5.0 out of 5 stars How amazing can you get?!!
Published on 20 Feb 2002 by tomlin

2.0 out of 5 stars new punk rock band similar to Green Day
I have lisend to a few trakes from this album such as teenage riot and thick it is a album well worth buying. I am going to get it as soon as posible, i found out about it in a kerrage magazine it was there album of the week. If you like good bands like Green Day, Offspring, Blink-182 ect you will like this
Published on 6 Feb 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars How amazing can you get?!!, 20 Feb 2002
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This, quite simply, is one of the best punk albums money can buy, and great things are to be expected from The Ataris. Kris Roe is an amazingly talented song writer and his lyrics are heartfelt and moving. The most noticable songs are "summer wind..." and "how I spent my summer vacation", because they both reflect the raw feelings in the lyrics and their brilliant tunes. Any punk fan will love this album, because every song is a carefully constructed masterpiece. You can listen to this album over and over and over and still it never fails to surprise you in some new way; never becoming boring like a lot of punk records do at the moment. So give The Ataris a go and I promise if you like punk music, you won't be disappointed!!
If, like me, you buy this album and love it, try "Blue skies broken hearts...", their previous album, as this is very good indeed as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review ... of End Is Forever, 28 Dec 2003
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
When writing this review I was torn between giving the album a four or a five star rating. Ideally I would mark "End Is Forever" somewhere between the two (four and a half stars?), but, after much deliberation, I decided upon full marks for the album.
I believe that The Ataris have progressed in quite clear stages, with each album having its own distinct sound. If forced to put a label on them circa "End Is Forever", it would probably be Ataris go country. Don't, however, let this put you off. The album is brimming with ingenuity, with uses of slides (as often used by country artists - hence the country-ish feel) cello, piano, moog and Joey Cape, both singing backing vocals and making dead animal noises.
These, combined with the guitar style, make "End Is Forever" a slightly different prospect to "Blue Skies, Broken Hearts ...". I wouldn't say better (as I consider "Blue Skies" to be one of ,if not the best, albums ever), but better than a shameless re-hash of their previous effort.
The first track was initially one of my favourites - it has uplifting guitars but somewhat depressing lyrics. This is a theme employed in a lot in the album, and to good effect.
"Summer Wind Was Always Our Song" would fit nicely onto "Blue Skies", high praise indeed. It's probably one of the strongest tracks on the album and its lyrics are just lovely.
"I.O.U. One Galaxy" is what I consider to be the typical Ataris song - sweet (cheesy?) lyrics about girls with good guitar and drums. If you like this then you like The Ataris.
Track four is brief and to a certain extent continues the theme set by the first four tracks, with definitely love related lyrics. However, in this song you get the first of the country influences which give the song something else, and Kris certainly sounds a bit angrier. Also, the excerpt from "Clerks" is rather cool.
"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start" has, obviously, a wonderful title. The song itself has a strong moog section and is generally not bad.
"Road Signs and Rock Songs" is next, and for me typifies "End Is Forever". It has great lyrics, and I would say an overall emo tinge.
"If You Really Want To Hear About It" is one of my favourite songs on the disk, I think the lyrics contrast well with the music and create quite a bleak feel. To me it sounds almost wintry. I know others might disagree, but the line "When summer's gone I won't be sad / as you cling on to all the good times that you've had" make me feel quite bleak and cold. And wintry.
Track eight is my favourite on the whole album. There is use of a piano as well as another film clip, this time from Good Will Hunting, and really quite beautiful lyrics. Magic.
"Song For A Mix Tape" is, in comparison, fairly weak. I don't especially like the words (although the quotes from Jawbreaker and the Descendents are clever), but I do like the very country outro.
The next song is magnificent. "You Need A Hug" is smart, angry and very, very catchy. It's also not a love song, bringing the total non-love songs for the album up to three and a half, if as I was counting ("Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start", "Fast Times At Dropout High" and to an extent, "If You Want To Hear About It").
To me track eleven, "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" is similar to the seventh song, "If You Really Want To Hear About It", which is a good thing. However, it isn’t one of the standouts for me.
"Teenage Riot" is probably one of the most well known songs on the disk, with the drum (and bass) at the beginning being rather brilliant. Overall it's angry yet bouncy (and makes the non-love song total five, counting half of "How I Spent My Summer Vacation").
Song thirteen is imaginatively titled "Song #13", but is, in effect, the title track. Fast and angry, it's fantastic. Probably the third best song on the album.
The closer is "Hello And Goodbye" a very acoustic, very love-song closing to the album. Not really one of my favourites.
In conclusion, "End Is Forever" is a very good album. It's different to the others, but still better than pretty much any other band you care to mention. Elements of country, emo and the Ataris are a nice mix, and whilst possibly a tad cheesy in places (the reason I was torn between five and four stars), contains some of their best songs. Oh, and the final non-love song count was five and a half (half of "Song #13). Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Great, Great....Go buy it NOW!!!!!, 31 May 2001
S. Belton "Shinzaru" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
O.k, This album by the*Ataris is probably the best of the bunch,o.k, it's not as heavy as Blue skies, broken hearts, but it has the "Summery, feel good" vibe about it, which to me is far more powerful. Songs like "Fast times at drop out high" and "If you really want to know..." have both the melody and punk appeal to them. Mixed up with great catchy tunes like "I.O.U one galaxy" and "summer wind was always our song" makes this albums truly a must have for any punk fan! Also if you think that you are a punker and have decided after reading this, that the Ataris seem to quiet for you THINK AGAIN!!! cause after all these great songs they have "Song 13" and "up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,a,b,start" which bring them back to there early roots of "Anywhere but here".And if that wasn't enough then you expect to much!!! Go buy it.....

