5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Heavy Progressive Music!!
Published on 11 Nov 2006 by Richard Smithston

1.0 out of 5 stars The Drapery Falls - Ruined
Blackwater Park - a classic album getting the best type of remix. I would love this and on the whole, I do, however, the problem is the best song on the album - The Drapery Falls - is monumentally destroyed.

For whatever reason, the song "Harvest" is repeated on loop all the way through, at 50% of the volume, meaning you can barely hear anything but Mikael's...
Published on 18 April 2010 by Annoyed fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Heavy Progressive Music!!, 11 Nov 2006
Richard Smithston (Wiltshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
I finally took the plunge and bought this album after toying with the idea for a couple of years. Porcupine Tree are one of my favourite bands and Steve Wilson helped produce this album. The only thing that put me off was the idea of listening to all the Death Metal grunts that I knew would proliferate. I have written this review just to say that if there is anyone else out there with the same concern, just buy this amazing masterpiece now!! This delightful mix of heavy, acoustic and progressive riffing has everything from beauty to savagery in it and usually in the same song. What really impresses me about this album is although the music is progressive in every sense of the word, it's never rammed down your throat. It flows effortlessly. Blackwater Park Should have won them awards. Unfortunately amazing music like this will never be the critics choice. Well nevermind that, enhance your life and buy this album immediately!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album from start to finish, 18 Jun 2005
B. Rose "Soothsayer" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
Blackwater Park is an awesome album, no question about it, and it may have gained them a lot more acclaim but it's not their best album by a long shit, in my opinion anyway, if you're looking to get into Opeth (which I VERY highly recommend you do), check out Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life.
I'll just do a track by track rundown, it's easier.
The Leper Affinity: This song kicks off the album perfectly, excellent riffage, leads onto a nice lead harmony and finishes off with a nice piano outro to round it off. Awesome
Bleak: Although some people don't like this track because of the repeating in the first 4 mins or so, stick with this one, it is awesome, strange little james bond sounding riff that leads onto one of the most melodic guitar breaks, the kind that gives ya goosebumps. Chorus is also great.
Harvest: Lovely acoustic track with a hint of dark thanks to Steven Wilsons nice effects on the lead at the beginning, great chorus, good to sing along to.
The Drapery Falls: A lot of peoples fave on this album but is slightly overrated I think, the intro gets a bit dull but it definetly picks up round the midsection, overall a good song.
Dirge For November: Very nice acoustic passage at the beginning that leads onto some very evil (and oddly enough melodic) chord progressions, finishes off with a very nice acoustic part the end that drips atmosphere.
The Funeral Portrait: When you hear the beginning acoustic riff, you just know it's leading up to something, and it does with style, awesome riffage and a great headbanging track, one of the heavier tracks on the album.
Patterns In The Ivy: Sweet little acoustic interval, nice for a few listens but gets a bit dull, although saying that, it does lead up to the next song nicely...
Blackwater Park: Well, this just finishes off the album perfectly, some awesome riffs and a soft acoustic part makes you think that this is not gonna get heavy, you're damn wrong, some heavy ass riffs come into play, one of the best songs on the album.
I'm not going to go into the bonus tracks, but if you're new to this album, I recommend getting the special edition with two extra tracks (Still Day In The Sun and Patterns In The Ivy II), both acoustic tracks, both excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning scope, 1 Feb 2003
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
What an album this is. My first 'Opeth' experience was 'Deliverence', which is one of the best albums I have ever heard. I don't know how I missed 'Opeth' for so long as they are one of the most original bands out there. So today a parcel dropped through my letter box. Blackwater Park. The limited edition 2 CD version, wrapped in an all black sleave. And what an album. Unlike some CD's, this one instantly mesmorises. Brutal death metal riffs and vocals mix with cascading melody and accoustic parts and mellow vocals with some blues thrown in for good measure. The scope really is astounding. It's hard to put into words how good Opeth really are. Unlike a lot of bands, they are open to load's of different styles, but they all meld into that 'Opeth' sound. The arrangments are so eclectic and original, so melodic and heavy at the same time, it takes your breath away. So, if you have yet to experience 'Opeth', then 'Blackwater Park' is the perfect place to start. And, if you can, try and buy the limited edition for the extra tracks and video. You will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opeth does it again?, 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
This was the first ever Opeth album I bought. Previously having numerous MP3s on my computer I decided to grab one.
This album starts out pretty good. 'The Leper Affinity' fades in slowly then whacks you on the back of the head with some heavy guitaring and double bass drumming. Mikaels vocals are great as always.
I've never really got into 'Bleak', I don't like the repetative nature of the vocals (like in 'Masters Apprentice' on 'Deliverence'). Its just something thats not really caught me but it is a great track.
'Harvest' is one of 2 Opeth songs I was recommended when my old friend told me about Opeth so its a rather special track to me. Its unlike the other tracks, this track is mainly acoustic, It flows well and is rather catchy, along with being basicly my first ever Opeth track it is my favourite mellow/quieter song of Opeths.
