4.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than Just an Animation - A Pratchett Masterpiece!
Having enjoyed the book, and given the reputation for films etc., to miss out on many of the details I had my reservations about Wyrd Sisters. I need not have worried. The script is faithful to the book, and the characters are brough to life by the talets of June Whitfield, Christopher Lee etc.
Only one thing baffles me; Why do all the characters appear to have...
Published on 21 Nov 2004 by Joan H. Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars as usual the book is better!
Published on 10 May 2006 by donna s

4.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than Just an Animation - A Pratchett Masterpiece!, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
Only one thing baffles me; Why do all the characters appear to have West Country accents? Could it be that Discworld actually exists somewhere deep in the South-West of England?
Over to you Terry!
Anyway, for Pratchett fans, this will be a welcome addition to the collection. Perhaps we can look forward to animations of Mort, Equal Rites and Lords and Ladies?

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Witches not quite airborne, 12 Aug 2004
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
Let me say straight away that I was a little disappointed, but not as much as I expected to be. Afterall everyone has their own ideas about the discworld and I am sure that even the man himself would suggest that his view is only one and not the only view. My view tends to be jaundiced by the cover art of the sadly missed Josh Kirby, but he has been known to get carried away (Twoflower [Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic] the Librarian [sourcery] for example). I was particularly disappointed with Magrat, who didn't sem to fit the description in the book at all. Also Jane Horrocks fantastically fits the voice to the drawn character providing a consistent presentation, but to my mind Magrat doesn't speak as though she has a blocked nose and as though she has had all her brain cells destroyed by scumble. So why a 4* rating? The story presented on the dvd is funny, self consistent and bears a strong enough relation to the book to be interesting - it is not the book and I would hope that anyone who sees this first would be intrigued enough to read the book. Whilst an early discworld (number 6 in fact) I think that it is one of the best of the early ones. A star is also awarded for good presentation (nice case, cover art, extras etc). It's not the best ever, but it is pretty good for one dvd. As a note to any would be producers of TPs work, I think that the CGI type animation of films such as Shrek would suit much better - but that is just my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars as usual the book is better!, 10 May 2006
donna s (hereford, herefordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
wyrd sisters being one of my fav in the discworld series, i was curious to see its adaptation onto the screen. The laugh out loud humour present in the book does not translate well to the screen and does not do such a talented author justice. The voice of magrat just seemed to grate on me in manner of nails on a chalkboard, distracting me from the story, and the raucous nanny of ogg did not live up to her literary double. Although i watched it with someone who had not read the book, and they throughly enjoyed it! The animation seemed a bit crude, but i think im so protective of the books that anything would have let me down.Dont watch this with high hopes and you'll find a fair story of the lancre witches, and the fight to protect their kingdom in a macbeth-esque adventure, more for the younger audience than the adult fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a movie not the book !, 24 Feb 2004
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
When I first bought the DVD I was full of wondering if I was throwing my money away, Fear not dear reader I haven't and allow yourself the optional feelings this isn't the book and if it was it is how someone else "sees" the characters from the book and not your or mine - my only let down with the movie was good old Nanny Ogg - Her ample measurments seem to come from herself and not her wonderous shifts and slips where you never know ( and don't want to know ) what you would find there !!!!!!. sit down with your friends or the children and enjoy some fun *****

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Wyrd Enough, 1 Jun 2007
D. J. Dix "Badger Pickle" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
Yes, I agree - the all star cast turn in some good performances and it is nice to have a Cosgrove Hall production which doesn't have David Jason all over it. BUT this is where the good ends.

Aside from the introduction where we're reminded that the world is on the back of the turtle, there is not enough in the feel of the piece to make it Discworld - and let's not forget the cardinal sin of seeing the flashback to the Fool making a joke about Christmas quackers... what is this Christmas malarkey? On Discworld we have Hogswatch - bit of a school boy error, plently of other jokes about ducks that could have been slipped in to be faithful to the book.

That said I thought Soul Music was a much better prodution, and if you are illiterate and wish to dabble in the Discworld it would be worth getting instead of this. However if you're reading this you're clearly not illiterate and there is no excuse not to read one of the 30 odd wonderful books - I'd recommend Small Gods a good place to start (unless you want to start at the beginning)...

4.0 out of 5 stars Witches wild, 19 Aug 2005
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
The king is dead, and the baby prince is placed in the hands of a coven of (three) witches. The witches scheme to return the prince to his throne, while the usurper and his wife scheme to discredit the witches. This mini-series comes on three tapes, each containing two half-hour episodes.
First of all, let me say that I have not read the book upon which this movie is based, so I cannot say how closely it matches the book. The story is entertaining, and the quality is at least as good as much of what is seen on American TV. My one grievance with this story is the ending; a strange sleight-of-hand occurs that does not appear to make any sense. Inquiring of people who read the book I found that a key occurrence is omitted from the show, making the ending somewhat incoherent.
However, in spite of this, the show is very funny and suitable for viewer of any age. Feel free to watch it in front of the children, you (and they) will enjoy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Only if You've Never Read the Book, 26 May 2003
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD with high hopes, having read other reviews. Maybe I've missed something, but I found watching it embarrasing and disappointing. Embarrasing because I watched it with my wife, who had never read a Discworld novel, and has now vowed she never will (yes, it was THAT bad). Disappointing because it was badly animated and failed to even touch on the subtlety and humour of the book. With possibly two exceptions (three if you count Chrysophase the troll, who had a bit part), the voices were hideous and overdone.
If you've read the books you will be disappointed, if you haven't you may be put off for life - which would be a great loss, and it is for that reason alone that I'm writing this review. Terry Pratchett's books deserve to be read - don't let this travesty of an animation spoil them for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars brings ye discworld to life, 15 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
I somehow contrived to miss the serialised tv screening,and thoroughly enjoyed this. At over 2 hours long, it's good value.I was wary of buying it due to concern over how it would translate into film, but I needn't have worried. Well worth watching, and bears repeated viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett's off-beat humour will keep you chuckling for days, 22 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
If you are a childhood fan of Harry Potter, or you love the world of Tolkien then this DVD is for you! Pratchett is a genius for building you up then making you roll around laughing!!! The animation is great, and it portrays the story perfectly, so if you don't have time to spend reading the book then I suggest this is for you!
PS. Beware the Crone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] (DVD)
Nice rendition of a simple book, good characters. Makes for simple children television and relaxing with my mind switched off.

Wyrd Sisters From Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD]