5.0 out of 5 stars Great Track, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Always on My Mind (Audio CD)
The Pet shop boys' CD of Always On My Mind is a good CD to have it in your collection.

Good tracks.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best song, like, ever?, 8 May 2013
Autonome (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Always on My Mind (Audio CD)
Question has to be asked: has any song ever beaten PSBs' cover of "Always on my mind"? Not sure. Tune, orchestration, instrumentation, Neil's voice, everything makes this song timeless.
The good news in this release is that Julian Mendelsohn's extended dance version of the song is absolutely spot-on: it remains original while keeping the "roots" of the PSB track absolutely intact. Mendelsohn could probably remix a PSB song in his sleep and he could give a tip or two to François Kevorkian, who made a mess the of "Rent" extended mix IMHO.
Tribute to Julian: a lot of his work would be used on the "Always on my mind" mix in "Introspective", the next album of PSBs. The rest of the CD is divided between the well-known, 7'' version of "Always..." but "Do I have to?" strikes me as one of the least inspired B-sides produced by the Boys at the time. The fact that it is not even a bad song says a lot about the quality of the PSB's output at the time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I didn't treat you..., 15 Nov 2003
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Always on My Mind (Audio CD)
When I first heard that the Pet Shop Boys were considering doing a remake of Always on my mind, I thought it was hilarious. I thought it was a joke, actually. After all, Willie Nelson had only recently done a remake; the idea of Willie Nelson and the Pet Shop Boys being listed side-by-side in a catalogue somewhere was, well, surreal. And yet, a few months after I had heard this rumour, I was listening to the radio (one the BBC channels, but I cannot now remember which), and I heard this electronic, sample-heavy crashing introduction (very similar in tone to songs on the Pet Shop Boys' album Actually), and a brass-heavy melody line with the unmistakable tune of Always on my mind.
Sure enough, Neil Tennant's voice began flatly churning out the lyrics:
Maybe I didn't treat you
quite as good as I should...
They had done it. This song rocketed to the top of the dance play list in clubs all over the world, and has remained a standard since 1988 when it was released.
This also started the trend of the Pet Shop Boys releasing remakes between albums, and experimenting with projects to apply new styles to old and not-so-old songs.
This CD was released separately from an album, after Actually, but then was offered as a re-packaged two-disc set with Actually. The Pet Shop Boys had discovered a marketing technique which they've continued to this day, of offering ever-so-slightly different versions of the same thing under different labels.
The other song on the CD, Do I have to?, is reminiscent of King's Cross on the album Actually -- melodious, lower-key, not so heavy in the beats or brass, and once again, Tennant's puzzling lyrics, which have had numerous interpretations applied. This song was remade (albeit fairly-commercially unsuccessfully) by a German artist a few years later.
Worth having, worth seeking out. It is a CD that, in dance terms, will remain Always on my mind.

Always on My Mind
Always on My Mind by Pet Shop Boys (Audio CD - 1993)