'The Drapery falls' is the other song I was recommended when I heard of Opeth for the first time. At first I didnt think much of it, but now (in my opinion) its one of the best Opeth tracks ever. It starts a bit 'poofy' as Mikael states on the live dvd but it all fits together perfectly. Starting with acoustic then going into a catchy riff with clean vocals the song sticks out. The song then takes a traditional turn where we get the death metal vocals. The song has great drumming with a amazing guitar part that is simply amazing (Again) live. I can't really say its special how the clean and rough vocals mix on this track but its done perfectly!. The whole song is a masterpiece full stop.
'Patterns in the Ivy' is another quiet track like Harvest. But not as good of course. After Patterns in the Ivy you come to the title track which is another amazing addition to the album. Having long breaks in the song then great riffs (another Opeth speciality) makes this song a great title track.
These are the only tracks that I can really give a good opinion on. The other songs i've not really got into like other Opeth albums. But this album on a whole is one of Opeths finest with the amazing track 'The Drapery falls' you can't really go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic, 25 Nov 2003
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
First things first - this album is absolutely incredible!Never have i heard an album which contains songs so aggresive and intense yet to sumblimely beautiful. Opeth are one of the few bands who can create music with such amazing variety, yet never losing the focus of the sound.A mixture of gruesome death vocals and soothing singing, grinding guitars complimented by peaceful acoustic playing, gentle piano, and a terrific array of drum styles, Opeth never fail to conjure up something awe inspiring.
'Blackwater Park' has to be their best release to date.The opening song 'The Leper Affinity' is probably the best track on the album as it has heavy and melodic metal parts, relaxing acoustic parts, and a lovely piano solo to finish.
Other stand out tracks are 'Bleak', 'The Funeral Portrait', and 'Blackwater Park', the title track.
If you're looking for heavy metal with structure and melody, then this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly outstanding on all levels., 7 Nov 2003
Where to start....
Well, as this is my first Opeth album, It probably will stand out more to me than any other Opeth albums i will listen to in the future... then again maybe not.
If there was one word to discribe this album, it is 'EPIC'.
I'm allways keeping my mind open to the various sub-genres of metal and the millions of top quality bands, Opeth being the latest band to grab my attention. Having never heard any Opeth songs, i took a risk with buying this album, as i knew them to be a death metal band, death metal not allways being my cup of tea. How suprised i was. I'ts the perfect blend of heavy riffs and acoustic goodness, death growls and really good singing.
The death vocals do it for me though.
The album is very techincal. The shear quality of the songs is amazing, with the average running up to about 9 - 10 minutes in length. The tracks that really stood out to me are 'Bleak' which has a killer riff at the begining, then fades into an acoustic part and then back into heavy stuff to finish it off, clocking in at 9.15. 'The Drapery Falls' also is very impresive as in the Title track. Even the cover art is cool.
This is my first Opeth album and it certainly wont be my last at any rate. Only problem now is which album to head to next!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good album to play loud...., 22 April 2003
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
As I write this I am listening to the album in question. It starts off with the slow deep build up of 'The Leper Affinity' which after 28 seconds bursts into the climatic roar of guitar, complimented with the phenomenal drumming of one Martin Lopez. This album starts off on a high as this song is outstanding, the lyrics are well thought up and meaningfull (a trait that is all so rare with most modern bands) and the music composed beautifully. As the song glides seemlessly from the loud to the quiet, you forget what you're doing and just listen to the mellow middle section. Just as you're getting comfortable in this new acoustic mode the band suprise you as they rush back into distortion. The climax is......I can't find the words to describe it. It is piano, just piano, and is an amazing conclusion to an amazing song.
The next couple of songs are very good. More melodic guitar riffs and vocals appear here which shows Opeth put a great deal of time into the writing of the whole album, not just focusing on one or two songs. 'Bleak' contains a brilliant verse riff which blasts you out your seat one minute then pulls you back for a quieter, roll off part. 'Harvest' is a very quiet mellow song, which concentrates on the acoustic guitar and soothing vocals. It is a great song to relax to, very pleasent.
The next song is one 'The Drapery Falls' and is one of the best on the album. It has a good mixture of the loud with the quiet and overall is a great listen. When I saw them live not long ago this song got lots of cheer when they announced it. A well loved song by me and many others.
'Dirge For November' is the next offering. It is a pleasent piece with nice acoustic guitar playing and vocals although sadly when the distortion comes on this song fails, and the riffs are not so good when compared with others on the album. So right now I'm putting it back to the beggining of the song with the acoustic.
Next up is 'The Funeral portrait' which again, like 'The Leper Affinity' builds up to a distortion section at the beggining and then leads onto amazing guitar playing by Peter Lindgren and Mikhael. About a minute in a phenomenal riff comes in which I cannot help feeling happy when I hear it. It's not mellow, just unbeleivably heavy and satisfying. The rest of the song doesn't let up and it remains at this high quality all the way through.
'Patterns in the Ivy' is a very short song and has no vocals. It is completely acioustic guiatar and piano. Although not being long it is a very mellow offering from Opeth and really calms you down ready for the final song.
'Blackwater park'. The title track. This song mirrors the album. Outstanding. The dual guitar work is very well composed and well timed. It goes from loud, to a short quiet section, back to the loud again and ends with an acoustic ending to the album.
Overall this album is a masterpiece. It will appeal to many different people as the tracks vary from the quiet to the incredibly loud. Well put together and nice packaging. Need I say much else...

