4.0 out of 5 stars IDIOT, 3 Feb. 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
Thats what I thought of myself when I realised that I'd overlooked all of Bola's works. I'd been through music shops so many times, picked up his stuff and put it down with the thought of 'Oh I must check that out some time' ... now I've heard it I realise I've been missing out on something.
Going towards the more listenable side of Warp output rather than the abstract noodlings some other artists go for, its a totally comforting listening experience. Wonderful melodic synth laden tracks, hypnotic and futuristic.
Bizarely it occasionally reminds me of the soundtrack that accompanied Zone Of The Enders, the electro bleeps and squeaks and airy synths of Versivo and WIC being perfect examples of this.
Those who like the more melodic side of Warp, the Plaids, Boards Of Canadas of this world, and even those partial to nicely chilled albums like Global Communications 76:14 will find themselves right at home here. Don't make my mistake and put off listening to any of this!

5.0 out of 5 stars All positive reviews of soup = under-under-statements., 10 Jan. 2001
*ahem - gets on soapbox*
If you like electronic music or ambient music at all - FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS SANE BUY SOUP RIGHT NOW!!!
I thought Autechre were the be all and end all of idm, then I discovered Boards of Canada. Dreamy melodies and crunchy percussion, their releases also blew me away and I, again, thought "these guys really are the best." I was just so damned wrong. I'm amazed that Amazon can even get this thing, since Skam releases are usually so bloody hard to find! Not even afx can come close to this IMHO...
Darrell Fitton (aka Bola) succeeds - without the slightest hindrance - in creating the single most amazing album I've ever heard, even above any other "new electronica" artist I've given a go. Lush watery synth lines and driving electronic percussion, create a real sense of floating underwater. The grand, warm opening of Glinc through to Whoblo - what must be THE most emotional piece of music I have EVER heard (bettering even the likes of BOCs Olson v1, Everything You Do... and 1986 Summer Fire, and Arovane's superlative Tides), this album screams feeling from beginning to end. The kind of emotion that can make you laugh out loud, and cry your eyes away, I can't praise any of its 73 perfect minutes highly enough. Expect highly memorable ambient melodica and the occasional darker track (like Amnion)... and one instantly loveable "vocal" track (Aguilla). This LP is as diverse as it is wonderful - yet never incohesive or disorganised.
If this all sounds a little OTT, I don't care. I've been through all the Orb albums (even listening to U.F.Orb _religiously_ =), all the Autechre albums (yeah ppl, even Amber), the Fripp soundscapes, Gas releases (which are also incredible), BOC releases and the almost-as-impressive Orb/Fripp side-project FFWD (which comes darned close). If I were to choose ONE for my desert island disc, it would have to be Bola's Soup. The very mention of this album brings back many wonderful memories and times I had whilst listening to it to death back in early '99. I seem to come back to it every... other day. Whenever I can!
Un*%$!ingbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars TIMELESS CLASSIC, 14 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
BOLA remains quite possibly the most underrated and least heard of any artist in the electronica scene, which borders on the criminal given how good he is. From the swirling opener of GLINK to the stunning, melancholic closer of WHO BLO, this beatifully re-mastered release of BOLA's debut album reveals a depth of compositional talent, arrangement and sound design that had no equal amongst his contemporaries. Where much of BOARDS OF CANADA and APHEX TWIN have become dated, SOUP sounds as fresh and inspiring as the day it came out. Excursions into later releases SHAPES, MAUVER ep, FYUTI and KROUNGRINE are highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A miasmic journey through ambience, 24 Mar. 2006
K-Pax (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Bola but through reading some good things about them, decided to buy Soup. And, it's probably one of the best albums I have ever bought. There is enough variation in theme through the album to keep you interested in the different compositions but the album ends quite beautifully with Whoblo, a very Warp'esque track which will relax all the sinews in your muscles and trigger a rush of endorphins while it unravels through your mind. Quite beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
I bought this on cd ages ago, I can't remeber when or where and I have to confess I don't know what the track names are, which tracks stand out or how long they are. This cd exists as an enigma for me, I could reel off track names for most albums I own, subconsciously flick to the good tracks, tell you about the artist, producer etc. However, this album has never been far from the stereo since it was purchased, never languished at the bottom of a cd mountain, never been boxed up or sold on.
It works best as a whole, at over an hour long it is perfect for putting on when I sleep, drifting off and coming round to the massive soundscapes.
I put this cd on almost every night it is one of the finest electronic albums i've ever heard, easily up there with Music has the right to children (BoC), Life forms (FSOL), Tri Repetae (Autechre) or any classic Warp release of the early to mid nineties for that matter. If you are searching for an electronic masterpiece look no further it is utterly sublime and worth every penny you end up paying for it and more

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem of an album, 8 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
This album is a must for anyone who likes their grooves served chilled and melodic; have you listened to Music has the right to children, Selected Ambient Works and the White Album? Yes? Then listen to this too and loose yourself.

Soup
Soup by Bola (Audio CD - 1998)