5.0 out of 5 stars The first great miles davis quintet at its best
Published on 18 Sep 2001 by Adam Ventress

2.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't do it for me.
The tough thing about reviewing Miles Davis albums is that almost all of them have at some point been reassessed as masterpieces. Even albums like 'On the Corner', once derided, are now spoken of in hushed tones.

Published 21 months ago by Alexander J. Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars The first great miles davis quintet at its best, 18 Sep 2001
Adam Ventress (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
When critics cite Miles' best records, this rarely gets a mention; but to me, Round About Midnight is one of the definitive Miles albums.it features his first great quintet at the height of their powers, and the sheer effortless professionalism of these recordings is amazing. The title track is one of Miles' great ballad performances, stark, moody and walking a fine line between soothing and haunting.Coltrane is the perfect foil, at this stage not the finished product as a performer in his own right but a brilliant sideman. The rest of the album is laid back but full of vibrant energy and All of You in particular swings irresistably. This may not be Miles' most innovative work, but it is unquestionably among his most polished and enjoyable, and the sound on the recent cd re-issue is superb for a 1956 recording. It is a must for Miles fans, and deserves a higher prfile.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool jazz at its best, 26 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
A very cool album by the sublime Miles Davis Quintet of the 50's. The individual strengths of each player that made this group so good are showcased on this recording; The beautiful tone of Miles's trumpet being played through a harmon mute directly into the microphone, inventive solos from Coltrane, steady drumming from Philly Joe and laid back playing from Red Garland on piano.
An extremely cool, laid-back album from the quintet, one of my favourite Davis albums, well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rendition of Round Midnight ever., 22 Jun 2014
Wonderful tones that other artists are unable to achieve, Miles Davis's playing leaves me with raised hairs on the back of my neck and the shivers. Just wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles -The Man, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
As someone only recently introduced to Miles Davis via Kind Of Blue I thought I'd research a few albums via YouTube first before putting my hand in my pocket - and as soon as I heard this it didn't take long to buy. This is a classic mid 50's sound, his first for Columbia, with Davis on superb form surrounded by a tight ensemble that brings out the very best in the music. The recording is crystal clear and the additional sleeve note authoritative. All in all a great package for relaxing to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but there is better Miles stuff out there...., 25 April 2013
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
I really enjoy "Round About Midnight" as I do with all Miles work but I will say that there is better stuff out there. There is just a little something missing which I just can't put my finger on. Still a very good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Miles Davis I enjoyed., 19 July 2014
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)
Had to have this back in my collection as original had gone AWOL.
Gave up on Miles from Miles Smiles .Last Miles Davis I enjoyed .

2.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't do it for me., 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Round About Midnight (Audio CD)

On Wikipedia, 'Round about Midnight' is said to be one of the best jazz recordings in history. But I have learnt to take all opinions other than my own with a pinch of salt if I am to stand even a chance of making an original contribution to music criticism.

So, without further ado, I proclaim that this particular album does not do that much for me. I don't know whether or not this is just Miles on a bad day or if it is that I don't like this style of jazz in general. I just feel this album lacks that intriguing atmosphere that pervades 'Milestones', 'A Kind of Blue', 'In A Silent Way', or 'Bitches Brew'.

I sort of made my mind up after the first chord. It just lacked that magic and I firmly believe that you can tell the merit of the whole from an analysis of its constituent parts. For me, it just never lifts off.

Round About Midnight
Round About Midnight by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2001)