5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best Hi Def transfer yet?
In March of this year, Paramount Pictures and Sky got together to restore two British films for a Hi Def release. Those films were "Zulu" and "The Italian Job".
The former was originally shown following its restoration on Sky's Hi Def TV channels and has now made it to Blu-ray. Originally this was to have been an HD DVD release back in June but like so many others...
Published on 3 Nov 2008 by D. I. Shipley

1.0 out of 5 stars Censored edition
Is "Zulu" my favourite film? It could well be. Five stars for the original film then, without question. Does the Blu-ray look good? Yes, although the colours are unnaturally vivid now, a bit like the post-"conservation" Sistine Chapel ceiling. Whether you like your redcoats positively glowing is a matter of taste (I'd prefer the picture toned down a little bit), but...
Published on 4 Sep 2012 by Andrew Cousins

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Zulu...You MUST get this!!!!, 24 Sep 2009
A couple of weeks ago I became the proud owner of a new Samsung plasma TV 50" 1080p. (Please forgive this tiny boast, but it is relevant to my review).

Zulu was the 1st Blu Ray (feature film) I bought.
I purchased the Blu Ray sampler disk previously, which showed clips of aquariums, the Antarctic, and Hawaii, but all shot on video, so the source material looked sharp anyway.

I had seen displays of 1080p movies in store windows, but these were usually a Disney/Pixar title.

Now I already owned the Dvd release of Zulu, it is a film I have loved for years...Fantastic picture, great sound.
I suspected the Blu ray version would be a big improvement over my Dvd, but my god, how wrong could I have been?

It is a staggering improvement!!!

I'm not laying it on thick here, when I say; "This title is better than ANY modern film I own on Blu Ray"
And since buying Zulu, I have bought more than a dozen Blu-Ray discs. So I think I draw a fair comparison. All are put into my trusty PS3, and immediately compared (Picture-wise first, then sound) against Zulu.

All (In my humble opinion) have fallen short of the stellar treatment this classic of Brit'-Cinema, has received.

If you want to show off 1080p; Then get Zulu.
Hook a PS3 up to a decent amp' then watch Zulu with the sound waaaaay up!

Front Ranks FIRE.
Rear Ranks FIRE...
3rd Ranks FIRE........

OH Yea!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Film lover from the USA, 13 May 2010
I was only able to find this in the Amazon UK site. Pity it's not available in the USA, but since it's a region-free Blu-ray, I could watch it. The video quality is sharp, pristine, amazing, due to the original film shot in 65mm, and the painstaking transfer. Amazon UK's pricing and service was top-notch for this USA customer. I suggest a "Region-Free" category, not just a user "tag" based classification. I found this gem through Blu-Ray.com.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Now...and More Vivid in DVD, 26 Sep 2005
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zulu [1964] [DVD] (DVD)
I well recall the first time I saw this film. It was during the summer of 1964. My family and I were vacationing with another family, sharing a rental house on the New England shore. Zulu was the only film available to see at the village theatre. My friend and I could not convince our wives to join us so we went alone. (The title deterred them.) After the deliberately slow introduction of setting, circumstances, and characters, director Cy Raker Endfield begins to accelerate the plot developments and soon our emotions became wholly engaged in the subsequent action. Later, the more we raved about Zulu, the more reassured our wives became that they had not missed anything special. They still think that and I could not disagree more.

The film recreates an especially important segment of British military history: the siege of the Rorke's Drift outpost in Natal, South Africa, in January of 1879, when a company of 120 soldiers (29 Welsh, 50 English and the rest made up of Scots, Irish and other nationalities) defended the outpost against more than 4,000 Zulu warriors. Their commanding officer (a lieutenant played by Stanley Baker who also produced the film) and one other officer (played by Michael Caine) had no prior combat experience. Fortunately, they are supported by Color Sergeant Bourne (masterfully portrayed by Nigel Green) as they and their comrades beat back one ferocious attack after another. The carnage is substantial and graphic but never gratuitous. As some indication of the defenders' courage, the viewer later learns that from 1856 until 1964 when the film was made, only 1,344 Victoria Crosses had been awarded...eleven to men in the Rorke's Drift contingent. (Of special note is the fact that the voice-over narration which includes this information is provided by Richard Burton.) Aside from the combat itself, the film offers so much else. For example, the relationship between the two officers which proceeds from initial discomfort to mutual respect. Also the sub plot involving the Reverend Otto Witt (Jack Hawkins) and his daughter Margareta (Ulla Jacobsson) who are allowed to depart a Zulu camp in peace, arriving at Rorke's Drift before the Zulus do. Witt tries but fails to convince Lt. John Chard (Baker) to avoid a military confrontation. Finally, special credit must be given to James Booth for his indelible portrayal of Private Henry Hook, a malcontent and malingerer who (in the crucible of ferocious hand-to-hand combat) becomes transformed into a reluctant but admirable hero, one of the eleven Victoria Cross recipients.

