5.0 out of 5 stars Gillian Anderson - a revelation
I watched this as a result of seeing Gillian Anderson in Bleak House where I was astonished by her excellent performance as Lady Deadlock. In this film she portrays the unfortunate Lily so well that it was impossible not to feel for her and her situation as an single girl with no money, having to find a husband. Her situation is compromised by the husband of one of her...
Published on 6 Jan. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film but too condensed
Published 13 months ago by Dayzee

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 14 April 2011
Beautifully acted, scripted, ravishing to watch, an unforgettable tragedy. Lily Bart is trapped by convention, her only choices to make a marriage with a wealthy man, but unfortunately this is not the man she loves. She chooses honour above baseness and rather than betray him she protects his reputation to the detriment of her own. She is judged by a hypocritical society obsessed with surface values.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been better, 28 Sept. 2014
Good, but could have been better, with a greater and deeper understanding of the times and the milieu. Romantic tension wasn't there, somehow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, 11 Mar. 2013
I've liked Gillian Anderson since The X-Files so going for this was a no brainer for me....I wasn't disappointed....great film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social comments abound!, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The House Of Mirth [DVD] (DVD)
Expect to be moved by this film and it will stay with you. Tragedy...Edith Wharton style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this!, 23 May 2015
Having thoroughly enjoyed the book, the dvd did not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
R. Pinheiro Goncalves "RPG" (London) - See all my reviews
Very nice product. Arrived fast and well wrapped! Really glad!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 18 Dec. 2011
This film is Art.I loved everything about it.The poetic direction,the stunnng actrice,the splendid settings , the depth of the characters and the tragedy of the story.If you ,like me,adore period films but also like a good artistic direction,and have a taste for turmoil and tragedy try this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film but too condensed, 13 May 2014
Our book club group watched this film having all loved Edith Wharton's book, and unfortunately we were disappointed with the adaptation. The film itself is visually great, sets, costumes and lighting all really good, though I think more could have been made of the scene between Lily and Selden in the garden- a key moment in the book and wonderfully described by Edith Wharton. The problem is condensing such a complex and subtle novel into a couple of hours. Two key characters are conflated into one and I think if we had not read the book, we would have been confused as to who was who. The "fixer" Mrs Fisher suddenly pops up unannounced in Monte Carlo. And although Gillian Anderson turns in a great performance, we did not think she was quite right for the character of Lily, who although very astute and self aware, is in many ways very naive. Gillian Anderson made her a bit too "knowing" and flirtatious. This could be better done as a classic serial, giving more time to develop the characters and relationships. I am thinking here of some of the great Henry James adaptations which were done years ago by the BBC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Jun. 2015
Dr. Peter Barbor (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
Marvellous actress.

5.0 out of 5 stars bring kleenex, 4 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
I saw this film on the very day that it was release, and it took me three hours on a smelly bus, but I would happily go double that for this film, it is without a doubt THE best film I have ever seen, if Gillian does not get the oscar that she deserves for this I will cry, just like the whole audience did at the end... yes even the men! buy it! please. oh, and look out for Gillian andersons daughter pipers cameo! kath

The House Of Mirth [DVD]
The House Of Mirth [DVD] by Terence Davies (DVD - 2002)