5.0 out of 5 stars The Frames' flawless masterwork
The Frames - for those of you unlucky enough not to have been initiated into their unique brand of music - are an irish band, fronted by Glen Hansard of 'the Commitments' fame. Despite this, their music seems to have been ignored by most people outside of Ireland, which is a shame, especially when they can make albums like this one.
It might be easy to dismiss 'Dance...
Published on 18 Jun 2003 by dave

3.0 out of 5 stars ...and from the other side of the table...
Published on 24 July 2006 by Louise Stephens

5.0 out of 5 stars The Frames' flawless masterwork, 18 Jun 2003
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
It might be easy to dismiss 'Dance the Devil...' at first listen. After all, what on this album hasn't been done before? There's the stadium-rock of U2, acoustic ballads, reflections on life without money, and so on. But insidiusly and effortlessly you'll find the simple variety of music on offer, and the earnestness with which it is sung and played, will cause it to creep inside your head and stay there forever.
The album opens with 'Perfect Opening Line', and to be corny, the track does live up to its name, starting with a soft guitar strum and barely spoken words and building into a rocking chorus. 'Seven day mile' is a little quieter, a fairly simple tune that bubbles along to leave you feeling better at the end. 'Pavement tune', produced by a certain Trevor Horn, quite simply rocks in the best possible way. 'Plateau' is a simpler song again, illustrated by some excellent violin work. 'Star Star**' is almost acoustic, stealing elements from the kid's song without ever delving into the realms of twee. 'The stars are underground' manages to reflect the previous song whilst using bass and guitars to create an off-kilter feel. 'God Bless Mom' is rocky again, and I prefer this version (apparently disowned by the band) to the current arrangement they play live. 'Rent day blues' is an excellent track telling the story of, uh, blues when the rent is due. 'Hollocaine' has a weird tone, using stabs of distorted guitar through the chorus. 'neath the beaches' is fully acoustic, a little love song before the end. The final title track combines a host of styles and even samples 'charlie and the chocolate factory' in the middle to build up to an orgasmic finale.
I imagine you're not convinced by all this. But it's the lyrics, and Glen's passionate singing, that hold the disparate styles together and give it a cohesiveness that makes the album truly special. Give them a try, and maybe soon they'll have the support that they so richly deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, Please, Please give us the next album!, 25 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
Fitzcarraldo was a brilliant raw emotional rollercoaster which took so me high and low that listening to it was a physically draining experience. Although Dance the Devil has little of the first album's emotional intensity, the result is a much more mature, polished sound (without sounding over-produced). Once again the frames have produced one of those albums which you will never need to use the skip track button to enjoy. This is a giveaway at twice the price! NB.. I recently saw this lot live and they blew me away..not only were they musically brilliant, but the performed with humour and real intensity. They are also a really nice group of guys, who deserve all the success they can get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to fall in love with!!!, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
I first heard this album when I was lucky enough to catch Glen comparing a show on RTE in 2003.

I just fell in love with 'Star Star'.

Since then I have seen the group live 5 times in Belfast and will hopefully see them a lot more.

This is their definitive album and the one I always harken back to.

The other reviews say it all in respect to the songs, just buy and listen. It is pure magic.

In my mind this album is up there with 'Hats' by The Blue Nile. A timeless classic you will go back to again and again.

