5.0 out of 5 stars Note to would-be horror directors: watch and learn
Ring is that rarest of breeds, a genuinely scary horror movie. The writer and director have understood that "shock" is not "horror" and that the scariest things are not the ones that jump out at you but the psychological terrors that build up in your mind.
The story is straightforward: a group of teenagers have died under strange circumstances,...
Published on 24 July 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Great film, terrible DVD
I concur with the reviews below... this film is as great as the first time I saw it back in 1999.
HOWEVER... the quality of the print used for this DVD is atrocious. Watching the original VHS copy on a 21" TV, it's fine as the low resolution of tape masks the awful quality.
Published on 10 Aug 2004 by Alan Moore

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars chills to the bone, 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I made the mistake of watching this alone in the dark (okay my girlfriend was asleep in the other room but it felt like I was alone!). Seriously this is one of the most goddam creepiest things I've ever seen in my life. I felt something of a sense of triumph by making it all the way to the end, I was that freaked out. Neither am I ashamed to admit that I bottled out of watching 'Sadako's video' on the DVD extra features! A brilliantly crafted and realistic piece of terror.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Would Have Thought the Japanese Could Update MR James?, 14 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Perhaps the last place you would expect any kind of horror renaissance to come from is Japan, but that's exactly what they've managed to do with 'Ring'. Horror film aficionados like myself who were disappointed with the over-hyped Blair Witch Project and had grown increasingly despondent with a genre that seemed able to only offer up Scream-type pictures as 'the last word in terror' can now rest a little easier. Ring is a great horror film with a great scary premise, a good old fashioned supernatural explanation for all the horrors, and a final twenty minutes that brings the scariest, crawling, queasy horrors of MR James slap bang into the twenty first century. This picture left me with a tingle in my spine and a huge smile on my face. In fact I enjoyed it so much I actually want to want to watch the sequel, and I never thought I would ever watch a film with a roman numeral after it again. Full marks to a team who have managed to make a superb horror film without blood, violence or sex - just plenty of atmospheric creativity and a respect for the traditions of great stories well told. And make sure you buy the DVD so that you can get your own copy of the 'cursed video' to show to a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep with one eye open..., 20 Mar 2001
Mr. Paul S. Bird "dagadadagada" (Aylesbury) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Never before has a film scared me as much as this one did. It took me completely by suprise. I'd heard tell that Ring was a good and chilling horror film, but it goes beyond that. This is one of those rare films that will stay with you after you've watched it. I was unsettled all night after watching this.
The story is simple. There is a "wierd video" that a group of friends watched on holiday. As soon as it finished, the phone rang and a voice told them they had a week to live. One week later and they are all found dead, their faces contorted into looks of abject terror. A young female journalist starts investigating the story and finds the tape. It's certainly wierd. She finishes it, and the phone rings.....
What follows is unlike any other horror movie you'll have seen. This film will scare you, and never shows any blood or gore. The closest you'll get to that is the famous "eye" shot. In a way, it's very much a traditional ghost story in the style of M.R. James, or even H.P. Lovecraft, and leaves you with that sense of creeping horror...
Call me a wimp if you like, but this film DID frighten me. Especially due to the worryingly high number of phone calls I was recieving during watching it.......