5.0 out of 5 stars Opeth at their best, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
The classic Opeth album, released after Still Life and with the recognisable touch of Porcupine Trees Steve Wilson producing, this album is the epitome of the Prog metal genre. Opeth must be the only band to easily move from death metal to acoustic within a 6 minute song. This album is a great collection of what Opeth are capable of. Songs like The Leper Affinity & The Drapery Falls, songs that would blow a fair few speakers are cushioned in with the acoustic Harvest & Patterns in the Ivy. This album highlights progressive music as it should be, with each track offering a number of genres. Åkerfeldt's vocals will amaze you as he goes from Death grunts backed by Peter Lindgren's stunning guitar work to beautiful melodies within seconds. Wilsons work is obvious on this album compared to the previous Still Life and this has got to the be the ultimate Opeth album to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here be demons..., 18 May 2008
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
This for me is a hugely rewarding and enjoyable album.

As I'm learning the guitar this is an absolute treasure trove of guitar styles. Everything from thrash metal, spanish guitar to gilmour-ish floydian lyricism. Usually all in one song too !

So full of ideas and somehow quite nostalgic in sound.

Oh wow, Drapery Falls just came on as I write this. Stunning. Sounds like a film score.

If dream theater are "the light side", these guys are definitely the dark.

As mentioned by others there is growling. But it works in the context.

Dream Theater meets Hammer House of Horror...

5.0 out of 5 stars grows and grows, 14 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
Utterly sublime. I really liked some of the songs on this album the first time I heard them, especially the incredible riffs and harmonies in the title track, but give this album a few listens and it will grow and grow on you. There isn't a bad song here, every one is a haunting, evocative, unforgettable masterpiece.
Opeth transcend genres, this isn't just for 'death metal' fans.

Blackwater Park
Blackwater Park by Opeth (Audio CD - 2001)