Format: DVD|Change

on 6 March 2012
This is a quality BluRay transfer, with beautiful color and clean sound. It's region free, so it will play here in North America, where the movie is not available on BR.

I enjoy Blues Brothers 2000 as much as BB, and consider them a 2 movie set.

The plot is a simple vehicle to take you from the world of reality into the world of the music. Everything is a continuation of the first movie, with similar humour, action, and choreography. The characters are as entertaining as anything in the first movie, as are Ghost Riders and the New Orleans set and songs. In fact, New Orleans is my favorite out of both movies.

A police chase might seem like a peculiar way to present blues music. But the mind works in mysterious ways, and as an allegory, we have the world of order and obligations chasing you and I, while we search for the music in our life. I liked the line "I see it now...the police are here to protect the artists".

Many Blues artists were unable to make it for the filming of the first movie, and wanted to be remembered as part of the blues revival it created. This explains the cameo appearances in the New Orleans sequence. Wonderful cameos. The producers went to special efforts to include as many blues artists as possible, as a tribute and a permanent record. This is explained in the supplemental material on the DVD, which Universal sadly did not include on the BluRay. This is a real loss, since the story behind the second film is well worth watching. So I've kept my DVD, and can only give the BR 4 stars. The BR has no supplements at all. Universal, please fix this omission.

This is a wonderful 2:05 hours of entertainment. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
on 26 February 2013
There's a lot of bad reviews out there for this film, but it's not as bad as those reviews are making out. Basically, it's got the same plot as the original, albeit updated, but that said, that was a thin plot too. Like the original, the soundtrack is probably more important than the story. There's quite a few cameo appearances, from some of the music greats.
John Goodman steps into John Landis's shoes as Elwood's singer, and pulls it off admirably. This time, they are also joined by Buster, a 10 year old, brilliantly played by J. Evan Bonifant allegedly 'kidnapped' by Elwood.
The last 40 minutes is pure farcical, but after all, this is a comedy film.

Watch it for the music, and the entertainment that it is, and you'll enjoy it.

Picture quality on this Blu Ray is spot on. The colour is vibrant, and the image is pin sharp. The sound, as you would expect is presented in 5.1. If you have a good sound system, play it loud, (when the neighbours are out) and you will not be disappointed. Finally the film is presented in it's original aspect ratio of, 1.85:1.
on 10 February 2013
As a stand alone film, it is god awful. But if you take the film the way I expect it was supposed to be taken, that is, as a tribute to all those actors and musicians who had passed at the time of the films making and a remarkable collection of R&B covers then the film is excellent.
on 23 March 2013
I thought I'd seen it all with the police car crash in Blues Brothers No. 1 . . . but the one in this film manages to beat it by a fair bit !!! Quite amazing . . . and almost worth watching just because of that ! The story, the humour and the ideas in this sequel aren't as good as in the first BB film, it's true ; but the music is always excellent and I enjoyed it, I have to say.
on 1 October 2014
I like the 1st Blues Brothers, but this one is a CLASSIC. We laughed so much & could not believe how utterly stylish it is, with great panache. The MUSIC is a joy. Pretty much Areatha steals it though !
on 18 December 2014
Worth getting for the last 20 minutes where the Music Legends gather to jam. From Eric Clapton & BB King to the late Grover Washington there are so many greats on the stage you have to watch.
on 2 August 2014
Bought this DVD because I had purchased one before but can't find it..the reason I purchased it again was because my daughter enjoys it..promt delivery and also a good copy.
on 21 March 2014
I know that's more a batman link, but after reading some of the bad reviews for this film it was the first thing that came to mind.

Having previously bought the DVD containing both films, lending it to someone who then left the company - I have been on the hunt for its replacement.

Like a lot of people; I never saw the sequel at the cinema (purposely avoided it in fact!), due to it staring. But when I finally got around to watching it on the small screen I enjoyed it immensely and would welcome a third!

If it wasn't for those dreadful films like home alone, I would of been one of those cinema goers that did go and see it, had a good time and left smiling, with some great music plying in my head all the way home! In fact I'm smiling now, as I write this review!

So; let's put the two things in peoples minds to bed about the sequel:

1: the kid is cool!
Forget all that have gone in the past, the 80's and 90's where full of bad films staring kids (apart from Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun). This my put people off from buying this film, but don't let it! He holds his own along side all the big names in this film.

2: People marking it down for being a copy of the original.
It is meant to be! that in itself is a JOKE! Like in the original, during "think" - you never see the saxophonist's head. It brings back all the quirky characters from the first and puts them in similar situations - just like a sit-com, or comedy show would do. I don't seen no harm in that because its a comedy, therefore don't take it so literally - they are referred to as running jokes!

This is good fun, with the emphases on fun. Get the blur ray if you can find one with all the extras. If not buy the DVD version that does. Both films are great fun, designed to make you laugh, sing and dance :-)
on 20 February 2014
just redisciverd blue brothers muscic again after watching there 2000 film,only one down side c d was not cellphane wrapped
on 9 December 2013
fit for purpose great product, excellent service, thank you, I will shop again and add to my favourites list Great