5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant live performance
Published on 1 Sep 2008 by Ophiicus

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road but fun
Being a big fan of Robert's Pre-90s studio work, I was intrigued when I saw this sitting in my local record shop. The only live stuff of Robert's that I'd heard before was on the "Maybe it's live" album.
Published on 15 Oct 2001 by Scott Graves (scott@sjgraves.f...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant live performance, 1 Sep 2008
Ophiicus (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Live At The Apollo (Audio CD)
Rarely do I hear a live album and think it contains material performed better than the studio recordings of the tracks featured, but this is one of them. He uses a vocoder to great effect on several tracks, most notably "Johnny and Mary" which is a great version. I don't know if he actually had a live percussionist for "Looking for Clues" but whether he did or not it comes of superbly well and the a capella in "Pride" adds a great deal to the track, which I did not think would come off well live.

This is a great performance and has enetered the very small list of live albums that I am more than happy to listen to repeatedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars ITS' A LIVE CD, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Live At The Apollo (Audio CD)
As a concert CD, it is very good. Not the best sound quality but more than adequate. Robert Palmer's voice is legendary and he died too young!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant live work from Robert Palmer, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Live At The Apollo (Audio CD)
As a kid, I gathered together Robert Palmer's works on cassette.

As I got older (a bit), I got some of them on CD, but had bits missing.

I was looking at the back catalogue the other day and thought that this live CD looked to contain some of my favourite tracks. It certainly does and they're in a slightly different format to the recordings you would be used to.

A great CD, with great work, from a great artist, sorely missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road but fun, 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Live At The Apollo (Audio CD)
After only one listen, my impressions were mixed. The sound on the album came across as very different, with lots of processing on the vocals and instruments evident. The sound gripped me but some of the performances left me a bit wanting. Robert sounds a bit bored at times and sometimes the timing of the band seems to drift a bit.
Overall though, I enjoyed it, with most of his hits featured it's a pleasing listen but not one you'll come back to again and again.

ARRAY(0xac9996d8)

Live At The Apollo
Live At The Apollo by Robert Palmer (Audio CD - 2003)