5.0 out of 5 stars An Angel in disguise
Having come from the sixties (and I do remember it despite what people say), it takes a lot to impress me these days, especially since most modern music is electronic, over-produced and often simply lacking in talent. This album is good, but what makes it a 5 star is the track 'Take my hand'. Every now and again through life, one encounters a song which grips and seizes...
Published on 21 Jan. 2002 by Robin

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it one to stand the test of time?
I bought this album when it first came out after hearing her single, "Here With Me" on the T.V. programme Roswell High. I instantly loved that single and so bought the album on a whim purely based on my love of that one track.
Well, it's been a few years since I last sat down and listened to NO ANGEL, recently rediscovering it at the back of my cupboard, I wondered...
Published on 11 Dec. 2008 by Brida

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I have ever bought!, 17 Feb. 2001
M. S Worthington (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
I, like many others, first heard Dido's superb vocals on Eminem's 'Stan' single. However, it wasn't long before I saw the video to 'Here With Me' and from that moment on I was a huge Dido fan. When I went to order her album and discovered a new enhanced version was about to be released I decided to wait and buy that instead of the original version and I can assure you, the wait was worth every second. Although 'Here With Me' is still my favourite track, this is a very strong album and there isn't a single track that comes across as "an extra tune to make up the numbers". I absolutely love this album and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes what they have heard already. Obviouslly I cannot assure you that you will like this album because everyone's taste is different but I would certainly recommend giving Dido a try and if you don't like it, give it to someone as a gift!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 8 Nov. 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
I eagerly looked forward to buying this CD and was not disappointed! It is a refreshing change from the other CDs in my collection. Dido just stands there and performs the songs faultlessly, and without relying on studio enhancements or tricks. The purity of her voice is stunning.
Everyone knows the famous Dido singles to date, but just listen to the other tracks as well and be enthralled by the consistently high quality.
The lyrics of "Isabel" intrigue me - presumably they are based on some past experience in Dido's life - she should be asked about it!
The songs are terrific - my personal favourite is the very last audio track "Take My Hand" - a really haunting sound to finish the CD, but the other 11 songs are all strong and superbly performed.

4.0 out of 5 stars She's a babe with a great voice and some top tunes, 8 Sept. 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to buying this album and was glad when it exceeded my expectation. One to bring out when the world gets too much. The album opens with the epic 'Here with me' which was released in the UK as a single at the beginning of 2001. I love the line in the song "I don't want to call my friends, they might wake me from this dream". After a couple more tracks comes the beautiful 'Thankyou'. Eminem's version was pretty good but in being so has ruined this lovely song. One of my favourites on the album 'Slide' is the eighth song. It reminds me of the city (any city) at night with all lights and traffic. The last two numbers, 'My life' and 'Take my hand' are also great. 'My life' has a slight jazzy/lounge feel while 'Take my hand' has a more dance orientation and is brill. Some of the other tracks on the album start off a bit naff but after a couple of bars turn out fine. Dido's a babe with a lovely singing voice, shame she couldn't have become big in her home country first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Marvellous!!!, 5 Feb. 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
This, without question, is the greatest album ever! I can simply put it on and I can slip into my own little world where I can twiddle my thumbs and go "tum tee tum tee tum, tum tee tum tee tum"! My favourite track is number tum (sorry i'm listening to it now), i mean two, "Hunter". If people are reading this and thinking i am wierd then they are right, but the beauty of this album is that it has taught me not to care. I am waiting with great eagerness for the next album. Just in case you read this dido, keep up the good work!

4.0 out of 5 stars No Angel: Dido - Honestly OK, 25 Feb. 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
This 1999 release is the debut of pop Queen Dido. Following Eminem's inclusion of extracts from `Thank You' in his hit `Stan', the album seems to have enjoyed staggering success and introduced the world to her brand of alternative pop. Every now and then an album comes along that just breaks down all barriers, and seems to pervade everywhere. Moby's `Play' was one such and this was another. It even appealed to an old folk/glam rock/blues/jazz lover such as myself, such was the depth of it's penetration into the musical consciousness of the time.

