5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 29 Dec 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
A really soothing and sublime set of downtempo tunes, some really chilled out feeling and depth goes into Rollo's solo album and you can really hear the talent of this man here. If you liked 'Respect Your Mother' you will love this, but dont be fooled: Dusted's "When We Were Young" is not a "one-song" album. It's a wonderful album packed with intelligent and deep music. You will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollo from Faithless makes the album of 2000, 1 July 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
It's wonderful. People describe this album as "Ibiza Sunrise" and I know exactly what they mean - if feels *sooo* happy and relaxed, just chilling with friends. The sun comes up and you just know it's going to be a beautiful day.
The album starts with the stunning dub "Childhood" which is the perfect introduction - a bit hazy, a bit cool, a bit trippy. The track then seamlessly blends in to the second, "time takes time", and by the time everything goes quiet and the vocals kick in, you just *know* that this is going to be one of your all-time favourite albums.
There are absoultely no duffers here - the album is a sort-of concept album based around feelings and experiences of childhood (witness the sadness of Hurt U (we've all been there) and the ironic/funny kid's view of "If I had a child") and it all fits together perfectly. There aren't many albums I know of which hang together this well (Sgt. Pepper maybe) - how many CD's do you have where you skip even *half* the tracks? Not here.
...It's stunning. I am just flabbergasted that an album with a track as good as "Under the sun" could have been this well hidden. Beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could you love anyone who doesn't love Dusted?, 9 Jan 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
This is quite simply the best CD I've heard in a long time. If you like beautiful, melodic, tuneful music, you'll like this. If you like music with feeling and passion, you'll like this. If you like concept albums and thought-provoking and inspiring words, you'll like this.
If you like to sit back and let smooth, dulcet tones cascade all over you, then this is for you. If, on the other hand, you like to be uplifted by moving tunes that make you sit up to take notice and bask in the glory of the sound, this is also for you. And if you like brilliantly produced albums you can turn up loud on an excellent stereo and just admire the variation and sheer intelligence of it all, then this is for you. As Paul Oakenfold and Radio 1's Mark and Lard have both commented, this CD samples choir boys for heaven's sakes, and you'd expect that to sound pretentious, yet it doesn't.
If you like music, you'll like Dusted. If you don't like music, you'll still probably like Dusted. Honestly. If I had enough money I'd buy it for everyone I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars a breath of fresh air!, 26 Aug 2000
A. Azmy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
this album is absolutely wonderful... the chill out album of the year (imho)... buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, 13 July 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that's so good on so many levels that you can keep playing it over and over. Not only is this top drawer chill-out music, but stitched between the smooth and tripy songs is a great concept album.
The happy feel of this album reminds me of Primal Scream's Screamadelica but there's a darker side to it. Bad childhood experiences and fears are lurking in the background should you let your ear be draw in by the lyrics or some of the crazier music. Some excellent performances all round and definitely one of the best albums I've got.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but a bit pretentious at times, 24 May 2014
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
Fantastic from start to finish but if you are expecting Rollo to be hammering out the beats from Faithless then this is not the album for you. It is more reflective and ponderous than anthemic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant creation, 5 Jun 2013
C. Oubridge "chrisoubridge" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
Not much to add to what the other 5 star reviewers said. This is a truly excellent album. Get it. Listen to the music. Don't forget to listen to the words - and then think about them. If you still don't think it's amazing (well, we're all different; we're all individuals) leave it at a friend's place without saying anything, so that the magic isn't wasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Quality, 10 May 2012
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
Twelve year later and this is still one of the best albums I've ever heard. There's nothing quite like it, nothing does what it does quite so entirely and so well. As other have pointed out, there's no duff tracks here. The album has a mixture of emotions, happy and fun, sad and lonely, even bits of comedy and Bach in there, and yet it all fits together. The production is fantastic, the concept is endearing, the execution is almost perfect. For me the highlight of the album is probably 'Want U' with its sweeping soundscape, swaying basslines and potent mix of darkness, lust and nursery rhyme. But there are so many good songs here that, like so much true art, everybody can take different things from this album. What surprises me its still relatively unknown even after all this time. But that only adds to its charm, it was made for the love of music, and I guess that's how people will find it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It certainly grows on you..., 1 April 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
Being a great fan of Faithless and more recently of Dido I could not resist buying this album. At first I was a litle disapointed by its content but after placing it on repeat during my days I can definitely say it was a worthy addition to my record collection. Very mellow, and reminds me of a fairytale I without a doubt recomend it to others if you like to chill out to your music

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 11 Mar 2001
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
I bought the Dusted album off the back of one review and the fact that I liked the picture on the cover, and I don't often do that kinda thing. It didn't dissappoint. Written by Rollo of faithless (who I'd never heard before), it also has some tracks cowritten by his sister Dido (showing the same songwriting prowess as on No Angel). And the music is amazing. This isn't one for your dance lovers - this trancends the boundaries, just as Moby has done it includes absolutely brilliant songs. I'll stop raving now, go and buy it yourself and you'll see what I mean.

When We Were Young
When We Were Young by Dusted (Audio CD - 2001)