5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Mirror on the wall, is this the greatest film of all?
Published on 15 Aug 2006 by D. I. Shipley

1.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY wary of fake Disney films!
I won't post the seller name as they have been polite and given me a refund, but, this was the third Disney I'd received in the post from Amazon that was a fake.

Published 4 months ago by sduck1984

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Mirror on the wall, is this the greatest film of all?, 15 Aug 2006
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Snow White is simply a milestone in the history of film making. It is one of those films that has ploughed a course through motion picture history, throwing off as it does so, bits and pieces that have been seized upon by later film makers, and turned into ideas and projects of their own. Many of today's film makers will cite this film as being a major early influence on their careers.

Even today, the film's ability to generate emotion is unique on any media. It can still tug on the heart strings after repeat viewings. This comes down to characterisation, be it of Snow White herself, the animals that help her, or the Seven Dwarves.

All are superbly realised and engage the audience accordingly. Maybe the strength of the Dwarves is that Disney filled their characters with many recognisable human traits, both strong and weak. Audiences could identify with them accordingly.

Annoyingly, the character of Dopey has come under attack from the politically correct for allegedly demeaning people with learning difficulties etc. I would counter that with it is a depiction of someone with difficulties getting on with his life, enjoying it in the process, and being actively supported by his peers, who in very human terms, sometimes express impatience etc with him.

As to the other dwarves, I think we can all recognise something of ourselves, our friends, and our relatives in all of them. Hence the fact that they are so engaging.

The songs from the film have gained immortality and deservedly so. Despite not being a fan of musicals myself, this particular score is truly something else, and I still love it after all this time.

Evil is starkly depicted in this tale in the form of the vain and envious Queen. Once she realises that her own beauty has been surpassed by that of Snow White then she goes all out to kill her. Is it any coincidence that as she becomes ever more murderous and vindictive, her outward appearance starts to match that within? Shortly after deciding to kill Snow White, she becomes the hideous witch, and her subsequent behaviour matches her looks.

Her fate is particularly unpleasant but the morality of the tale is that her own deeds and actions ultimately bring it upon herself. There are no grey areas - the message is that evil ultimately brings evil upon the perpetrator.

Ultimately this film has gained a wide ranging recognition as one of the greatest films ever made and deservedly so.

I am fortunate enough to own one of the Platinum Edition dvds. Picture and sound are superb, in particluar the 5.1 transfer is stunning.

If you can get hold of one of these dvds, then my advice is to buy it. You really will not be disappointed.

"Magic Mirror on the wall, is this the greatest film of all?"

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 17 Dec 2002
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Before we go into any details, I suggest you put on your protective goggles, strap in and go for the main feature. Prepare to be dazzled with sharp images and excellent sound that stay true to the original film.
As with all Disney products there is a lot of schmaltz explaining to them selves of how great they are. In this case, I will have to agree with them. The platinum edition of "Snow White and the seven Dwarfs" makes it well worth trading in your old version or just retiring it. The two-disk edition has more information than can be absorbed in one sitting.
Amazon did a good job of defining all the DVD goodies. However I must mention a few. This takes advantage of your remote control for navigation. To help you decide you have the magic mirror as a guide through both disks and all the feature sections. The magic mirror reminds me of the morose robot in Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
The only negative comment I have is on the second disk as you navigate the menus do not highlight like they should and leave you guessing as to what you have selected until you press the OK button.
If I had looked at the features first I would have found a game. "Dopey's Wild Mine Ride", that required me to go back to the feature, as I could not remember all the details it asked about. Some of the feature information is redundant. Some will require reading. One of the posters that were displayed looked like an advertisement for "Campbell's Cream of Dwarfs Soup."
There is a Barbra Streisand version of "Some Day My Prince Will Come" which was distracting (no offence Barbra) and would have been much better left sounding like Janet McDonald.
The printed Grimm's version of Snow White story was an eye opener.
You know when things are not as good, exciting, or scary as you remember. Well surprise this movie is as good, as exciting as scary and many time down right hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars As timeless as it is wonderful., 25 Mar 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a Walt Disney production based on Snow White by The Brothers Grimm. The rest, as they say, is history. Famously said to be Disney's folly prior to release, Snow White has gone on to be one of the company's biggest earners; few, if anyone, can deny it's not the most deserving from Disney's back catalogue of being released every once in a while on different home formats. Very much a landmark movie for being the first full length animated feature, it also deserves its accolades for the high artistic quality that seeps from every frame. The advancements from Steamboat Willie ten years earlier are nothing short of incredible, the richness of the animation is a joy to behold, as the woodland creatures dart about with purpose, or the way the terror comes to life as Snow White runs thru the forest, the depth and clarity dazzles the eyes. Then of course there`s the songs, most of which have formed part of pop culture ever since they were first heard. "Whistle While You work," "Heigh-Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come," each one a standard uplifter on a dreary day.

