5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Rather Good!
Well I have to say that when I bought this video I was somewhat sceptical as to whether it would actually be much use. Personally, I am not that fond of the use of videos as teaching tools as I much prefer a book which allows to you quickly and easily dip into, to find the relevant information you need without having to rewind acres of videotape.
However... having...
Published on 11 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners only
Barbara Currie videos are very good for beginners. She explains the moves thoroughly and simply however the tapes rushes through the poses much too quickly. I pause the video after each exercise as you should allow yourself proper breathing time and at least 5 seconds per stretch - the video goes through everything much too quickly which is a bit distracting. This video...
Published on 20 Feb 2003 by peanutlili

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Rather Good!, 11 Nov 2001
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
However... having had other fitness videos in the past, including Lynne Robinson's Pilates workout, and, more recently Geri's Yoga video, I have to say that I was genuinely impressed with this tape and I liked it immensely.
Unlike Geri's nice but more talk-and-not-a-lot-of-action yoga video, this tape is jam packed with exercises!! Barbara Currie genuinely seems to care and although you will be fed up (or at least laughing at!) her references to "DON'T STRAIN!!!" by the end of the tape, it really is a good tape, which covers a comprehensive set of exercises from beginner to more advanced. She is always advising to follow the girl doing the easier version of each exercise if you do not feel confident in attempting the full manoeuvre!
The tape is divided into 4 sections, each of which is good, especially the last two, 35 Minute Power Toning, and 20 Minute Power Stretching.
At the end of the tape I felt good. It was colourful, it was fun and what's more I want to do it again today! (unlike my other videos which get shelved after only one viewing!)
If you are new to yoga, I would recommend you to buy this video, along with a good quality yoga book, such as The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga, or Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness, both of which are easy to understand for the novice.
I think more advanced students would also find this video enjoyable, as you can 'show-off' and demonstrate all the advanced moves alongside Barbara and co. Plus, having at least one good video is a bonus, because you can actually see the only thing that books cannot really provide, and that is a live demonstration of each exercise where you can watch the whole sequence all the way through... it is easy to copy and remember what they are doing on the screen, whereas some books may only have a beginning and end pose picture.
Overall, I think that this video is a bonus to Yoga, and should be snapped up as a value for money bargain, as there seems to be an increasing amount of poor quality material being churned out in the field of fitness at the moment.
This video will shine through.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than i remember on video!, 4 Nov 2009
if you didnt already know, this dvd is a copy of the video barbara currie did nearly ten years ago
for an all round yoga dvd, i really think this is the best - it was the first every yoga dvd i bought in my teens, and i havent managed to find one since that is as good
yoga is fantastic for relaxation, back pain, sleep issues, it really is the best (i hate to say exercise programme, but it kind of is) exercise programme
i cant recommend this enough, and it will always be the exercise dvd i go back to time and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yoga video I have seen, 4 Feb 2002
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This video is brilliant. I have dabbled with Yoga in the past but since buying this tape, I have started doing at least 10-20 mins of Yoga every day. In fact I look forward to it and really miss it if I dont have time. Because the video is split in small sections you can do as little as 10 mins or upto an hour depending on how much time you have. I know I have failed to keep up exercise regimes in the past because they have required at least an hour, and lets face it how many people who are juggling homes, jobs and kids can give that much uninterrupted time? Each day I just do as much as is feasible. I get up slightlier early and my kids often do it with me! After a week I started to notice the difference in my body and my sex life has gone through the roof ( my hubby cant believe how flexible I've become!) Barbara is an inspiration to all women. She is very brusque if her approach but is so sincere and motivating. I warmed to her immediately. She is a real woman unlike Geri Halliwell. Barbara certainly is a fantastic advert for the benefits of Yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, Inspiring and Motivational, 26 Jun 2001
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
1]You do not feel deflated if you try a position and can barely do it, because Barbara Currie is very realistic and motivational - so you don't feel like giving up! 2]Whilst making you feel good about what you're doing during the workout, she uses good visualisation techniques, which destress you. 3]You are filled with confidence that you will become flexible with practise - that you really will make a difference to your body 4]The video is very relaxing, so you get a great workout and feel energised, without necessarily feeling exhausted - unlike with other excercise forms 5]The different workouts are great for time management and focusing on different bodily areas. 6]You are informed of what you are improving through different excercises
I would definitely recommend this video to anyone, especially beginners, who have never tried yoga, such as myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS, 16 Nov 2001
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Firstly I have never written a review, phoned into a radio show or written to a newspaper, and I had never practiced Yoga. I was fatigued and suffering from back trouble. I read the review for this video and decided to buy it.
After using it for only three days I was starting to feel an energy that was invigorating. At work I am much more productive, in the evenings I am not just fit for the armchair. And in the bedroom !!!!!
Other videos may work, I don't know this is the first one I tried and it worked. Buy it and use it and you will see a new person. I have now used it a month. The reason I'm back on this page is to buy ten copies for my friends; I believe it is the best present I can give to them this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy to follow, for all levels, very good, 26 Feb 2002
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first Bought Barbara Curries 'Seven Secrets' video and was so impressed that i wanted even more variety. Never have i found a form of exercise that i actual don't get bored of, this is it for me. I have only been doing it a short while but things are firming (which has never happened - i feel like one of those stubborn bodies!) and my mood has lifted tremendously and i sleep better. I enjoyed both videos, both have different moves and it's great to take them in turn. I hope that others who feel exercise does nothing for them find this as enjoyable as i do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy 10 mins each morning, 13 Feb 2011
I am naturally lazy when it comes to any sort of exercise, but this just isn't exercise to me it's a really easy and good luxurious stretch each morning. I like the gentle pace but each move is so effective and I really feel my muscles working.
I can do as little as 10 minutes (or more if I have time) and still feel the benefits for my weak back muscles. I am amazed at how fast I got more flexible.