Just why was it so successful? There's nothing here particularly groundbreaking or new. It's not edgy, it's just middle of the road pop for a mass market. And exceedingly well done pop at that, which succeeds in its aim of appealing to as wide an audience as possible. Some have described it as bland and unexciting, but every now and then I like to forget the deep, meainingful and worthy music that seems to fill most of my CD shelves and relax to a bit of fluff, and this as often as not is the bit of musical fluff of choice. It's catchy, inoffensive, well made and produced, everything it should be. 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for The Music Lovers, 3 Nov. 2003
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
Although "No Angel" is Dido's first solo album, she must have already known her way around the recording studio. The younger sister of Rollo Armstrong from Faithless, she had sung backing vocals on a number of songs for the band and toured with then over a two year period. Dido's link with Faithless continues on this album. While Dido herself has co-writing credits on all the tracks, six of them were co-written with Rollo. Rollo and Dido produced everything from "ThankYou" to "My Life", while the CD's bonus track "Take My Hand" sees the siblings joined by Sister Bliss on the production credits.
Bits and pieces of this album popped in all the right places for Dido. Long before she'd ever scooped her first solo hit, "Here With Me" had been used on the my-classmates-are-aliens telly show "Roswell High". This led to "Thank You" being sampled by the hugely popular “rap” act Eminem, for his hit "Stan". Some might say she just managed to get that bit of luck singers and musicians sometimes need, others might put it down to astute management. Whatever it was, I'm not complaining - I'm just glad that I got to hear her music.
As a whole, the album has a mellow, acoustic, laid-back feel to it. It's not necessarily the sort of 'sound' you might have expected, given the level of involvement from Faithless camp, but that's no bad thing. The Roswell High tune, "Here With Me", kicks the album off. Like "Thank You", it's a nice, positive, cheery number that just oozes happy love. As much as I like these two songs, I've found myself leaning towards the tracks where things haven't gone quite right. "My Lover's Gone" and "All You Want" particularly stand out - there's a nice touch of regret and bitterness in these songs, yet they don't feel at odds with the mood of the album. The other song on the album that really stands out for me is "Isobel". Assuming, of course, it's based on real events, it seems to be a 'hello' to a friend living in Ireland who went missing. While these songs would be my favourite tracks, I wouldn't call any of the remaining songs bad in any shape or form. I'd always listen to the album from start to finish, without skipping through anything !
It should be pretty easy for you to decide whether or not to buy this album. The singles that were released from "No Angel" are a very good indication of the album's style. If you liked the singles, you'll like the album; if you didn't you won't. Though, it has to be said, I really can't understand how anyone couldn't like Dido.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this album time to grow on you., 27 Nov. 2000
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
The first listen was a disappointment. Actually, I wasn't really listening but just going about my daily routines, with Dido in the background, trying to break through to my ears. After some time I put it on again when friends came over for dinner. Nothing doing. I was beginning to worry I threw my money down the drain. Then, last Saturday, when I was alone, there was no washing to be done, and I could concentrate on sipping rum, smoking and indulging in self-pity, I decided to give the album one last chance. Do I have to say I'm glad I did? Great, riveting opening track, my favourite so far, but "No Angel" surely has more jewels waiting to be dug up. This is no musical wallpaper, so switch off your washing machine and turn off the tap, kick everyone out for a walk, lie down with a drink at your elbow and make sure you have enough smokes to keep you going for an hour. Press 'Play' and enjoy those slightly depressing, nostalgic and sweet tunes filled with some sort of longing that you can't really pin down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best female solo album of 2001, 16 April 2002
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
This is not one of the regular loved up, love you till the day I day. Its gritty real emotions from a womans point of view rather than trying to hold on to her man. She has a unique voice and the songs are brilliant. When I first bought the album I must have liistened to it non stop for about two weeks and the only other album that had that effect was Alanis Morisette with Jagged Little Pill. Cant wait for her to release her next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Album, 6 Jan. 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
Eminem, I agree has most definitely made the spotlight shine on Dido, with his song "Stan", however I am not an Eminem fan at all. But the haunting strains of her voice intersted me. It was then I discovered Dido, and that the part in Eminems' song, was actually a real song, "Thank You". One of my good friends then introduced me to another of her songs "Here With Me" - the theme tune to "Roswell High", and I instantly became a fan. I HAD to buy the album on the strength of these two songs. And how glad I am I did, how have I been missing out on this for such a long time? I must admit I had problems in acutally getting my hands on a copy, as she is really coming up in popularity now, but ever since buying "No Angel" a couple of weeks ago, it has not left my CD player once. Along with "Thank You" and "Here With Me", my other favourites are so many in number - "Take My Hand" - the bonus track, although starts off slow, is absolutely amazing, "Hunter", "Don't Think Of Me", "I'm No Angel" - a song I like so much I now use it as my username for many things!, "Isobel", "All You Want".......her voice is so beautiful. Get your hands on a copy before the 12th of February, because believe me, when "Here With Me" is released, a copy of this album will be like gold-dust............

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give 6 stars if I could!, 1 Feb. 2001
Simon Crouch (Nr Skegness, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
Well, WHAT a debut album. A heady mix of thought-provoking lyrics, sophisticated melodies and that certain quality that means you'll be humming these tunes to yourself all day, mean that I simply can't stop playing this CD! After the first listen I was hooked. "Here With Me" was my initial prompt to buy it, and I was hoping the rest of the album would be up to the same quality - I wasn't dissapointed. "Hunter" & "All You Want" are particular faves, forcing me to crank up the volume to neighbour-worrying levels (!), but the best track has been reserved for those who've waited patiently for the Enhanced CD - no 12, "Take My Hand" is, quite simply, fabulous. Dido's vocal talents shine so brightly she's in danger of becoming the "next big thing" - watch out Britney, there's a new Queen in town!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

No Angel
No Angel by Dido (Audio CD - 2013)