4.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, 21 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
My, this is a spooky little gem of a film - probably even more effective when you watch it on your telly at home, as it makes the idea of a deadly videotape more unsettling. I have not seen the sequels yet, but I'm sure I will soon.
If this were a US film it would be laughable. Instead, Ring plays with urban myth in a way that Hollywood has tried but failed to do well. Indeed the plot outline could be from any recent teen chiller. But the approach here is more adult and not for laughs. By extending the threat to loved ones and setting it within one week, the director instills a feeling of mounting dread.
The killer tape itself is all the more unsettling because it seems to make no sense - a series of weird images, and its grainy look makes it seem quite real. The rest of the film as a whole has a washed-out blue look throughout, suitably suggesting mourning and cold. It is lovingly shot, especially the opening titles when the sea drifts in and out of TV static. The acting is good, though as the main review says above the picture quality suffers from white spot syndrome.
Unsettling. In a good way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh,creepiness!, 14 Sep 2002
I would say that this is deffinetly the best horror film I have ever seen,even though it's in subtitles it maintains its air of extreme creepiness.
The film is based around an urban legend that would be interesting and creepy enough as only an urban legend .The director has created this film most magnificently, he manages to keep you in suspense and bordering on terror throughout the whole film which I think is just as valuable as the final scenes of horrific conclusion(in respect to Asakawa's ex).The film moves quite slowly although the storyline progresses steadily,this works very well because as I said before,this keeps you in constant suspense and fear.Everything in the film, every tree, every doorway, every shadow moving in the background takes on an edge of terror in anticipation of that thing you know is inevitably coming, that you know is just waiting for you around some unexpected corner in the not too distant future.
I first watched this film at about midnight in my bedroom,just before going to sleep -not a good idea.I usually sleep with my back to the TV,I couldn't sleep at all that night, every five minutes I would turn to check if anything was coming out of it.
I really shoudln't say anymore apart from you'll never look at a TV the same way again.Enjoy the film and make extra copies for your friends just in case...
P.S. A Hollywood remake is on the way, bets on how they'll manage to make it a meaningless 12 or 15 certificate for profits please.Also, bets on what ridiculous names the seamingly obligitory trashy rock bands on the soundtrack will have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A distinctly Japanese exercise in fear, 24 Jan 2005
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Ring is one of the best supernatural horror films ever made. I first saw it on its FilmFour debut a few years age, alone, late at night. Unfortunately, the infamous ending was given away before the film started, I WON'T give it away for those who haven't seen it. Ring creates a sense of wierdness and dread perhaps more than any other horror film I've seen (and I've seen more than a few). It manages this by showing as little of the central malignancy (Sadako) as possible, while allowing the viewer to construct in their own mind, at the same time as the characters in the film, an image of her from the very cleverly put together video with which she lays her curse. There aren't many horror-textbook 'jump out of your seat' shocks in Ring, but the sheer sense of dread invoked by the character Sadako surpasses that of any other 'malignant-supernatural-demony-thing' in any other horror film I've seen. I had to watch most of the film with a cushion close at hand - I just couldn't take it! The bizarre, at times unearthly, soundtrack is also vital to Ring's ability to make your blood run cold at times. The soundtrack is probably the key to the film's success. The sequel, while flawed, is also mightily spooky in places.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Great film, terrible DVD, 10 Aug 2004
Alan Moore "evilcat" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
This DVD on a bog-standard 21" pan'n'scan TV is okay too, but obviously not of the greatest quality.
However I was shocked, when watching this DVD on a 28" Widescreen TV to note 'cigarette burns' and scratches throughout. At the start of the final scene there is a diagonal scratch which covers almost all of the screen!
Add to that the burnt-in (and therefore illegible) white subtitles and you have a terrible version of a modern movie.
The version from the US is much, much better, and hopefully Tartan's upcoming Ring trilogy box will be the same. Hold off buying this for now. I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the hype?, 13 April 2001
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
A very well made film, which genuinely unsettles you as you watch it, right to the shock ending (which really is worth the wait - the slight visual effects throughout this film really do work). There is no gore at all in Ring; it is all about dread and suspense; if you just give yourself over to the movie you are taken for one hell of a journey, starting as a detective story and ending in something far worse.
Very reminiscent of 'The Exorcist', which demands that you actively follow the story from beginning to end, to reap the rewards it can offer in terms of frightening the life out of you!
As a result, I would suggest that Ring is definately worthy of the hype that preceeds it - far more effective than 'Blair Witch' (which doesn't really work if you saw it after the Sundance preview and realised that all the actors are actually alive and well!) and thus more watchable - it is a film you can watch again and the DVD is very nicely put together, with information and reviews of the film and even a trailer for its sequel, Ring 2.
The most successful horror film in Japan for many years, from a highly successful trilogy of books, this is certainly worth you checking out - stop reading these reviews and buy now - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Materpiece (Did this happen to anyone else?), 2 Aug 2008
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I first watched the ring, not really knowing what it was. I just recognized the Japanese language and thought 'Hey a Japanese mystery or something.'. This was a little before Synopsis with the 'i' button on Sky Digital, so I had no way of figuring out what Ring was all about.

This for me, made the whole experience bucket loads more terrifying. I could barely watch at times. The psychological fear the director and cast sew is ultimately superior to the 'oogie boogie coming to getchya and stab/strangle/hook you' of floundering western horror. Sadly the idiots who remade this classic failed to notice that. They also messed up the subplot and pre-narrative timeline by moving it to america.

A masterpiece, unlike the version shat out by us Western morons. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring, 13 Oct 2007
Dave Kraven (Burbage, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Being highly favourited as "One of the best Horrors of all time" and incredibly loved worldwide, there's no surprise that it's also one of my favourites as it's terrifying, full of suspense and thrills, and totally original!

After the sudden inexplicable death of four friends who, rumour has it, died exactly one week after watching a cursed videotape. Enter one of the friends' aunt, Reiko Asakawa, a news reporter who's doing a feature on it.
Her investigation leads her to a vacation resort in the suburbs where she discovers and watches the cursed videotape, which features surreal imagery, and is told by telephone that she'll die in seven days...

Now if the storyline doesn't pull you in, then maybe the direction of Hideo Nakata (Dark Water, The Ring Two) might intice you with his use of creepy camerawork and chilling atmopshere. Maybe it's the tremendous work of the actors; Nanako Matsushima who portrays Reiko with such authencity that you feel apart of her demise somehow, or maybe the terrific support from her fellow cast, Hiroyuki Sanada (The Twilight Samurai, The Last Samurai, Sunshine, Rush Hour 3), Rikiya Otaka as Reiko's 7-year-old son Yoichi and Rie Inô, who plays the cursed Sadako. Or perhaps it's the scare factor that shoots through the roof with its frightening ambience, dark visuals and a spine-chilling soundtrack that'll play on you mind for years to come!!

Anyways, this is the best J-Horror ever to set foot in the film industry and it's going to stay with us for all time. So don't just sit there reading my review, seek it out and experience the TERROR for yourself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000]
Ring (1998) [DVD] [2000] by Hideo Nakata (DVD - 2001)