5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sexies records you will ever hear...
Published on 20 Jun. 2001 by rachel_anstis@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag
Published on 26 May 2011 by Maningrey LSS

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sexies records you will ever hear..., 20 Jun. 2001
This review is from: They Say I'm Different (Audio CD)
Betty D is the Amazon Queen of Funk, S&M bluesy diva, and could (quite literally) whip you into a frenzy! It's not often a record becomes one of your all time favourite recordings, before you've even finished listening to it for the first time. I can't understand how I've missed out on her for so long - don't make the same mistake- you will NOT regret buying this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album IS the bomb, 25 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: They Say I'm Different (Audio CD)
Those interested in buying this album better not have a weak disposition, because Betty Davis takes no prisoners - this album is the real deal, 10,000 watts of pure, hard funk. Our Betty had an affair with Hendrix while married to Miles, but even that impressive pedigree can't prepare you for the magic contained on this album. A sadly neglected figure in the pantheon of female funksters, do yourself a favour and give Betty her due. This lady is the business.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 26 May 2011
This review is from: They Say I'm Different (Audio CD)
I owned this CD years ago, at the time I didn't enjoy it much and gave it away, I remember finding Davis' voice a bit grating. Years later I found this CD in a second hand record shop and took a punt and a packaging on the reissue was cool. I have to say I feel slightly more warmly towards it now although it is still a hit and miss experience. All of her albums feature open ended funk grooves, tough and dark, more similar in feel to Sly Stone on There's a Riot Going On than tight tightness of JB or the spaceyness of Parliament although there are elements of Funkadelic's rock funk vibe and some of it looks forward to Rick James and his punk funk schtick. Her first record actually featured members of Sky Stone and Santana which is what made me look her up in the first place, this album features her touring band instead but there is not much difference in the playing, infact the road band are probably tighter and suit the music better than a bunch of superstars.

The albums stands of falls but how much you like Betty's voice, on her first album she actually sang a few tunes and revealed a rich deep singing style that is pretty cool, but for most of the time she uses a shrill harsh rasp that is very much love or hate. The songs are pretty similar and everything stands or falls on the groove, when it hits a hot one everything clicks into a hot sweaty grind but when it misses it becomes plodding tuneless ranting. Her strike rate is similar to Funkadelic, about 3/4 good tracks per album that are so good you forgive the 3/4 turkeys.

Sometimes I am put in mind of a parallel universe version of On The Corner or Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, the albums he recorded with an eye on the hippy rock audience. Betty's albums have the same deep grooves and she is credited with introducing Miles to the Work of Hendrix and Sly which gives her extra cool points and clarifies that this music should be seen as park of the pioneering first wave of rock funk and not some generic also ran.

If you like hardcore funk form the 70's you will enjoy most of this album and find the background to it interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars i've said it before and i'll say it again..., 1 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: They Say I'm Different (Audio CD)
this lady is THE BUSINESS. nobody has heard of her, and that's a crime. if telling you that she was married to miles davis will make you buy this cd, then that's what i'll do to make you buy it. oh, i just did. and guess what? you're about to buy this cd...

They Say I'm Different
They Say I'm Different by Betty Davis (Audio CD - 2003)