5.0 out of 5 stars You�re glumly forced to admit they�re telling the truth
You've been drinking too much and depriving her of the time you said you'd spend with her. It's all there, in this album's lyrics. In the end, you're glumly forced to admit they're telling the truth. And it hurts, because when The Beautiful South sing the truth, they make no attempt to dress it up in cosy little euphemisms.
"We still got closer than most" rings...
Published on 5 Feb 2001 by policyoftruth

3.0 out of 5 stars Melancholic
Melancholy I soon have enough of. - But the quality of their performance is OK. You might say that the music and song on this recording is unclear. - I presume that this is a recording issue.
Published 20 months ago by Steen Sorensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Painting it Red, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
Ok - some are nicer than others and nice to cheer you on a slow day without shaking the ear drums too much

3.0 out of 5 stars Melancholic, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Painting It Red (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars You can call this album Leisure, 15 Mar 2001
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
I found this album in the duty free section at Heathrow, and spent the whole seven hour flight listening to this album again and again and again. Two reasons. Firstly, each track needs at least two or three listenings before you can realise just how wonderful they are, and secondly, once you do realise, you are hooked on them and just can't stop listening. As usual, we have the wonderful lyrics form Paul, and the wonderful melodies from David R, and the fabulous vocals of the three. The best tracks are Til you can't tuck it in, You can call me leisure, and The Mediterranean. The only tracks I skip are Masculine Eclipse, The River, and Chicken Wings. Here is what I think of each track:-
Who's gonna tell - 9/10 Closer than Most 10/10 Just Checking 9/10 Hit Parade 8/10 Masculine Eclipse 5-10 Till you can't tuck it in 10/10 If we crawl 9/10 Tupperware Queen 9/10 Half Hearted Get 9/10 White Teeth 9/10 (L.E. Only) River 4/10 Baby Please Go 9/10 Call me Leisure 10/10 Final Spark 10/10 10000 Feet 9/10 Hot on the Heels 9/10 Mediterranean 10/10 Little Piece of Advice 10/10 Property Quiz 10/10 Chicken Wings 5/10 (Dissapointing end to the album)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sgt Pepper of Hull, 30 Jan 2001
carterf@logica.com (Bishops' Stortford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
TBS have been around for the best part of twelve years, have had major success with past albums and a greatest hits compilation purported to be owned by one out of seven households in the UK. So, what's new with "Painting It Red"? Frankly everything and with not a dud track in sight! What is incredible is the range of musical styles that are fully expoited in the album - pop, jazz, folk, funk - you name it, it's there but wrapped into the atypical TBS blend of cryptic lyrics and superb harmonies. Tracks that stand out as sublime include; Masceline Eclipse, The Mediterranean, Call Me Leisure and the under-rated Property Quiz. A great shame that Jacqui left shortly after it's release, which contributed to poorer sales I'm sure but certainly a classic album from probably the best UK band around. Keep it up guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Unlike A Gangrenous Infection, It Grows On You!, 13 Oct 2000
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
I love The Beautiful South. They are my favourite band...ever and so I rushed to get this new release.
On first listen, I hated it! I was building it up to the level of Quench and Miaow, but after three listens, I can't get the songs out of my head!
All the songs are masterpieces, could Heaton write a bad song? Well! Yes! It's called "The River", but the other 18 are absolute gems. Personal favourites at the minute are "Who's Gonna Tell?" and "Half Hearted Get" but "Liar's Bar"esque big shout for "Hit Parade" and Rotherhay's genius (so often understated due to the unparalleled wit and talent of Birkenhead's favourite Blade)shines through on "'Til You Can't Tuck It In".
Buy it...prepare to be non-plussed...listen again...be DAZZLED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Painting It Red? And I thought Blue Was The Colour!, 6 Nov 2000
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
I bought it, I listened to it - and quite frankly I just didn't know what to think of it.
This album was welcomed with a mixed reaction from the press and I found it difficult to come to a decision as to whether or not I liked it.
Then I found myself walking around the office singing Just Checkin'. Damn I can't get this somg outta my head.
I listened again and found many masterpieces - 'Til You Can't Tuck It In (the big brother of Quench's Perfect 10), White Teeth (are uglier than yellow teeth Eh?)(Limited Edition Only), Baby Please Go and You Can Call Me Leisure - all classic pop (Just Checkin' just MUST be a single!!)
There are a few average tracks (hence the four stars) but hey - Who's Gonna Tell?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another corker!, 4 Oct 2000
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
I have to agree with Wedgie. The South have moved on yet again! Not innovative, but there is a definite progression throughout all the band's 7 albums. Excellent lyrics; witty, warm and mature. Personal highlights are Hit Parade, Masculine Eclipse, Tupperware Queen, The River, Hot On The Heels of Heartbreak and Property Quiz. Don't be put off by the performance of Closer Than Most.
A definite "must have" for fans and lovers of good, solid pop who love lyrics that need a bit of thinking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars YET ANOTHER CLASSIC ALBUM!, 12 April 2001
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
The Beautiful South are probably the only band on the face of the earth that produce with every single album they make. With outstanding value for money, (20 tracks) one would have thought that it was impossible to beat the perfect 'Quench.' But they have. Listen out for such corkers as The Mediteranien, Closer than Most, If we Crawl, Tupperware Queen and A Little Piece Of Advice. Brilliant! Will they ever not deliver?

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BAND CONTINUES TO AMAZE ME !, 30 Oct 2000
C. D. CHANDLER (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
This incredible band has put together a collection of fantastic songs that is sure to please every Beautiful South fan out there as well as draw the interest of any music fans looking for new and interesting music. The song writing is top notch - very clever and witty as always. I wish these guys would play some more live dates in the USA ! Buy this on as you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love them in Spain too!, 4 Jan 2001
This review is from: Painting It Red (Audio CD)
Although they try to make things hard for us out of the UK (we only have the 17-tracks version of "Painting it red"), we love them in Spain too. I saw them in Madrid on May 1992 (still with Briana) and it was great! So, if you like the group, "Painting it red" is a must. Please, come to Spain again!

Painting It Red
Painting It Red by Beautiful South (Audio CD - 2007)