On those rare occasions that I do vigorous exercise (other dvds, swimming, cycling, aerobics etc) I also use this as a very effective warm-up and cool down.

Highly reccommend this to anyone and everyone of all ages and abilities, and I suspect it may even be beneficial for recovering from injuries as a supplement to physio - throughout the dvd the stress is put on only going as far as you can without strain, that's the golden rule.

I have many exercise and yoga dvds but I always keep going back to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga is for anyone........, 9 Nov 2002
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
What can I say- I had bought 5 yoga videos before I hit the jackpot with this one. Once you get over the annnoying and repetitive phrase "yoga is progressive, yoga will get you there". You will find yourself with a flexible body within 2 weeks.
The video is split into 7 ten minute slots- as a busy professional that is ideal. This video is for anyone, young, old, and for people who are physically restricted.(Tried and tested by most of my family) It does what it says on the label and encourages you to take it at your own pace.
Buy this video if you are serious about taking up yoga- its a good investment and will be the only video you need!

4.0 out of 5 stars understandable, informative and do-able!, 10 Jan 2002
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Having done numerous yoga videos and being fed up of the 'hippy approach' or it all being a joke, this one was refreshing. Barbara Currie is an excellent teacher. As an ex-nurse, she explains what positions are suitable for what. She's very informative and, at 60, is living proof yoga works. A very enjoyable video which makes me feel I have acheived something each time I do it. Yoga does work, Ms Currie is right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Save money on yoga lessons...., 7 Oct 2009
M. Kiwelu - See all my reviews
I really like Barbara's DVD. I had it in video format and just 'upgraded' to DVD. I had however expected it to be a newer version as it's been several years since the video was released.
Once you get used to the program, you may want to increase the number of your own repeat movements because it can start to seem a bit slow. The DVD runs for over an hour but is divided into smaller sections so you can do as little as 20 minutes at a time. I've also been to yoga classes run by different instructers and found that I'd learnt the fundamentals from this video so I think the coverage is pretty good.

Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS]
Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] by Barbara Currie (VHS Tape - 2000)
8.99