What was said about Fred Astaire after his first screen test, "Balding, can't sing, dances a little" sorry if I quoted it incorrectly, my memory is not what is was. Well he may have been a little thin on top, but the other comments are about as far from the truth as it's possible to get.

This double CD has 50 tracks, so there will be a few missing from his large output, but for me his finest are here. The sound restoration on these old tracks is good, but don't expect miracles as they date from 1920's to 1950, infact one can hear the gradual improvement in sound quality as the date progresses.

I have heard several other similar issues, this has the best sound quality IMHO, well above the actual film sound tracks issue which is very poor. For better sound you have to have Jazz Time, but this has re-recordings made in the early 50's with Oscar Peterson and they are in a very different style from his earlier versions.

I have written other reviews of his CD's which maybe of help.
I own this CD and can thoroughly recommend it.

PS. Also try his last recordings from the 1970's, these are in stereo and although his voice is in fine form, the arrangments do not give the right nostalgia for me, see "The Complete London Sessions"
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 21 June 2013
Recived my copy yesterday and found it very enjoyable to listen to. This is a very good double CD If your a fan of Fred Astaire I highly reccomend this CD

wayne
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again