5.0 out of 5 stars just amazing, 21 Feb 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This album is meaningful and has thought and emotions behind every line of every song. After listening to "blue skies, broken hearts........"and "anywhere but here" countless times it is clear to see that the Ataris are not just another sellout band. This album has more of an edgy sound to the punk and more of a "pretty summers day, birds flying in the deep blue sky" sound to the pop riffs. The track "Summer wind was always our song" particularly stands out to anyone who has ever lost love as does the "ALL" sounding, "Giving up on love." "Teenage riot" takes a stab at the people who confuse them with the similarly named, "Atari teenage riot." The Ataris are unique and are going to be huge so by this Now"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great following to Blue Skies!, 18 May 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
The Ataris were hard-pressed to follow-up the awesome Blue Skies, Broken Hearts Next 12 Exits. I think they suceeded brilliantly. The Ataris have continued to shine, starting with great writing from Kris Roe. The guy is a master at capturing the essence of unrequited love and happy, carefree days hanging out with your best friend, and putting that into a fantastic catchy musical package. Summer Wind was Always Our Song, Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start, Road Signs and Rock Songs, Bad Case of Broken Heart, and Teenage Riot are among the best on the album. How could you go wrong with a band that not only names themselves after a video game system, but also names one of their songs after a Nintento cheat code!? Well worth buying!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like findin a £5 note on the floor which is actually a £20, 21 Jun 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This album takes the genre of Emo Rock to its limits. Oh my god is this good! It stirs those parts of your soul that you dont even know existed.
Admittedly not as good as 'Blue Skies', but equally as emmotional. Kris warbles about his broken hearts and lost loves as though........ it was with you! Despite the fact that they constantly soil on relationships and love, this is a must have album!
All the songs are good, but my favourites are the song that sounds like a Nintendo cheat and 'Teenage Riot'. But tracks 1-7 rock also.
**'THERE ARE PLENTY OF FINE LOOKING WOMEN IN THE WORLD, BUT THEY DONT ALL BRING YOU LASANGE AT WORK MOST OF THEM JUST CHEAT ON YOU'**

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but not brilliant, 6 Mar 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, this is a great record, but comparing it to NOFX or Millencolin? Come on. That just isn't right. It's like comparing Mozart with Adam and the Ants. Punk pop and punk rock are two different things entirely. Yeah, this is melodic and the lyrics meaningful (not as good as blue skies, broken hearts, next 12 exits) but the strange guitar effects and country-esque solos seem slightly out of place on a so called 'punk' record. As for this being the record that catapults them in to the lime light? I hope not. If that happens, we'll just have another Green Day on our hands. Just let them be and hope that future releases are as good, if not better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop punk from the highest branch of the tree...., 5 Mar 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This cd is absolutley fantastic. The Ataris have been progressing steadily over time and frontman Kris Roe has always had a lot of songwriting talent, but on this record he's taken it to new heights. Nearly every song is a beautiful, heartfelt melodic punk masterpiece. Its tough to pick standout tracks because they are all very good, if pushed I'd say for me it's 'I.O.U one galaxy', 'You Need A Hug' and 'If you really wanna hear about it'. What the Ataris have achieved here is amazing and this could well be the album that finally catapults them into the bigtime. I certainly hope so because everyone needs to hear these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Future!!!!!, 4 May 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This is the future of punk as we know it. The Ataris veer away from the so called"why did the chicken cross the road" punk of the Vandals. If you want superb music with the odd funny one liners in songs then this is the Band to watch out for. It is for everybodies taste even those Random sound likers of At the Dive in (Bind bang bong) and the ska fanatics like LTJ fans this is it the border of everything and has to be to everyones taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent record, 26 Mar 2001
This review is from: End Is Forever (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic CD, I don't think anything will match Blue Skies for kickin' noise value, but this is a polished, refreshing listen that grows on me more and more as the maturing quality of the band shine through. I think the talent here is clear and if The Ataris only make future records with a mix of songs as good as these and on blue skies, they can do no wrong.

End Is Forever
End Is Forever by Ataris (Audio CD - 2001)