4.0 out of 5 stars Classy and intelligent
Published on 1 Sep 2003 by L. Eklund

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Product Information
Product page incorrectly states that this item is subtitled in the following languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish.
But it's subtititled in english only!!!
Moreover it's audio language is in English and Italian. Product page states English and Spanish!!!

This is bad because my wife is not fluent in english, unlike me...
Published on 28 Nov 2011 by Hans Olav Smedsrud

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy and intelligent, 1 Sep 2003
L. Eklund "lje32677" (El Cajon, California United States) - See all my reviews
I watched "Waking the Dead" as a series on BBC America, then heard that there was a movie or premiere episode. Due to it's limited availability on Amazon.co.uk, I bought the film through a friend. The best testimony I can give to the quality of the film is that I've seen it several times since I got it. The story is a fresh take on an old idea, which deals with the abduction and murder of a teenage girl five years go. This murder haunts Det. Superindent Peter Boyd. He is put in charge of a new Metropolitan Police program called the "Cold Case Squad". Now 5 years later the perpetrator kidnaps another girl. Boyd knows it's the same man and forces his superiors to let him handle it. I had several emotions for the kidnapper, but in the end all that was left was pity. The movie was well written, directed and acted.
All the actors are fantastic. Trevor Eve is wonderful as Detective Superindentant Peter Boyd. Boyd comes across as a control freak, arrogant, egotistical and sometimes tyrannical. That would seem to make the character unlovable, which isn't true because Boyd is also haunted by the disappearance of his son. His obsession with getting the job done right is a result of that loss. Boyd is definitely a flawed man who has secrets of his own.
Sue Johnston is wonderful as Dr. Grace Foley Ph.d. She is the profiler of the group and has a unigue insite which is described as a "way with the dead". Johnston portrays Foley as an intelligent, strong woman.
Holly Aird is Dr. Frankie Wharton M.D(pathologist). She is also a driven professional. She is brillant, but lacks person skills. In her search for the truth, she sometimes forgets about the human factor. Which Boyd reminds her of, occasionally. Aird also represents Wharton as intelligent and strong. She knows her job and is very protective of her territory.
Detective Constable Amelia Silver(Claire Goose) and Detective Sargeant Spencer Jordan(Wil Johnson) are the young police detectives who finish out the team. These two young actors bring a vibrant youthful quality to the show. The characters have an arrogance which young professionals often have. They have to be reined in by Boyd, especially Jordan. In a scene at a cemetary, Jordan contradicts Dr. Wharton's orders for exhuming a body. He is backed up by Boyd, but it turns out that Wharton is correct. It irked me that he would even dare to assume he knew more than Wharton.
This premiere episode brings to life several very different characters who have to form a working relationship. Throughout Series 1 and 2, those bonds become stronger, and eventually become friends.
I do recommend this movie. Coming from the US, we don't see good acting, writing and directing very often. It is very refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, poignant, mesmerising., 4 July 2001
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
This film was a uniquely sincere cathartic experience. It was truely a beautiful film that was deeply intelligent not really on a cerebral level but certainly on an emotional level. It was emotively provactive to such a large scale. The acting was phenomenal the direction amazing, but it was how the characters related to eachother, the great acting the beautiful dialogue but most importantly the realistic raw emotion that was reflected upon the screen. The emotion was so severe that sometimes it was almost uncomfortable to watch but ultimately fulfilling.
This is a wonderful film that should be watched as it confronts realistically large philosohical ponderings and basic human interaction and ideals.The emotion permeates from the screen to the audiance in flawless waves. A delectably fulfilling profound treat to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fielding Pierce runs for Congress haunted by his dead love, 4 Feb 2005
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Things get a little too cute at the end of "Waking the Dead," and while I appreciate the idea of leaving up what "really" happened to the audience, I do not think that this was the film was the one in which to try this particular trick. After all, this movie is not a ghost story, even though the main character is haunted by the dead woman that he loved, but a film that mixes romance and politics to the point where the film's big question really matters and should have been answered more directly.
In 1982 a stunned Fielding Pierce (Billy Crudup) learns form the evening news that the woman he loves, Sarah Williams (Jennifer Connely) has been killed by a car bomb attack because of her involvement in opposing the corrupt government of Chile and U.S. involvement. We then go back to see how they first met, when he was serving in the Coast Guard, to avoid going to Vietnam, and she was the secretary for his brother, who is running some sort of counter culture magazine. He longs for a career in politics and she wants to bring down the system. Yet when Fielding says he wants to be president some day, she smiles because he clearly means it.
These two characters from Scott Spencer's novel are politically polarized and these differences only grow as the two fall in love. They take turns accompanying each other to important social functions at which the other one become an embarrassment, before Sarah goes off and gets killed for her beliefs. Ten years later Fielding is given the opportunity to run in a special election for a seat in the U.S. Congress, as the handpicked choice of the governor and his chief political hack (Hal Holbrook). This is the first step to what Fielding has wanted his entire life, only Sarah sees it as a betrayal. True, Sarah has been dead ten years at this point, but that does not stop Fielding from first hearing and then seeing her.
Is Fielding going insane, is he being haunted, or is this some sort of sick game? Good question, but do not ask me the answer because I watched the movie. It is hard to spoil a movie when you are not sure what really happened at the end, although I could hazard a guess. Ultimately, the politics clashes between Fielding and Sarah are more interesting than their romance. You have to wonder how their relationship would have ended if she had not died, because sooner or later one of them would have had to blink. One of the strengths of "Waking the Dead" is that both of them are right and you think that if only they could find a way to work together great things could happen.
"Waking the Dead" is one of those titles that has a double meaning, for it applies to Fielding as much as it does to Sarah. That sense of ambiguity pervades Keith Gordon's 2000 film and certainly explains why the ending is so open to interpretation. But for me it does not quite work in the end, although Fielding's scene in his Congressional office works much better than his dinner with his family. Still, this is an interesting film for those who like to see film that try to play with an audience's mind (and which should be avoid like the plague by those who did enjoy "Fight Club" or "Memento").

