5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING
I watched this film on a daily basis when I was a young teenager during holidays (I did have friends as well!!) So I know this film inside out from scenes and dialog and everything in between.
This conversion to Blue-ray is fantastic and at such a good price you cannot do anything but buy this masterpiece.
Fantastic film now in HD at unbeatable value - a must...
Published on 24 Mar 2009 by G. D. Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware it's no longer special edition!!
I sacrificed my dvd bumper edition for this blu-ray after the customer reviews and advertising photos implied this was the super-duper edition with booklet and poster and fold out sleeve.

Unfortunately Amazon twice sent me a standard blue plastic case version with no frills.

I did get a refund and amazon are generally pretty good but I don't think...
Published on 17 Jun 2010 by Paul Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 24 Mar 2009
G. D. Oliver - See all my reviews
Fantastic film now in HD at unbeatable value - a must buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Time Perfect, 3 Jan 2008
I can still remember getting excited watching this for the first time.

It's still a great movie, classic Speilberg (loads of subtle domestic detail) and interesting to think how much of recent popular culture has its roots in this movie. Without this would we have had X Files, a new Dr Who or any number of non-combat, alien contact movies and TV series? Probably not.

Presented in a nice, but unfussy box, the three discs come with a booklet and fold out timelines so you can see what is different about the three versions without having to sit and watch them all with a stopwatch.

In fact, the new cut is the best - more build up, but less (in fact, none) of inside the mothership. Speilberg admits it was a mistake to put that in the Special Edition.

On a good 5.1 system with the volume turned up the musical "chat" between the synth guy and the mothership is even more schoolboy-exciting than I remember it being 30 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 4 Feb 2012
I have loved this movie for so long. Modern films simply cannot compete with this; a testament to the creative genius of Spielberg, and one of the greatest motion pictures in cinema history. For the hard core science fiction fan, this is simply a must have. For those that have never seen the film, you will never see anything like this magnificent movie in your life. By turns funny, frightening and uplifting, I defy you not to be in tears as the incredible mothership lifts her battered hull heavenwards as the end credits roll. We need the events in this movie to happen. We need something from outside this earth to set us upon the right path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 20 Feb 2008
I had never seen 'Close Encounters' before, so my purchase of the Blu-Ray release was something of a blind buy except, other than a positive review I glanced through on highdefdigest. I don't even know anyone that has seen it, so was getting curious because of the revenrential terms in which the film is described. Having just finished watching it about 15 minutes ago, however, let me just say wow. If you haven't seen the film it's very intense and has aged incredibly well. The special effects don't break the immersion (as happens sometimes with older effects-laden films) and the acting is great. I was totally sucked into the scenario... I read in the supplementary material included that Spielberg believed at the time that UFO contact had really happened in the 20th century, which makes sense since there is an amazing sense of realism to it. This is definitely not the recent 'War of the Worlds' film or 'Independence Day'. Basically, if you have not seen the film before you will not be disappointed by it; you can afford to blind buy this one.

For people who have already seen 'close encounters', I should mention that this includes three versions of the film, all three of which are in 1080p... the theatrical version, special edition, and director's cut. There is lots of printed material (a booklet and a small timeline poster) showing what the differences are between the various cuts. For £14, you get more than you do with a lot of Blu-Rays costing £25.

Picture quality is a huge pleasure to behold. The film is definitely nicer in high def. I was really impressed at how good it looks for its age. While not every scene is a showcase of what 'high definition' is, anyone could see the difference between this and standard def DVD. 100% recommended on picture quality.

Basically, I went from knowing almost nothing about this film to prizing this bluray as one of the best in my collection. A wholehearted recommendation which, at this low price, deserves to be on everyone's shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Blu-ray film package so far?, 5 Jun 2008
Mr. S. M. Baggley (Austria) - See all my reviews
I'm a recent convert to Blu-ray, but so far have been a little disapointed with the film catalogue available, as the technology has been available for a couple of years now. However, this disc is an exception to that problem.

To start with, there's not much that needs to be said about the film itself that hasn't already been said, and most people must have seen a version or two by now, so I'll concentrate on the BR release.

To start with this is better value than most BR releases to date price-wise, and the main film disc is well presented and neatly put together. The animated menus are stylish, easy to use & neat. But what is a bigger surprise is just how much you get for your money. The package includes all 3 versions of Close Encounters, and all 3 are seamlessly put together on one disc. Also, you can select a menu which highlights every minute difference between all 3 while you watch, for real Close Encounter buffs.

The biggest shock of all is the second disc though. Normaly the extras tend to be a little cut-price on Blu-Ray, with a cheaper SD DVD second disc. So I was a little shocked to find the extras disc seems to be full HD BR too, running at 1080 (for me). Not only that, but for very lucky people with a better HD television, this release is recorded at very high-def 1920*1080. I'n not even sure if my PS3 can handle that resolution, but my TV certainly can't. No matter though as picture and sound are generaly good, but to be fair the film shows it's age slightly in darker night shots, with a little graining sometimes.

