Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Shop now Listen in Prime

Format: Audio CD|Change

I have had to work at appreciating Shostakovich and have over the years been gradually working my way into some of his more approachable music via the usual route of "The Gadfly", the Piano Concertos and the more digestible symphonies, starting with the First and moving on to the Tenth and the Fifth here.

I am still a novice and regard myself as no kind of authority on Shostakovich, nor can I do as I normally like to and provide a comparative element in this review but if, like me, you want to find a way into his idiom, this is the disc for you. It is available in a bewildering variety of incarnations, on the RPO's own Tring label and on various issues from Membran, including the first disc in the "Quadromania" series, plus others.

I do know that I have now discovered a dozen really first class recordings on that Tring label and have learned to trust it as a vehicle for first class music-making by one of London's three or four great orchestras.

In many ways, its provenance is unlikely: I had never thought of Mackerras as an advocate of Shostakovich or even an especially great conductor but he comes up trumps here. The sound is uniformly superb in this digital series and allows us to here the crispness precision and sonority of the orchestra. Curtain up is a rumbustious performance of the exuberant Festival Overture, but it’s the symphony which is really impressive, its savage wit, galumphing faux-naif rusticity, deep melancholy and barbaric splendour all being expertly elucidated.

This is a disc to convert the curious neophyte to a sometimes inaccessible composer.
on 8 February 2015
This Audio CD Hybrid series contains some excellent recordings by the RPO which they did in the mid nineties with the late great Charles Mackerras.On first is Shostakovich's dramatic Festive overture well played indeed, especially by the wind and brass section.
Continuing the high standard into the Fifth symphony the RPO's rich string playing is much in evidence in the opening Moderato. Some critics think the Moderato to be the high point of the symphony itself.For me, it's always the Allegro non troppo and Mackerras and the RPO certainly do a fine attempt.I have to say that I prefer the ending of the fourth movement done faster,[eg.LSO,CSO,Previn or NYPO,Bernstein]but you can't have everything.
on 22 October 2010
Shostakovich has always been one of my favourite composers, and the Festive overture is no exception. Always moving along with great rapidity and exitement, it is a shining example of his work. The end of the piece especially, always stirs great excitement in me!!