4.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than it has been for a long time
Given that this album is 20 years old and has been subject to no small amount of discussion regarding its status as "the best album ever" and whether it deserves that title (it doesn't; what does?), it would seem churlish to talk about the subjective quality of the songs on it. You probably know them, and know whether you love them or not. I loved them passionately 15...
Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Sick Mouthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible vinyl
This is not a rating of the music. This is and will always be a great album, but the condition of this "new" Sony vinyl deserves 1 star or less if I could give it. Just like the previous reviewer, the record contained dust all over it after opening. Mine does not skip but does have a lot of surface noise, and this is after having been VPI cleaned twice. This is a...
Published 7 months ago by William B.

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Adorable, 20 July 2000
By A Customer
10 years after its initial release, The Stone Roses' debut album still sounds tremendous. I Wanna Be Adored remains almost perfect with its adulation demanding lyrics lifted by John Squire's liquid guitar shimmer, Mani's portentous bassline and Reni's funky drummer shuffle. Waterfall sees Squire pulling off inspired solos and Sugar Spun Sister is the perfect love song. She Bangs The Drums, I Am The Resurrection and This Is The One are all still simply stunning. To try and describe the feelings sewn by listening to this album is impossible. Here was a band - and an album - in a million. There are videos, pieces of artwork and rarities thrown on here, but it is the original CD that still fascinates and makes you wonder, was it all really so easy? Looking back, The Stone Roses couldn't hope to top this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burned bright and briefly, 4 Mar 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
The Stone Roses were one of those bands who burned brightly... and all too briefly. Thankfully their presence has been long-lasting -- the music of their self-titled first album still lingers long after the breakup of the band. They captured lightning in a bottle, even if their first album's musical perfection was their downfall.
After the panoramic, rumbling buildup of "I Wanna Be Adored," the Roses catch you with rollicking, infectious rock songs and psychedelic trips. While sticking to strong pop melodies and rock instrumentation, the Roses manage to experiment around a bit -- the delicate "Waterfall" is literally turned backwards and replayed, in a song that is almost as good as the original.
The true rock rebellion shows in "Bye Bye Bad Man" with protests concerning French student riots ("Every backbone and heart you break/We'll still come back for more") and an acid-tinged anti-royalist song. Finishing up the unalloyed brilliance is the bitter, complicated "I Am the Resurrection," and the melodic "Fool's Gold" -- two of the best songs on the album.
The Stone Roses spread their influence far in this album -- there are soft ballad-like melodies, whirling psychedelic trips, and rock that rises, crests and slowly sinks. Expect your heartbeat to rise and sink with it -- because this music has a richness and depth that most rock music cannot even begin to equal.
John Squire's guitar riffs are flexible and fluid; it sounds like this guy was reinventing guitar licks all on his own. His shimmering guitar riffs of "Waterfall" are truly magnificent. The deep basslines will drawn you in whether you like it or not, as will Reni's outstanding drumming. Everything culminates in a wild, dense psychedelic mass in the overwhelming "I Am the Resurrection."
Ian Brown's vocals are excellent; unlike many rock singers, he has genuine vocal talent. The writing for these songs is deeply vibrant. Sometimes the intensity is almost breathtaking, as Brown sings, "I am the resurrection and I am the light/I couldn't ever bring myself/To hate you as I'd like." Ow, heavy stuff. But he is equally good with the quieter songs, sounding sad and a little pensive.
"The Stone Roses" is an unforgettable musical experience. A culmination of musical genius, this is one of the handful of albums out there without a bad track or a sense of monotony. Very, very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best debut album ever made, 16 Dec 2003
Wilich (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
This album remains six years after I originally bought it one of my favourite albums. It has a timeless feel to it and is an album you never ever tire of hearing.
Very rarely do bands hit the road with their best album but this is certainly the case with The Stone Roses. From the build-up in I Wanna Be Adored through to classic I Am The Resurrection this album just gets better and better. Every song, including Don't Stop, is fantastic with Waterfall and I Am The Resurrection standing out as perhaps the best. In fact it was so good that they took five years to create a follow up which whilst being good could never compete with perhaps the best debut album ever made.
If you haven't already bought this album buy it because it will not fail to dissapoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time, it grows on you, 5 July 2000
By A Customer
Yep, this is the one, THE stone roses album that everyone raves about. You put it on, and some of it sounds quite nice, but somehow you don't get it. But play it a couple more times, and suddenly something clicks and you hear the beauty in it, the harmonies, the guitar, the dark lyrics, it's all there. OK so the first track isn't the best, but after that they are all good. "This is the one" must be one of the best tracks ever recorded. I used to be a big Beatles fan, I have every original album they issued in the UK, but I prefer this to the whole lot of them. Magic. Perhaps inevitable they could never match it, but what a waste. Ah well. It only makes the beauty more poignant. This is a moment of glory - in fact, history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band? Perhaps. Great album? The best., 30 May 2001
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
A great band?Perhaps.But what makes a great band?Million selling albums, world recognition,looks, attitudes, fashion, longevity.Maybe all of them, maybe some, maybe none. A great album?Perhaps.But what makes a great album?Million selling, world recognition, lyrics, attitudes, fashion. You get the picture.It's all about personal opinions and preferences.This album, for me, flicks my switch like no other can.It is immense in every way; lyrically, rythmically, originality and
purity.Squires often commented that it was 'over-engineered' and not as raw as he would have liked, but anything else and it wouldn't have been this album.Seeing them in '95 during the Second Coming tour was a big disappointment- no Reni, Ian struggling to sing live as always.The magic had simply gone but I was compelled to see them and fulfill a recurring dream. I have a copy of it at home, at work and in the car. Of the CD's I own I always end up listening to this whether it's my first choice of the day or third. It just sounds like nothing before and, alas, nothing since yet to this day it still manages to capture and deliver everything I crave in a musical stimulant. I dissolve in it completely without becoming saturated with boredom which seems to happen to me with so many of my other albums. Nothing comes close. Listening to The Jesus and Mary Chains' "Darklands" puts them in them in the race but that's it. Quite simply a musical masterpiece which I feel everyone should own and keep in a good enough condition so they can play it to their grand-kids. I will to mine. A great band? Perhaps. A great album? The best. In my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A record to last a lifetime, 22 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
From the age of 14 to the age of about 20 I was a die-hard indie kid, and this album, it seemed to me (perhaps alongside The Queen is Dead) was the greatest ever made and the greatest ever likely to be made. Since then I've come to realise how narrow my musical horizons were, and to discover that many other fantastic bands have made albums I would have to consider seriously before awarding my personal golden tennis racket for the best single record of all time - the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Love (if you've never heard 'Forever Changes' this unfortunate situation requires immediate attention), Bob Dylan, Radiohead and many others, some of which I doubtless haven't discovered yet.
During this 'awakening' many of my old indie albums came to seem lightweight and ephemeral stuff, and have been whisked off, not without a nostalgic pang, to find themselves new homes. A few of them, however, though I listen to them much less frequently, still seem to me now as glorious as they did when I first became acquainted with them. Pills'n'thrills is one. Doolittle is another. The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine and Talking Heads are all as good as I used to think they were.
This album, however, is in a category of its own. These days I probably only play it three or four times a year. But each time I do it seems to exceed my wildest expectations, to reveal new depths, to scale new heights. When I put this on, I think, quite simply, 'sod the beatles, sod the Rolling Stones, sod everyone else who ever made a record, frankly - this is the best rock record that has ever been made'. Stand, during the closing minutes of I am the Resurrection, and tell me that isn't true.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Album ever made by the best band ever, 10 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
Benchmark. for a album to still set the standard over a decade later is phenomanal, if you do not own this album, Get a copy you will be a better person for it