But overall, even without the cheaper price, this is easily the best value BR release I have seen to date. I just hope we can get more releases of this quality, and soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic film, not really sure about the blu ray quality here....., 22 Feb 2009
Second Skin (Nostalgia Land) - See all my reviews
I agree with one of the other reviewers, who stated that the quality of this disc was not quite up to scratch. It could be my equipment, (I play discs on PS3, on 40 inch Sony Bravia 1080p TV, with good quality hdmi leads...) but it looks unsatisfactory in places, a little too grainy. I suppose I'm comparing it to the recent Bladrunner release, which looks amazing, and perhaps that has given me too high an expectation. But a film like Close Encounters deserves to look amazing, so maybe just a bit more effort could have been made. I got a nicely packaged version of the disc, with all the trimmings, but all I actually wanted was for the film to look tip top, which it didn't all the time. The film is 5 stars of course, and it still looks better than a DVD version, but as this is supposed to be high definition, just 4 stars for the blu ray......

5.0 out of 5 stars Several versions floating around, 26 Feb 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There is the dark version that cut out all the comic scenes like throwing all the dirt in the window, and added some "Mother gets disturbed scenes." I bought this first because I thought it had the special ending where the inside of the ship is shown. But I did not know that it was completely remade. Some of the Gas mask scenes are missing also.
Other than that if you did not see the original or the third version that is shown periodically on TV you would like this movie and it is worth the purchase price.
Closer to the original but still not the one shown on TV is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" This is the lighter version, with many comic relief scenes.
It is almost impossible to know which version is being sold under which cover. So you may have to buy several versions.
Example light version: ASIN: 0767827031
Example dark version: ASIN: 0800198395
Feel free to tell me of other versions.
Roy Neary is n routine maintenance work when his vehicle is approached from behind at night. He waves the approacher around to find the visitor is not quite kosher. Turns out he is about to have an encounter of the third kind.
The story is a series of lives that cross with each other as each is invited to rendezvous at a location to meat with special visitors. It is how they respond to the invitation and each other that is the story. That is how one version can be made light and witty. Yet another version is dark and sinister.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Money, 7 Dec 2007
IM35461 "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First, Yes all three versions which are on the first Blu-Ray disc and it plays fine on a UK PS3

Sound and picture quality generally very good but you can see the shots for the later 1980 are a little sharper.

Outside segments at Devils Tower (core of a volcano) look very good.

Movies have an optional extra to indicate changes made in the three cuts. Why they did not display this data in the black space between the 2.35:1 movie and the 16:9 TV shape I don't know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC FILM GETS THE BEST RELEASE SO FAR, 29 Jun 2008
This Blu-Ray release is my 3rd owned Close Encounters to date, first I had it on video, then 2disc DVD, and now finally this 2disc Blu-Ray ultimate edition.
For this price, it is an absolute must buy, I can assure you. From when you first have the item in your hand, you can tell it has not just been cobbled together. It is the nicest Blu-Ray for the money you can purchase. Don't be fooled by amazon's picture of the standard bluray case, it is not presented in a plastic case at all, it is SO much better than that, Such a surprise to find that as soon as you open your parcel, you have got something that looks like it should be double or even treblethe money I payed for it.
The Hard cover is a thing of quality, very thick stuff which wont start to look tatty easily and should last years perhaps decades.
Slide out the inside and you will find two parts, one being the Blu-ray section and the other is a fantastic book, easily the best quality I have ever seen on any format, beautifully produced and such a departure from the usual cheap tiny leaflet type "booklet" you usually get. Not much text here just a few snippets, but a lot of great photographs of cast and crew making the movie. This release has given what I consider to be the best documentation for the money you can buy, not only do you get the lovely little book, but also a reproduction poster of the original movie poster and on the back of it a timeline showing the differences in the three versiion you get here.
I love the menu, simple and stylish featuring the theme and those little coloured rectangles that are so iconic to the film.
This release then gives you the option to watch any of the different versions of the movie from the menu.
THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASE, THE DIRECTORS CUT & THE SPECIAL EDITION are all on the first disc, it's incredibly well put together featuring seamless branching to get them all on, amazing.

The Picture Quality of the movie is the best release yet, perhaps not as good transfer as say Blade runner, but there are details in this that I have never seen before, The redness of Richard Dreyfuss' face, The greenery of the outside,colours are a vast improvement,and although there is slight grain from the film, it never becomes distracting and the movie feels fresh and wonderfully well made. What a superb release, the sound is great, The extras are plentyful, although not in HD, they are all here, ported from the DVD release.
All in all, this is thoroughly recommended and I love the package as a hole, it is easily the nicest presented blu-ray I have and well worth the money for anyone who loves classic movies,young or old, a wonderful first Spielburg Blu-Ray, let's hope there are more relases like this one in the future, It would be particularly nice to get a lovely book like this in every Blu-Ray release instead of the cheap fliers you usually get, and I hope the studios take note and give classics like this, the ultimate bluray releases they deserve.
Verdict
JUST BUY IT - its a very high quality Blu-Ray and a timeless Spielburg masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beauty of a Boxed Set.........., 22 April 2008
Ian Wantling "Ian Wantling" (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Aside from the contents, the presentation of this set is awsome in its own right. The box is opened by lifting the lid upwards which is held shut by a small magnetic strip. Once opened there is a ribbon which when pulled raises the contents for your perusal..... The 64 page book is full of photos and info of the production crew and cast and is a nice little read in itself.... the poster is double sided with the original cinema poster on one side and a comparitive timeline of all three versions of the movie on the other. This essentially explains the major differences and when they occur in each version......

All in all I feel this is one of the best box set issues I have ever bought...