Format: DVD|Change

on 13 July 2013
I havent seen this for a while, but a definite classic. Ignore the stars - they are excellent. But the atmosphere of being "stuck in the middle of nowhere" and the cruelty, along with the heat. Very enjoyable.
on 2 February 2012
I read a few reviews of this before buying it and people were saying that it was quite accurate to the book, but I have to disagree. Without giving too much away all I will say is that there has been a lot of pieces changed around, characters, places etc. There is also a lot of key points missing. I understand it would be impossible to fit it all into the DVD but in my opinion it could have been done better. By all means this is a good film, but if you have just finished reading the book you will probably be slightly disappointed.
on 13 November 2011
For anyone who has seen it then you will know how good this film is even though its old. Theres no high tech gadgetry, no special effects, no car chases or explosions that you get overloaded into todays films.

The acting is superb and faultless. The only reason i didnt give it 5 stars is that its in this awful anamorphic widescreen so you get massive black chunks at the top and bottom of screen. This spoils it for me as i would like to see it on the whole screen.
on 6 May 2012
I have never seen Steve McQueen in a poor entertaining film. PAPILLON is a true story and of course the paperback novel has more in it of a mans stuggle to get back to civilisation from Devil's Island.
Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman are brilliant in this film. It is so good a film that one would always come back to it over the years to play the DVD for pure enjoyment.
on 17 July 2015
I Only bought This Disc for The extra special features That are listed. I Do own The Digi book release of Papillon While in English The Disc is minus a couple of little features That we have here. you get an interview With papillon producer Robert Dorfmann who gives a rare insight into The making of The movie and its star Steve McQueen. We olso get a Documentary on The real life papillon Henri Charriere. This Documentary is all in French but you get That taken in with it you Don't really notice. The movie itself you can play it in English but you do get French subtitles Which Don't seem to want to budge. a Good Disc but you have gotta be a real big fan of This movie like I am to buy it.
on 20 October 2013
Always loved this film and saw it at the pictures way back in '73.
The picture quality is wonderful on blu ray and the soundtrack clear as a bell.
Recommended for anyone who thinks life is tough today.
on 29 December 2012
I started off thinking this might not be the movie for me but as it starred Steve McQueen I bought it. I then found this movie to be action packed, thrilling and at some points brought a tear to my eye. Simply an amazing film
on 5 October 2013
The DVD Papillon is a film that I have watched many times and one that I will continue to watch, over and over again, because it is so good that there is always something new to notice about the film, due to the excellence of the film. I would recommend it to anyone as an indication of what tenacity in fact is, in reality and what it involves in terms of the problems that go with being tenacious; in everyday affairs and life in general. Since the film has so much detail that It goes a long way towards explaining what tenacity is; in real life terms, despite this just being an escape storyline film.
on 31 October 2012
I've had this book for about 35 years and only just read it!! I enjoyed it so much i just had to get the film, which isn't always as good as the book. In this case though, the book was brought to life, and i loved it.
on 22 May 2013
One of my favourite films of all time. Just brilliant, a great story and brilliant acting. If you've never seen this film then please do. You will not be dissapointed