Glen get yout finger out and release another 'Frames' Album ik has been too long!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanna be Irish, 21 Jan 2006
S. Simmons "record_righter" (Oxon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
Let me first ask a couple of questions - do you like Damien Rice? Yes? Well you'll have been a little frustrated then that there's precious little else like him around or from him. Apart from the Frames that is. Secondly, when was the last time you bought an album that you found yourself singing along to the second song of an album,on the first time that you heard it, at the top of your voice, or shouted 'yes!!' to a lyric??
Its been a while since the last review on this album and time has set it in context. Always destined to be Ireland's second best band?? This album simply makes you want to be Irish. Its a magnificently engaging intimate but uplifting effort that draws you in, in turns euphoric, then melancholic and then hard rocking. But this is not posturing stadium rock a la latter day U2, but the very essence of small to medium venue alt/country Irish rock, updated and delivered with real bite and passion. This album whispers and shouts to you. It sounds fresher now than 5 years ago.
Who should buy this? Anyone who thinks Gary Lightbody can do no wrong, fans of Damien Rice/Juniper/Bell X1 (who? you better go find out - see Flock!) I'd been downloading every Frames track I could find off Kazaa since the moment I found them till I worked out the best 3 albums then bought all 3 together. When was the last time you bought 3 albums by one band? My advice? Don't blag it, don't download it BUY THIS ALBUM with confidence. 5 stars means 'I will always treasure this album and remember what I was doing when I bought it'. This IS a 5 star album. Highlights abound- 'star star' because I have a live cover by Damien Rice of U2's Still Haven't found..in which he breaks into the Frames' star star half way through, pavement tune because they wrote it about me, hollocaine, stars are underground, perfect opening line, dance the devil..all stand on their own merits as great tracks. This album is the antidote to the 'new miserablist' movement of detached Coldplay/Doves clone bands and will remind you of how great music really sounds. If they are live this year I have to see them. Did I mention my mother's maiden name was O'Flanagan?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondertastic..., 16 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
The frames have produced a wonderful album here. Straying not from their rock roots they have also produced some mellow classics such as Seven Day Mile, a song about their relationship with their drummer who was unsure about the bands direction. As a recently converted fan I urge, dispell every mith you have heard, and start afresh with this amazing peice of Irish recording from one of the best of the best in Ireland.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Frames album, 17 May 2013
R. Fuksis - See all my reviews
Ordered this because of the song Seven Day Mile. Turns out that most of the album is great, however, some songs are a little similar. I think I will order also a 2007 album "The Cost"

3.0 out of 5 stars ...and from the other side of the table..., 24 July 2006
Louise Stephens "persephone102" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
The Frames have this weird thing for me, and indeed a lot of people who know them. They tend to be one of those bands you either really, really love (to an obsessive degree) or that leave you going... what's all the fuss about? And I'm going to go right ahead and contradict myself by saying I have a totally mixed opinion of them. After moving to Ireland and seeing the fervour with which they were adored and despised, my boyfriend and I decided to go and see them live and see if we could make head or tail of what they were about. Before this, we listened to all their albums.

Without a doubt, I think "For the Birds" is their best album. All of the rest are pretty wishy-washy in my opinion. I certainly don't want to be down on reviewers that felt their albums were "emotionally draining" or like rollercoasters - that's their own experience. But I do think The Frames have gained a huge following in Ireland largely without being outstanding musical artists. I didn't find anything hugely original in any of their music - which is not to say some of it isn't likeable. But beware of the folk who say their albums will change your life, make your world a different place... "For The Birds" and this album make a welcome addition to my CD collection, but they haven't rocked my world. The god-like worship they received when playing live also left me a bit cold.

THAT SAID! Yes, more contridiction. This album has some cracking tunes on it. "Rent Day Blues" is one of my favourite songs ever (possibly because it contains a sample of "Celebrate" by Kool and the Gang). The rest of the album is solid and accomplished and so I'd say definitely give it a bash - and give it several listens before you make up your mind (I've had it 2 years now and I spin it every so often still). But don't come to it with huge and high expectations because you may just end up disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible service from amazon, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
Having bought many products through Amazon with an almost perfect service I was massively disappointed when my new cd case turned up covered in scratches and cracked with bits of plastic floating about the disc itself. The product looked liked it was somebody else's return or fifth hand, its certainly not a postal issue but an issue with Amazon's dispatch department.

On the other hand the album music is stunning and looking forward to ordering other 'Frames' albums, just not through Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 7 Mar 2011
I only recently discouvered The Frames after watching the film 'Once' and can't believe they are unheard of in the UK - definitely our loss! Absolutely love this album. A great mix of tracks and a definitely noticable maturity in Glen Hansard's song-writing. If you like Springsteen then you'll like The Frames.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Obsessed!!, 13 Dec 2011
LOVE LOVE LOVE this - heard them on Dermot O'Leary's radio show a while back and have been addicted since. Go on, give it a whirl!

Dance the Devil [CASSETTE]
Dance the Devil [CASSETTE] by Frames (Audio Cassette - 1999)