5.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh
Published on 17 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Do sequels work?
This is a good movie. However, it lacks some of the qualities which made 'In the heat of the night' a great film. There is little of the tension which, in the earlier film made the Quincy Jones score so appropriate. There is, too, no Rod Steiger and no Ray Charles.

Would I still buy it? Oh yes!
Published 17 months ago by Trevor Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh, 17 Feb 2011
Bought this DVD in my bargain classics acquisitions. I haven't watched this film since my teens and was nervous that it would fall below my expectations. Wrong! It is as fresh as the day it reached the big screen,atmospheric,punchy and fascinatingly reminded me of the recent excellent The Wire. Watched it on a saturday afternoon in January having sneaked away fromthe usual drudge of family chores and gradually daughter,husband and sons joined me silently catching up with the plot. Hilariously I didn't get the usual inquisition from youngers : TV or DVD? Who's he? What's happening? Why did he do that? I love everything about this film. I am not an expert on all the political opinions on Sidney Poitier 's Cinema career and don't want to be . I have recently watched To Sir With Love again and now in a totally different genre They Call Me Mr Tibbs! I can only say that he seemed to enjoy himself choosing excellent roles and screenplays.

5.0 out of 5 stars foul owl on the prowl, 23 Aug 2010
definitely in my top 20 films ever.superb acting,dealing with a delicate subject(racism)among other things.I cannot think of a single actor in this masterpiece who is not on top form.EXCELLENT.

4.0 out of 5 stars remembering Sidney Poitier, 12 Dec 2011
Leroy Weaver - See all my reviews
I had never seen "They call me mister tibbs"..I had always favoured "In the heat of the night"..
But I found it a good film. worth adding to your collection if you are a poitier fan.Not up to "in the heat of the night" in my view..But worth a look just the same...

5.0 out of 5 stars My expectations of a good DVD, 22 Oct 2013
Excellent film. Good quality DVD.

Very enjoyable & worthy the time.

I will recommend this to my friends and associates.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the previous Mister Tibbs film., 26 April 2013
Even though you have the same actor playing the part of Mister Tibbs, it is not a patch on "In the Heat of the Night".

4.0 out of 5 stars Has to be seen in the context of the times, 30 Mar 2013
I sort of enjoyed this film - I didn't NOT enjoy it. After "In the heat of the night", it's interesting to see Mr Tibbs in his usual working environment. He is respected, well-liked, has a lot of white guys under his command, is a touch maverick in his approach to crime-solving.
There is the contemporary equivalent of a car-chase - ie a foot-chase - where he chases a suspect for what seems like miles over a long urban lanscape and quite a few film minutes - it went on so long it made me laugh.
At home he has a wife who is neither black nor white, very beautiful, and two children, one a son with whom he has very weird conversations about growing up, women (as in mother and little sister) and morality and a man's lot in life.
All the result of the curious relationship Hollywood had at the time with a successful (and gorgeous) black actor in a starring role. Hollywood was obviously not comfortable with this state of affairs at all and it makes for a strange and interesting, a little disturbing film on that level.
Jazzy, B-movie type music, a step removed from the earthy Ray Charles blues of "In the heat of the night".
I'm glad I've seen it and can appreciate in the context of how things were for black people who weren't Mr Tibbs at the time it was made and Hollywood squirming somewhat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Mar 2013
I found this film brilliant from start to finish. The beginning was captivating and intriguing, then surprising, quite funny in parts, there was some action which was gripping then an interesting ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars they Call me Mister Tibbs, 1 Jan 2013
Disappointed with the production. from what I can remember of the original film, it seemed to have more impact, although Sidney Poitier always brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do sequels work?, 29 Oct 2012
Trevor Taylor "Trevor" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews

Would I still buy it? Oh yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars They call me Mr Tibbs, 1 Jun 2012
This is the follow on from In the heat of the night. Sidney Poitier is excellent in this film and the family relationship between himself and his son gives the film a very down to earth feeling. Thoroughly enjoyed but not as much as I enjoyed In the heat of the night.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)