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing yet Powerful, 17 April 2003
Gordon Russell "gordy russell" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
There i was, sitting on the back of a British naval war ship, at 0300 hours, stationed in the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic, tempratures of -20 degrees celcius, keeping a watch on the ships gangway, when one of the lads came up and said "here jack, fling that in your dvd player", so i did. I have seen a lot of films in my time, many scary, many sad and many violent, but this is probably the most heart rendering and powerful film i have ever seen, and is the only one where i have had a tear in my eye at the sheer overwhelming intense atmosphere that i felt while sitting there helplessly in front of the screen. I dont know if it was just the location and time, but i believe that this is one of the most outstanding films of its time and i would fully recommend anyone to if not buy, at least watch, this piece of cinematic amazement!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love has no ending, 20 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Few films these days seem to get the chemistry just right when suggesting romantic inter-play between two people since for every 'Betty Blue' there is some Hollywood film that dribbles in sentimantality.
Waking the Dead though is just one of those rare films that lets you see the light and reminds you of the intensity by which the joining of two people through love for each other can be.
True love can last a lifetime even after the other person has departed since we will always have memories of them.
In Waking the Dead it reminds us of this but also how we will always have images of them that will be reactivated by little moments in life and in people that we see that some how remind us of he or she.
In the trailer to the film there suggested a supernatural element (is she / isnt she really alive) but purposely in the film it is left up to the viewers imagination as to what is considered real or not real.
In every sense though this film is real and certainly the scenes involving Chilie's political turmoil in the 70's give it an added layer of texture of the cruel realities that life sometimes has to offer us but yet some things such as love cannot be destroyed.
Open your mind, turn out the lights and have no distraction. Just journey into this film and love it for all its time it gives you, then watch it on DVD and see all the deleted scenes. In these scenes (Which last over 40 minutes) it provides an added texture to the film and depth to characters that you care about and again reminds you of what seperates the good films from the bad films of this world.
A film with out flaws is a rare thing indeed and i am sure some New York critic would rip my review to shreds but all i know is what i see and what i felt with my heart. Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Product Information, 28 Nov 2011
Hans Olav Smedsrud (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
But it's subtititled in english only!!!

This is bad because my wife is not fluent in english, unlike me.
Meaning I have to watch this movie all by myself, which is not what I intended :(

The staff at amazon UK should REALLY take some time to make sure that the product information is correct for each item. If they are short in staff, they could employ the customers to help them out.

There is also a lot of items where the full product information is lacking entirely. In such case perhaps Amazon should have a product picture of both the front and back of all the items, so we can find it ourselves.

N.B: This review is not for the movie itself, as I haven't watched it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunted by Love, 11 Jan 2003
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
Jodie Foster was the executive producer on this very good film about a real love between two people which may even be strong enough to transend death. Jennifer Connelly could easily have garnered an Oscar here if anyone had noticed. For that matter so could Billy Crudup. This is a real film about real people, filled with quiet passion and heartbreak. The questions it poses are not easily answered. Can we ever forget real love and move on? Are those we loved still with us somehow after death?
Jennifer Connelley is Sarah Williams, a young and bright girl with a heart to full of love and compassion to let injustice rule the world. She is trying to make a difference through her church's efforts in Chile to smuggle out refugees when a bomb explodes, changing the life of her lover Fielding Pierce (Billy Crudup) forever.