As my friend and I departed the village theatre almost 40 years ago, we said nothing to each other. Only later, in response to our wives' inquiries, did we express our reactions to what we had experienced, albeit vicariously. Then and now, we agree, although the film celebrates courage among both the Welsh troops and their Zulu adversaries, it does not celebrate the circumstances at Rorke's Drift which require it. Endfield and Baker leave no doubt about this point at the film's conclusion. Nor do I wish to when completing this brief commentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always, always a classic... BUT, 24 Nov 2007
T. Pollard "timpollard" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
...on this release I wish the commentary track had more Sheldon Hall and less Robert Porter, because although I respect Mr Porter and his technical acheivements greatly, some of his historical observations and comments are either incorrect or misleading (at least as far as I understand the facts), and Sheldon Hall seems to be too polite to correct him, which is a great shame.

But the film? Priceless, as always. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., 22 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Zulu [VHS] [1964] (VHS Tape)
Despite some inaccuracies , this depiction of a Welsh regiment [made up of many Englishmen] who stood firm against a magnificent Zulu army still raises the hairs on one's neck.At first viewing you may be forgiven for thinking this is fiction ,but upon discovering that this battle is fact,it is impossible not to be swept away by the scenery,music [Ivor Emannuel-"Men of Harlech"] and fighting scenes.
I had the pleasure of seeing this film as a boy in the mid 1960's and it still serves as a reminder that even in the darkest moments,a strong spirit can prevail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical Film, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Zulu [DVD] (DVD)
A great film of a historical battle, Tremendous scenes of a heroic battles against overwhelming odds - the 11 VCs were well deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Front rank....FIRE!, 30 Oct 2005
Philip Kane "the_amazing_Phil" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zulu [1964] [DVD] (DVD)
The story of 97 men and officers of the British army's Welsh Borderers regiment defending a small mission station against 4000 Zulu warriors is one of those few remarkable tales that can't be improved upon by injecting fiction (unlike some dubious enigma machine related films I could mention...). Granted, Hook wasn't really a mallingering drunk (but we needed an anti-hero), and I'm pretty sure they didn't sing Men of Harloch on the day...but this film is magnificent.
The whole thing's shot on location, and there's a cast of literally thousands. But unlike some war films it stays grounded in reality, the violence isn't over done, there's no rambo crap going on, just 100 redcoats holding back more than 40 times their number for a day and a night.
Britain's highest military honour is the Victoria Cross, and ELEVEN were handed out that day, and I think this film portrays the events excellently. The Zulus are portrayed as noble warriors fighting for their land, and aren't demonised as "bloody savages" like native americans sadly seem to be in some films. I don't want to give away too much, but this really is a classic, though I dare say it's not for those with short attention spans as the action really kicks off about half way through. I think part of what makes this film magic is that it happened, it's not made up, this is a true story of courage and survival in the face of almost impossible odds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic and historic film., 28 Dec 2006
M. MCGEAGH (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zulu [1964] [DVD] (DVD)
Being South African myself, I have grown up watching this film repetitively throughout my childhood, and I feel this film is superb. I may be biased, but I think it is a really well produced and acted film, as well as very interesting to watch the events unfold.

Many people nowadays may be wanting to see this film mainly due to Michael Caine starring in it, and some feel disappointed as a result compared to his other work. Well all I can say is that its worth watching regardless of who's acting in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray with a consideration for American buyers, 30 Jan 2010
There's enough synopsis of the movie already. This is strickly about the blu-ray disc. It doesn't get any better than this! I'm in America and bought this from the U.K. Amazon site because it was drastically cheaper than the U.S. site. I took the advice from another reviewer. It played with absolutely no problems on my player. I didn't have to tweak anything. It says it's region free, and it is. Americans, buy this here and don't worry about whether or not it'll play. It will.

As for the blu-ray quality, it's worth the penny or the pence. Where the dvd copy was a poor version, bouncing in and out of widescreen to normal to widescreen again, this is all widescreen. The copy is crisp. Unlike the dvd version which is unbelievably fuzzy, the blu-ray is refreshing. You can see everything in amazing clarity. The colors are brighter. The copy just blows me away. I always loved this movie, and the blu-ray edition makes me love it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Spectacular Movie, 3 Aug 2008
AJ "Alan" (Joburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This movie in my opinion is one of the best that was ever made.The movie enjoyed splendid location,superb actors and a great sountrack from John Barry.As to accuracy its not bad at all and should give you excellent entertainment value.The battle scenes in the film are superb and really well done and for a movie of this age has stood the test of time,I feel it was also good that Cy Enfieild tried to portray both sides of the story and thus made it more interesting to digest.Ive been to Rorkes Drift on a few occassions and its a great place to vist and get the feel of what really happened and take it all in,you also get a smashing cup of tea and a scone at the little restaurant.Back to the movie if you want to watch a brilliant epic movie that will keep you viewed to your TV then you need to get Zulu for your DVD collection.A true classic amongst classics,you will love this movie,I would also suggest get yourself a copy of Zulu Dawn while not as good as Zulu its still an excellent movie with great land scapes,quality acting and plenty of action and a must for your DVD collection,highly recommended.Hope my review is of help to you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

Zulu [1964] [DVD]
Zulu [1964] [DVD] by Cy Endfield (DVD - 2002)