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that changed the world, 16 Dec 2003
B. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
The Stone Roses grew out of the cold hard working class streets of Manchester, in a time when the only good music around had been made 10 years previous and electronica was turning the world an foul dayglow pink. This album saved music, like an oasis in a barron landscape the roses were a shot in the arm for anyone with taste in the 80's. Along with the Mondays and Joy Division the stone roses brought Manchester to life and changed music forever.
Every track on this album would be the stand out track on any other indie/rock since. If you like any brit pop from oasis to Coldplay you have this album to thank for there existance!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is The One., 18 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
I had had 'She Bangs The Drums' recommended to me by a friend when I bought this. It would be mid-late 1996, so Oasis were on a high, and The Stone Roses where vying with a great many good indie bands for my attention. I remember it was a sunny Saturday afternoon the first time I listened to it, having purchased it that morning. From that moment, when I Wanna Be Adored crept into the room, until Resurrection danced out, I was captivated, and remain so. My favourite song on the album has come to be This Is The One, but all of them are greats. Bye Bye Badman, telling of the French student riots, winds it's way into your soul, as does the cleverly re-worked Elizabeth My Dear. But, for me, the wonderful guitar work on This Is The One, alongside Ian Brown's almost non-vocals are what makes the album. It certainly is adored.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could only have one album..., 12 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
I'd give it 6 if I could. I've never listened to an album so much - you can listen to nothing else for months and never bore of any of it. A main thing about the 'Roses is that the more you listen, the more you realise how perfectly timed and complementary the make up is: driving fill-in beat, softly drip-drop bass and Pollocked scale guitar. The music all fits perfectly but is still distinct enough to unlock. And with lyrics delivered by someone who seemingly believes them, somehow the confidence/arrogance rubs off. And at the back of it all, Reni is a genius.

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

Stone Roses [VINYL]
Stone Roses [VINYL] by The Stone Roses (Vinyl)