What follows are shifts in time as we see the young John Kennedy like Fielding find true love with this wonderful girl who doesn't seem to fit in with his political aspirations. It is a real and tender love explored more fully by director Keith Gordon than we often see today in films. Sarah becomes the cricket on his shoulder, his conscience for all that is good.
But years later he still can not move on from that moment when his life ended. It is as though his soul was killed in the blast as well. Fielding is about to become a congressman while at the same time unsure if he is losing his sanity. A snowy night turns dark and he feels Sarah in the snow surrounding him. He begins to see her watching him. Is it possible she is still alive? Or is love reaching across the threshold of death.
We may not have any conclusive answers when this film is over but it is still satisfying. Crudup is terrific as a phone call brings him to the brink of a mental breakdown and Connelly gives a haunting performance as the love that saves him once more. How she does so is left up to us. This is a somber and beautiful meditation on love and how lucky we are to ever find it.
The shifts in time are mesmerizing in this richly romantic and hauntingly beautiful film you must see. It is genuinely unique and never to be forgotten once you have....

2.0 out of 5 stars On Different Screens., 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
WE - that is I, your humble narrator, and these other droog reviewers - must be on different pages. Or different planets. Whichever it is, I'm over here feeling lonely; always the outsider.
From reading the reviews on here I had high expectations, but it really failed to deliver and they came quickly tumbling down.
The film flashes around right from the get-go that there's just no room for considerable character development. All too often this happens in films, so if you're an aspiring director, take note, you can be better than the churning Hollywood stomachs (and other individuals).
I couldn't care what happens to the characters because I haven't seen enough of them, I haven't connected with them, no relation, you know. They're a couple? They're in love? Thanks for telling me, stranger. Why don't they seem like they're in love then? Because I haven't seen them together for more than ten minutes before something dreadful occurs. Dreadful for them, not for me. And there lies the problem, I don't care, it's no tragedy for me, I'm not affected, I don't know these people.

~

Look at the Titanic, it's sinking, but what a film. Not a favourite of mine or anything, I'm no James Cameron, but a good example of quality on-screen chemistry and character development. Then again, it is 3 hours in length - fairplay, lazy guts!
Perhaps spend some time catching rays in 500 Days of Summer, where the love-y weather feels real, confusing, twisted, painful.
Oh opinions, opinions, smelly-on-the-breath opinions.

~

Billy Crudup is a very good actor.
You already know that. Ever seen Jesus' Son? He be Billy Crudup. Easy on, that wasn't some bizarre religious dig. I'm a big fan of him in that indie flick. He's choosy and he's a good-un. Here though, back now with my focus on Waking The Dead, old Billy boy doesn't seem to fit well into his shoes. I'm certain it's not him, but instead the shoes that are to blame. The character isn't likeable, he's just some Harvard student (no, I'm not bitter, I'm British - university sucks anyway), some guy, not very memorable, seems sort of cold. I guess the snow machine complimented this side of his personality. Anyway, I'm rambling and taking you with me unwillingly. The character didn't make much conversation, I lost interest. Jennifer Connelly's character was a bit better, maybe because she's female, but still nothing to rave review about. Her face was the will to keep watching, she's a natural cutie. If there was a glimmer of affection between the two, I may have seen it in her eyes.
Otherwise and elsewhere, what can be said? Lacking in passion. Fruitless. Um, it resembled a budget television production for the most part and the lighting seemed unnatural or fake. Something about the vibe and the look, the set and a missing ingredient. I think the whole pie was spoiled by some bad apples; crew apples; apples in charge. What was potentially a good pie became weak, a rotten apple crumble. The chemistry had slipped (on the ice) away from the characters who should have been like mad-in-love scientists. Romance is not in the air here, only a film hijacked by body snatchers.
To conclude in a further shoddy manner, Waking the Dead is a run-of-the-mill film, marathon-run-of-the-mill, not a profound experience. For that you'll want to wake up, decalcify your pine and immerse yourself in the true nature of the world. Wow, more than meets the eye.

Ta-da, thank you for taking a boat ride down my stream-of-consciousness. You might even consider it a shower of shi-
I've been crazy, you've been witness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug 2014
excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 13 Mar 2001
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
In 1973 Fielding Pierce goes to law school and promptly falls in love with Sarah, a women who spends her life to helping others. When tragedy strikes Fielding is torn between the past and his political future.

Waking The Dead [DVD]
Waking The Dead [DVD] by Keith Gordon (DVD - 2005)