4.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Beginning, 16 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
After hearing the magnificent voice of Garou in the Musical Notre-Dame de Paris, I decided to take a chance on this solo CD to see more of what he was about. The tracks are extremely varied and all are pleasant to listen to, from the Meatloaf-esque Que l'amour est violent to the heart-wrenching L'adieu, each song tells it's own story. A duet with Celine Dion is featured in Sous le vent, but her name is not needed on this CD to help it, he does very well on his own. No one song stands out here, that could be the only downfall, but I don't think it's relevant as they are all strong songs that stand alongside each other well. Seul has been released as the first single and you can see why, it's catchy and easily remembered. All in all, I think this is a great first attempt at mainstream for Garou, who's Jazz background is evident in the style of the songs, I look forward to hearing much more of him. All songs are in French.

5.0 out of 5 stars <swoon!>, 13 July 2005
Ms. S. Benjamin "igerne" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
I first heard Garou performing with the rest of the cast of the hit musical Notre Dame de Paris. At the time it was Bruno Pelltier's voice that impressed me most, but by the time I moved to France in 2001 it was Garou who was the star. If you like deepvoices and emotionally charged ballads this record will send a shiver down your spine. Garou has one of the most distinctive voices I have ever heard and works through an amazing range of styles from rock to pop to a song written by Bryan Adams and a duet with Celine Dion. My favourite tracks are L'Adieu and Demande au Soleil. Criminel is a bit pervy and Seul is the one that EVERY RADIO STATION in France didn't stop playing for the entire time I lived there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seul by Garou, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
Garou is to France what Robbie Williams is to the UK and this album does not disappoint.
Garou has a strong seductive voice which adapts well to balads like "Sous le vent"- "Beneath the wind" with Celine Dion- a number 1 in France for several weeks and can also rock with songs like Gambler. This alum is a mix of ballads and sounds raw with emotion about Love and the hurt it can cause- "Que L`amour est violent", "criminel".
Garou sings in english or French equally as well with full emotion. This is an easy to listen to album, you do not need to know French to appreciate it but it helps to understand the full emotion in his words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garou- Il est magnifique!!!, 11 July 2002
This review is from: Seul (Audio CD)
I first heard Garou in Leclerc when I was on a school exchange and he had just released Seul as a single. It became the song of the holiday, and one person bought the cd as we were on our way home and we listened to it nonstop. When I got back I ordered the album, and I wasn't disappointed. Absolutely fantastic allround. The songs are all different styles, but there is a huge Jazz element sifting through in each one. Bryan Adams wrote the music to Gambler, which has a little english in it ("Not a winner, not a loser, I'm a gambler"!!) and Celine Dion performs a duet on "Sous le vent" but he's good enough in his own right to not need these names on it. Que l'amour est violent is very very much like Meatloaf, so much so I checked the credits to see if it had had any input from him! My personal favourite is the Celine Duet, but I think the album is brilliant all round. It helps of you speak french, but even my mum sings along now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For those in love but not only :), 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Seul (MP3 Download)
Love it, love it, love it!!!! There's smth in his voice that still sends shivers down my spine. Nothing changed since when I was heard it for the first time. For me evergreen at least for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Garou - a french genius, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Seul (MP3 Download)
I first saw Garou in Notre Dame de paris in London - and I was blown out by his fantastic voice.Now I have the great man on an album and his voice is still fantastic and sends a shiver down my spine everytime I hear it.
If you want to choose just one new artist to hear - get this album - it will blow your socks off!!!

Seul
Seul by Garou (Audio CD - 2001)