Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

VINE VOICEon 15 March 2004
I watched this recently looking forward to a good movie and I wasn't disappointed. I bought this because I like both Dennis Quaid and Julia Roberts and I've found you can't go too far wrong with Robert Duvall either.
This tells the story of Grace, (Roberts), and her husband Eddie, (Quaid), and what appears to be their perfect marriage. Until one day that is when Grace sees Eddie kissing another woman in the street. It turns out that Eddie has been cheating on Grace with not just one woman but several.
Grace works for her father, (Duvall), at his stables and he is less than pleased when he learns that Grace has left Eddie and has returned to the family home. He has an important business deal with Eddie coming up and thinks she should reconcile with him because of it. Her mother, (Rowlands), is also less than pleased although she changes her way of thinking when Grace lets her in on a few home truths.
Grace's sister, played by Kyra Sedgwick, is delightful. She seems to be the only one who agrees with Grace that Eddie should be made to suffer for his infidelities. She manages to cause a great deal of pain to Eddie in one particular scene that had me laughing out loud.
Through all of this, Grace continues to work and raise her daughter. She also continues to go to her weekly baking club where it seems all the towns womenfolk gather to swap recipies and, of course, the latest piece of gossip.
One of my favourite scenes is when Grace decides to have Eddie round to dinner so they can discuss their problems in a civilised manner, and she quite innocently dishes up a meal of poisoned fish!!! What ensues is delightfully comical as Eddie realsises what she has done to him!
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and recommend it to all girls who fancy a nice, cosy night in with the duvet and a tub of ice cream!
0Comment53 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is another classic from Julia Roberts. Dennis Quaid, Robert Duval and the rest of the cast did not disappoint. What do you do when you find out your husband is cheating on you? I am sure we all have different answers to this question but Grace played by Julia Roberts decided to take action that was of such comedic proportion that will leave you laughing so hard. If you have ever been betrayed in any way you will sympathise with her and understand why she had to act the way she did. Of course Robert Duvall playing the father of Grace did not share this understanding as coming from the old school he believed a woman's place is in her husband's house no matter what he does to her. This movie although very funny and comedic, deals with a lot of serious issues in relationships: betrayal, separation, forgiveness, the impact of our actions on our children, and many more. I really loved this movie and it has a lot of moments that will take your breath away, like the dance scene between Grace (Julia) and her husband (Dennis Quaid). This is a great movie; you can't go wrong with this DVD.
on 19 January 2005
I really enjoyed this film. It had several very funny moments and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a "chick flick" or who is a Julia Roberts fan.
on 28 April 2013
What can we say? she's like marmite you love it or hate it, an emotional account of two peoples lifes and their close social friends not a dull moment a very well written and directed movie of its time.
on 27 June 2003
This is a brilliant gift for any film fan. all three films star julia roberts along with hollywood superstars mel gibson, denzel washington and dennis quaid. each film comes in its own individual box and is worth buying as essentially is three films for the price of one! each film is very different and julia roberts shines in all of them. overall i would recommend this as it is an amazing box set to own.
on 27 August 2012
I really loved this DVD film. I was most impressed with the efficiency and prompt delivery of my purchase. I would highly recommend Amazon to family and friends. Thank you again for a very good service. Jo
on 13 March 2013
yet another one of her films that i have enjoyed and even had a little laugh to myself. I think that they both suit each other and go along together very well enjoy girls great chick flick
on 9 September 2014
I own all DVDs that Julia Roberts has been in, she's a great actress and this film is no different. She's great. Very good supporting actors also, nice story and a heart warming film
on 9 April 2014
Funny little gem of a movie with laugh out loud moments through out the script as the film unfolds. worth the purchase and a good one to lift your spirits when you are feeling down.
on 4 August 2010
Great film just gotta stick with it up until about 20mins in, If you stick with it its worth it. Once again Julia Roberts does not disapoint.x