5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT COUNTRY ROCK, 24 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Diamonds & Dirt (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Rodney Crowell before until I heard my dad playing this album in the car and now I cant stop listening to it! He really is a craftsman when it comes to writing songs and there is a beautiful duet with wife Roseanne Cash on Its Such A Small World. Highlights are I Know You're Married and Brand New Rag which you will not be able to get out of your head because they are so catchy! Ive borrowed all the other albums from my dad after listening to this album but this is still my favourite along with Keys To The Highway because it also has some beautiful ballads. Buy this album if you appreciate good song writing!

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 country billboard number one singles - and out of print, 6 Aug. 2009
J. Eddelbuettel "AudioViel" (Hamburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds and Dirt (Audio CD)
I managed to get the remastered and expanded version, used and in good quality. Rodney was definitely aiming for commercial success here and his lyrics are treating more mainstream themes than his later albums and there's also nothing of the sheer brilliance of Until I Gain Control Again here. But by late Eighties standards this is a clean and upbeat production with a drummer that sounds just slightly like a drum machine but excellent players on traditional instruments otherwise. Great steel guitar work. It is incredibly entertaining country (rock) music. The historical relevance is a little dwarved by Garth Brooks later accomplishments. But definitely: This should be available to a wider audience. Buy - if you can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing...an amazing talent., 19 May 2014
Stephen Wish (North London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds and Dirt (Audio CD)
Excellent as an introduction to the massive talents of this man... and he has done so much more! This one covers a lot of classic country themes, showing the roots he grew from. Then try a later album to hear where he took his talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rodney's most commercial album, 8 Aug. 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diamonds & Dirt (Audio CD)
Rodney has achieved considerable success as a musician, songwriter and record producer but his determination to do things his way has resulted in a patchy career as a performer - not because any of his albums are anything but brilliant, but because they rarely appeal to mainstream fans. Nevertheless, Rodney showed via this album that he could appeal to the masses. It was by far his most commercially successful album, yielding five number one hits on the American country charts.
The big hits were Above and beyond (a cover of an old Harlan Howard song that originally provided Buck Owens with a major country hit), It's such a small world (a duet with then-wife Rosanne Cash), I couldn't leave you if I tried, She's crazy for leaving and the Grammy-winning song, After all this time. The opening track, Crazy baby, is an upbeat rocking song featuring nifty piano playing by Barry Beckett but I wonder what the track might have sounded like with Jerry Lee Lewis or Marcia Ball on piano. Barry is good but not in their class. Of the other tracks, I particularly like I know you're married and I never knew I could lose you. Brand new rag and Last waltz, also excellent original songs, completed the original album. This re-mastered edition features three bonus demo tracks recorded at around the same time.
This is undoubtedly a classic album. Whether it is Rodney's best work depends on your perspective. Nevertheless, this remains by far Rodney's most popular album and serves as a great introduction to Rodney's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rodney Crowell, 20 Mar. 2013
jan s (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds and Dirt (Audio CD)
I've only just found RC's music - although I recognise many of his songs as they are so popular with other artists. I love this CD - cannot say more - its good vintage stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Mar. 2015
Cj Dower - See all my reviews
one of his best

Diamonds & Dirt
Diamonds & Dirt by Rodney Crowell (Audio CD - 2001)