highest degree with no redeeming features whatsoever. Who knows, maybe that's what he was going for.

Given his loathsomeness, the most amazing aspect of the film is for Valérie Kaprisky to be enamoured with the guy. Powerfully attractive and seductive as she is, she does at least have some appealing characteristics beyond the superficial, though I won't deny the fact that the fair amount of nudity/semi-nakedness helped keep my attention; as shallow and vacuous as that sounds, its not half as shallow and empty as Richard Gere's character or his tedious Silver Surfer idolatry (never before have I hated a superhero of whom I know nothing about, by the mere act of association with this twerp).

Anyway, something a lot more coherent should have been said of this film, not that the film deserves it but you certainly deserve better to inform your opinion. In a way it's kind of fitting that this doesn't make much sense as I really have no idea what I'm meant to draw from it. I'd like to recommend A Bout De Souffle instead, but chances are you've committed to watching this anyway and you're just scanning reviews in preparation or as an afterthought to see how far opinion sways, or like me, you wanted to make the comparison between the films for yourself.

I can see how this film could effect people in many different ways; there's not much to it, but there's enough for people to find something to love or hate, and I guess that's something. Although terrible, I don't hate Breathless, and while I wouldn't say it's worth watching, it isn't worth not watching. If nothing else, it's fun to compare (or rather contrast) with A Bout De Souffle and refreshing to see not a shot for shot remake, but instead a very different thematic or broadly character-driven remake. This is perfect territory for Film studies/English literature essays, as you can say a lot without really getting anywhere. Sorry about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars breathless, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Breathless [DVD] (DVD)
In my case this is the film that brought Richard Gere to my attention, better by far than the older french version.
A must see film, and one for your collection if you are a Gere fan.
Purchased at Amazon.co.uk. always a five star service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Nov 2014
Excellent

Breathless [DVD]
Breathless [DVD] by Jim McBride (DVD - 2001)