5.0 out of 5 stars With a 'Yo Ho Ho' and a robotic parrot, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As one of the few Doctor Who stories never to be novelised by Target it took me a while before I knew it, unlike the other stories that I'd read and re-read until I knew every facet of them. Part of the 1978 Key to Time season, this is a Douglas Adams penned tour de force and cracking adventure to boot.
The Doctor and Romana discover that someone has been stealing planets and encounter the insane Captain and his deadly robotic parrot - The Polyphase Avatron. They soon realise that the Captain, for all his bluff, is merely a puppet, and along with K9 they uncover the real threat.
Darkly funny with great performances (although Bruce Purchase's Captain is somewhat hammy) this is great fun and I heartily recommend you get hold of a copy. The story is now available on DVD as part of the Key to Time box set.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Key To Time Story, 21 April 2014
Mrs. Marilyn A. Rice "RR" (sussex) - See all my reviews
"The Key to time" series in my opinion was quite disappointing, but "The pirate planet" and "The androids of tara" are the only two stories in that season I like and they are both classics. What I really like about this story is Tom Baker and Mary Tamn's performances which I think they had a great acting chemistry together and also the story has plenty of thrills which is very well written by Douglas Adams. However Bruce Purchase is very over the top as the evil pirate captain, but he is entertaining to watch and the cliffhanger in episode 3 is excellent and is probably one of the greatest cliffhangers in "Doctor Who" history. The only other disadvantages was that K9 annoyed me a bit and the story seemed to have ended so quickly in episode 4. But overall this is a wonderful story to watch and this is easily in my top 10 Tom baker stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine Douglas Adams story, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I just downloaded and watched Pirate Planet, and it is right up there with my favourites. OK, the Captain is played way over the top, and OK K9 continues to irritate me (but I think I'm in a minority of one about that), and OK the "landscape" shots are a hoot, but the acting is fun, and the dialogue is great. I suspect that this is the first appearance in Science Fiction of that eminently good advice "DON'T PANIC".
This was good enough for me to buy the DVD box set.

Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet [VHS]
Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet [VHS] by Pennant Roberts (VHS Tape - 1995)