5.0 out of 5 stars My view of their Tower, 23 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The View From This Tower (Audio CD)
Faraquet, consisting of only 3 band members use myriad instruments, and to their credit sound like a jazz-rock band on a hallucinatory drug. The multi-talented (the guitarist previously drummed in Smart Went Crazy) band members have managed to create a record both beautiful and and highly unconventional by modern rock standards (though it was released in 2000).
My favourite track on the Album is The Sea Song, based around a beguiling guitar part that never quite goes so far that it could be considered fret-"...self pleasure", but kept me interested all the way through.
Other stand-out tracks inlcude Fourth Introduction which mantains the the same kind of looping guitar, and Cut Self Not which has a more dischordant, almost post-hardcore feel to it.
Ultimately I think I like this album so much because of its unconventional sounds, it offers something a little different but pulls it off with quite some panache.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Dischord release. Who cares?, 2 July 2003
This review is from: The View From This Tower (Audio CD)
I care. View From This Tower is the only full album Faraquet released before they lept back into day-job-dom. And it's ridiculously fantastic. I'll tell you how I got hold of it.
I went to Portsmouth to see my friend Adrian recently. We did the whole skint second-hand music thing. ( Perusing big halls full of CD-R's with Epson Stylus quality sleeves, being sold by serious looking men with beards.) Although it is great to smell the rain of a music fare in a town you don't know . Anyway, after a particular downfall, I stumbled across a "20 years of Dischord 3cd boxset-type-thing" (not the official title, but a made up one, by me)Mmm... Dischord... Fugazi... something clicked.
After short musing(s), I decided it was within my power to PICK UP THE CD. Yes. For the first time at this dire record fare in this mediocre town, a stall holder, *shock horror*, was noticably friendly and started ranting about the history of Fugazi.
I'm NOT going to rant about the history of Fugazi. All a discerning listener should know is
a) Fugazi are regarded as having musical invention escaping from their orafaces at amazing rates
b) Ian McKay and band members alike are viewed as a major part of the DC hardcore scene since the mid-eighties. Respected in all the 'right' rock/grunge places for being a major asset to the alternative, seemingly progressive punk/rock/hardcore/grunge/badger innovator scene.
c) The '20 years of Dischord' triple CD includes many fantastic artists amd songs.
So, where does this leave Faraquet ask you? Good question say me.
Have you ever listened to an album which challenges your own ideas and thoughts about being a musician. Of course you have. In certain circles, that's what it is ALL about. Faraquet should appeal to this shape of listener, if you get my drift.
Guitar playing which is both melodic and subtle, yet complex and prog rock. With no widdly widdly solos. I like that. I haven't paid much attention to the bass playing, but it is fantastically in tune. And drums, well, I'm sure we've all been in bands where the drummer has no concept of rhythm, cannot hit hard enough etc... let alone be able to play in 5/4. You know, the kind of drummers you have to count in 5's for them. Doh! Fortunately this drummer carries no 'angry alt-music-student' approach to his style. I would stomgly advise you listen to what he is doing to get the full picutre.
I bought this album after listening to the Discord CD. I hardly ever listen to the Dischord CD now. View From This Tower has 'repeat status' in my player now. Many don't.
It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. To the listener it might be like Earl Grey *yuk* - or cammomile *yuk yuk* or just normal tea *not yuk*. This album should be bought for the plain and simple fact that any well brewed tea should be drunk to find out.
(I wonder if we'll be seeing the phrase 'alt-student' soon? I quite like the phrase 'pretentious manchild' myself, although it's not a very PC way to describe this really is it? Mmm...)
Anyway, I'm going down Threshers now to do the weekly shop.

The View From This Tower
The View From This Tower by Faraquet (Audio CD - 2000)