TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2006
I have seen many productions of the Magic Flute (ranging from live performances to opera DVDs and Ingmar Bergman's film classic). To me this Levine conducted version is a good solid example of a reliable performance with well-judged tempi and good quality DVD sound and vision production. All singers are excellent and Kathleen Battle is particularly superb as Pamina.
on 31 July 2010
I bought this DVD as a present. I have owned this production on DVD for some time and I still think that it is the best all round production ever of The Magic Flute.

From the artistic imagination of Hockney, the music flair of Levine, to the absolute best Queen of the Night I can wholeheartledly recommend this DVD.

Jan Jones
on 24 July 2008
AMAZING. The SETS: excellent - schematic, evocative and inventive - you actually SEE Tamino and Pamina going through fire and water, for example. The CAST: extraordinary - a really funny Papageno, a wonderful Pamina (Kathleen Battle is utterly credible - which is saying a lot for a fantasy - I'd die for her at the drop of a hat!!!) and as for Kurt Moll, WOW! His is the first performance I've ever seen that squares with Bernard Shaw's opinion that if God listened to music, Sarastro's music is the music he'd listen to!!!! James Levine's conducting is superb, and his friendly, understated style just brings everything home. BUY THIS, and bless me for my advice!!!
on 9 June 2013
Orchestra, production and most of the singing excellent. but I deducted one point from the rating because of the tenor whose dry voice, particuarly at the top grated - Oh for a Fritz Wunderlich!.
on 15 January 2013
The singing and orchestra were great, bu the staging and lighting were too dark, which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.
on 21 October 2015
Purchased for Battle and Hockney - both came up to scratch. Enjoyed the whole production. Good voices, certainly all up to the Met standard.
Only problem I was not able to access the subtitles .
on 21 April 2013
I am not an expert on operas but do like to watch them. This is brilliant, excellent music and very entertaining. My father in law said it was the best version he has ever seen. Highly recommend it.
on 3 June 2016
A very good performance of Mozart's last opera - as we expect from The Metropolitan Opera.
on 28 February 2016
Must say this production was different in may ways. The singing was out standing.
on 24 November 2014
I had sampled it on you tube - so knew it is sublime