That the film is accessible to all ages obviously helped it gain universal appeal. Yes, very young kids are quite easily spooked by the darker moments that lay within, but around the corner is a treat, most notably in the form of 7 little dwarfs, each one with an identity and character that the young and old can fully embrace. One of the finest quotes I can remember about the dwarfs came from Charlie Chaplin, who straight out insisted that Dopey was "one of the greatest comedians of all time", and he`s right of course. True enough it has some minor rough edges that time has inflicted upon it. Snow White is voiced by Adriana Caselotti, her voice is very 30s, very shrill and much too childlike for a character meant to be a young woman. Whilst she`s not exactly painted in a good light, bit of an air-head is our Snow White, but to do down the film for its social portrayal of women in the late 30s would be churlish in the extreme!

Pixar, presently, keeps raising the bar, as computer-perfection-animation thrills the modern day crowd. But make no bones about it, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is still the benchmark animation movie. As technical advancements ensure we are wowed by this particular art form, Disneys folly watches over proceedings as the rightful lord of the manor. Masterpiece 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 14 July 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY wary of fake Disney films!, 28 May 2014

There are a few ways to tell, but the most obvious is the box. All Disney's come in a DARK Blue almost purple box, and have a slot in the side where you open it that fits a security tag. The three I've received have had a flimsy paler blue box which doesn't close properly. Look carefully at the printed label, is it slightly fuzzy? (especially at the top) - also look at the print quality on the disc itself. Disney films only contain a few numbers on the back of the disc, they NEVER write the name of the film but all three of mine said the feature name. I don't support the market of fake goods, but sadly there are lots of sellers on Amazon who are stocking them. I am only going to buy Disney's from Amazon if I can see that they are sold directly from Amazon, and not from third party sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 1 Jun 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Disney movie of all time, 31 Oct 2007
This is the movie that established Walt Disney's reputation as the master of children's cartoons. Even by today's exacting standards, the animation is top notch.

Perhaps the best test of Snow White's enduring charm and beauty is to sit a variety of children between the ages of 5 and 10 in front of it and watch how they become spellbound by it. Visually there is so much to see and enjoy. The detail is stunning. A collection of hugely talented and imaginiative people have vividly brought a stunning array of characters to life in a magical way - magical is truly the perfect word to describe this work of genius.

Of course, adults can enjoy Snow White again and again too. One of the joys of this movie is seeing your sons and daughters enjoy it as much as you did, when you first saw it. And, when you see it again after a gap of 25 years, its power still amazes you.

You could describe this movie as a rite of passage, something that every child should see, and why not - we all love a well-told story, which this unquestionably is. This is film that connects one generation to the next. Perhaps the only other movie that does this is "The Sound of Music".

My only gripe is that Disney releases it so rarely to preserve its value. So next time it comes out, I recommend you buy two copies because younger children will quickly damage the DVD in their eagerness to watch the film umpteen times.

What else can I say but thank you, Walt. It is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story - some bits at the start a bit scary for some little ones, 6 Feb 2014
I have 3 girls - two are 5, one is 8. They love this story, it is certainly a timeless classic. Lovely scenes, lots of funny bits and lovely songs. The evil queen is also great. Be aware that my girls did find the bit with the woodcutter at the start quite scary, it is only short - snow white is talking to the animals and you see the shadow behind her of him lifting his axe to kill her. She then turns around and screams and the scene stops. He tells her to run away as the queen is out to kill her. She runs into the woods which are dark and she imagines lots of scary things out to get her. After a few minutes she stops and lies crying, all the woodland animals appear and the whole atmosphere changes. That is the only scary bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars snow white, 30 Mar 2011
The DVD has superb colour the only thing that was imperfect was the sound we had to turn the volume full on but it still was hard to hear

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like they used to...., 9 Jun 2009
Tried and Tested (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
1937, the release of the first feature length animated film - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. 2009 and I'm writing a review on it, saying it's one of the best animated films ever made, in over 70 years very little has surpassed this film, I sound like my grandma when I say they don't make them like they used to and this is especially true of children's films. The emphasis now seems to be on trying to make the characters as lifelike as possible using computer imagery when an old fashioned cartoon is still the best on the market.

This is the first film that I ever cried at, a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life. As with many Disney movies this is a story of good vs evil with a sub-plot of romance. It is the characters that make this a truly memorable film, everyone will be able to identify with the dwarves, if not as a character that you are then as someone you know. A feel good family film.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (Disney) [VHS] [1938]
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (Disney) [VHS] [1938] by William Cottrell (VHS Tape - 2001)