5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Christmas music!
This is a brilliant CD which will appeal to any fans of well-sung Christmas music, and will hold particular joy for any fans of the hit TV show Ally McBeal, as quite a few key cast members feature on it.
Published on 22 Mar. 2006 by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars bit disappointing
I love ally mcbeal and vonda sheppard's songs but this was a bit disappointing and boring. Santa Baby was only really decent track.
Published 19 months ago by helenmaria

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Christmas music!, 22 Mar. 2006
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
Much like the TV show, this album has both happy, upbeat moments, and also more thoughtful, emotional parts. It has a song for any mood and yet still fits together well.
The CD is held together by the excellent voice of Vonda Shepard, the soul singer who twists and turns her way through 6 of the classic songs on here. Her voice is beautiful and relaxing and she particularly shines on the slow numbers such as 'What Are You Doing For New Year's Eve?'.
Also featured are Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal) who gives a very sweet and gently sexy rendition of 'Santa Baby'. She doesn't have the best voice in the world but she pulls this off quite nicely. The excellent Jane Krakowski (who plays Elaine) sings a fantasticly funky jazz version of 'Run Run Rudolph', and a cheerful rendition of the song 'I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus'. Lisa Nicole Carson (who plays Renee) also chips in with 'Santa Claus Got Stuck In My Chimney' - she's a fantastic singer but this song is slightly irritating and possibly the weakest link on the album.
The real standout cast member, though, is Robert Downey Jr (who played Larry Paul), who puts his stunningly deep, rich, soulful voice to good use on the heartbreaking 'River', and on a duet with Vonda of 'White Christmas'.
There is also a cool throaty version of 'Winter Wonderland' by Macy Gray, and the gorgeous rock ballad 'Please Come Home for Christmas' by Jon Bon Jovi, who appeared as a guest star on the show. This song will strike a chord with anyone who's ever been alone over the holidays and regretted losing someone they loved.
All in all it's a CD that's definitely worth buying, with some lovely Christmassy songs that'll keep you smiling all over the holiday season, and enough variety and talent to ensure that you'll be sad to put it away come January.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sorted album, ideal for the classic Retro-style Crimbo!, 30 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
I first got into the Blues and Motown genres through my Dad who loves them. I was initially sceptical when he encouraged me to listen to them, though soon found myself enjoying them along with all the usual styles your average teenager enjoys. Upon watching an episode of Ally McBeal -on which the CD is based- I was particularly impressed with the tone of Vonda Shepard's voice and liked the light blues and other styles she included in her repertoire. Whilst not normally the type of CD I would find myself buying, after receiving it as a Christmas present and listening to it a few times, I couldn't stop. All the songs, some of which I'd never even heard of before, were really great. They not only had Vonda Shepard singing with her usual excellence, they also included actors and actresses from the show doing numbers as well. Especially noteworthy was Lisa Nicole Carson's rendition of "Santa Claus got stuck in my chimney," which I found a real treat on the ear as her tone changes from mellow and warm at the beginning, to powerful and stirring as the song nears the end.
Overall, it combines toe-tapping Xmas tunes, with softer songs of the Christmas season to create a real festive feel. Anyone who wants to incorporate a little bit of classic American cheese into their Christmas should look no further -a truly enjoyable album.
Written by Dominic Costa

5.0 out of 5 stars Best X-mas music ever!, 10 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
This is definitely a great CD! Vonda has a great voice! This CD is so great because it's also featuring Lisa Nicole Carson, Jane Krakowski, Robert Downey Jr. and Calista Flockhart. My favorite songs are: River, Santa Baby, Santa Clays got stuck in my chimney and The Man with the bag. This CD is great. Too bad you can't listen to it all year long... well, you CAN, but the songs are the best when you listen to them on a cold long winter night.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 1 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
As a HUGE fan of Ally McBeal and not such a huge fan of tacky Christmas CD's I wasn't sure what to think of this. I got it as a present and as soon as I listened to the first song, I knew that I loved it.
It has everything you would ever want and expect from Vonda Shepard and even more from the cast of Ally McBeal and the astounding Robert Downy Jr. They're all amazing singers!! I have a few favourites on the CD - "The Man With The Bag", "Santa Baby", "River" and "What Are You Doing New Years Eve?".
I don't think Christmas will ever be the same without this CD by my side now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent CD, 28 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
Right from the very beginning with 'This Christmas', Vonda and the gang set a clear aim for this album - Christmas all the way!! The classic ones such as 'Santa Baby' and 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' (my personal fave) are given a modern twist with the wonderful jazz accompanying the lyrics. A truly magical CD, making Ally fans remember classic episodes to the normal buyer feeling all Christmassy.
Definitely reccomended!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you handle it?, 23 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
Wow,oh wow!!!,A definate must for all Ally fans, and fans of Vonda.What a cool way to get you into the spirit of christmas,a fun mixture of songs from Vonda and some of the cast.Vonda and New Cast member Robert (did'nt know he could sing)jr. Up beats from jane Krakowski, Calista and even one fom Lisa Nicole Carson, makes this the ultimate Christmas gift,for any ally fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Amazon!!!, 17 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
I am from the states spending my first Christmas overseas in Scotland. I love Edinburgh and the festive feel here, but missed my favorite Christmas CD- Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas! I tried finding it in various large music stores to no avail. Then... tried Amazon and found it! The CD was shipped within 2 days and I was listening to it as the tree was trimmed! A fantastic, festive, hip CD. Who knew Robert Downey and Calista Flockhart could sing-- and so well... and of course with Vonda who could go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Christmas album!, 12 Dec. 2007
A. Steffe "haraniya" (Derby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
I love Christmas music, from Home Alone to The Snowman and this CD with songs from and inspired by Ally McBeal's Christmas episodes is definitely a favourite! It contains brilliant vocals from all performers (from Ally to Larry to guests such as Macy Gray) and has some gorgeous arrangements. Whenever 'Run, Run, Rudolph' starts up I have to jump up and dance! It's addictive. I love Jane Krakowski's voice and she shines on her tracks. There's a good mixture of fast and slow, and can create a good atmosphere either for a cosy Christmas night or a lively party.
The stand-out track for me though is Robert Downey Jr's version of Joni Mitchell's 'River'. It's just perfect. Robert's gruff vocals make it so moving and soulful.....I have a hard time getting it off repeat.
Most of my Christmas albums I only drag out come winter, but I listen to this all year round. One of my best buys. An essential for any Ally fan or a lover of excellent Christmas music (and who really can't handle another round of Wizzard).
Buy it and have a very Ally Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
I bought this CD in America the other week and I think it's coming out over here in the next few days. It's great, buy it. Even if your not an ally fan you'll ike it, but of course it'll be extra special to ally fans. I love Robert Downey jr he rocks, he has the nicest voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best Christmas Album Ever!!, 24 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Vonda Sheperd & this album has quite simply got to be the best yet. I'ts full of all the Christmas cheer you could wish for, with that unmistakable Ally McBeal charm from the TV series.

Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas
Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas by Vonda Shepard (Audio CD - 2000)