4.0 out of 5 stars ***Beautiful Day***
Now this is an album that takes me back it has some great memories for me...."Beautiful Day","Stuck in a Moment" and "Elevation" are here along with some fantastic new tracks.If you only listen to one track make it "The Ground Beneath Her feet" absolute brilliance from Bono."In A Little While"is pretty special I also like "kite" and "Wild Honey"
Incredible vocals...
Published on 28 Aug. 2004 by key-to-my-heart

3.0 out of 5 stars It's very simple
If you are one of the many people who liked the Joshua Tree(1987) (their most popular work by sales figures) and despaired at thir 90s stuff (Achtung Baby et al), then you will be glad of what U2 have done in their most recent release. It's gone back to that era of music in a sense. However, there is an epic-quality to The Joshua Tree; a gritty-ness and grainy feel. This...
Published on 7 Dec. 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars ***Beautiful Day***, 28 Aug. 2004
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
Incredible vocals from one of the ,in my opinion best bands of all time..theyr'e up there with Oasis and the Beatles!*Buy it***Sarah.C

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite "grower", 14 Dec. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
When I first heard the new songs I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Many of the lyrics seemed contrived and the vocals were all over the place. However, I've been a U2 fan since their first release and had had similar feelings when I first heard "The Joshua Tree" - an album which I now recognise as the masterpiece that it is. Like The Joshua Tree I knew that ATYCLB would grow on me if I gave it a chance... and was I ever right. Bono has said that "Pop" was released in what they now consider to be an unfinished state and it's clear that they didn't want to make the same "mistake" with this one. The songs are crafted to perfection and although not as rocky as some would have hoped they are none the worse for it. It saddens me to see how badly (comparatively) this album has done in the UK charts as a lot of people are missing out on what will one day be viewed as a classic.
My personal favourites are "Elevation", "Kite", and "Walk On" but mention must also go to "Peace On Earth" as having some of the most poignant lyrics I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtly Superb, 23 Jan. 2001
Mr. Robert Cooper "umgowa" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
In a little while U2 will be back to normal, everything over the top and larger than life. Sooooo!, make the most of this jewel of an album before Bono finds a 'New direction' with which to experiment. Don't get me wrong, I loved Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, but this is pure U2 in control and picking the best recipes for the menu. Beautiful day throbs into the conscious mind to remind you who we're dealing with here. Stuck in a moment you can't get out of is philosophy that is best known to those that are stuck there. Elevation uplifts. In a little while is deep and disturbing but beautiful. New York is brash and spot-on! Grace makes you wish you knew someone like that, perhaps you are that lucky, I am! The ground beneath her feet is noisy but promises little.
Quite an enigmatic collection. HOW U2!

4.0 out of 5 stars They're back, 1 Dec. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
Almost 20 years after their debut, Dublin legends U2 are back. Never afraid to change direction, the band started out with stark, fervent rock, before taking in political statements, Black American influences and, in the 90s, a sound very much influenced by electronic and dance music. The U2 of 2000, however, is a pick 'n' mix affair, and sounding great for it.
Bono always promised that the new album would take on a more traditional sound overall, perhaps in order to regain fans alienated by the gaudiness of 1997's "POP" (in my opinion their finest work). Indeed, the album title is perhaps alluding to this. The record is tremendously relaxing, and reminiscent of "The Unforgettable Fire" and critics' favourite, "The Joshua Tree", two albums from the mid 1980s. This is surely due to the return of producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, who presided over these two albums, their first albums with U2. As far as the band itself is concerned, the instruments are largely restrained, allowing Bono to do what he loves doing - take centre stage. His religious and, to a lesser extent, political fervour are certainly prominent in several songs. However, the overall tone of "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is one of optimism and gentle reflection.
Highlights for me include "Elevation", which sounds like a refugee from "Achtung Baby", with its distinctive drum sound and funky 80s-esque synths, the simultaneously melancholic and optimistic "Kite", and the anthemic "Walk On", a song of hope for persecuted Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi. A couple of songs, however, are let down by their lyrical content. Bono is not famed for his subtlety when dealing with the big issues, and "Peace on Earth" is no exception. His over-earnestness in bemoaning the state of our world becomes rather cloying. Sample lyric - "Tell the ones who hear no sound Whose sons are living in the ground Peace on Earth." This is followed by "When I Look At The World", a touching plea from Bono to join God in Heaven, which makes the following song, "New York", all the more nauseating. Basically, Bono is boasting about his new pad in the Big Apple. If it appeared on "POP", this would be fine. However, in the context of this record, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Having said all that, "Peace on Earth" and "New York" sound great and cannot be faulted musically.
"All That You Can't Leave Behind", for me, serves the dual purpose of welcoming old fans back to the fold, whilst attracting new ones with euphoric songs such as "Beautiful Day" and TOTP-endorsed, "Elevation". In my opinion, it does both well. And for those of us that never went away, Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam have served up another treat. Roll on the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that I hoped they'd left behind., 3 Nov. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
A return to their roots? I don't think it's as drastic as that. It's certainly not as bad as War but as a follow up to the hugely under rated Pop it is a disappointment.
What! You didn't like Pop? MOFO, Gone, Please, Staring at the Sun, to name but four easily wipe the floor with any track on ATYCLB.
I really, really wanted to love this album. The very fact that each (previous) album was something new and that they were pushing themselves musically is one of the reasons that I have listened to U2 for so long. This album is not a progression. It's not dangerous or exciting or risky - all the things that U2 had been during the nineties. Perhaps I'm too greedy in expecting it to continue?
Have they run out of ideas? Are they getting too old? Maybe this is their hangover after the extremes of the nineties - Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop and 3 huge tours? It was a hell of a party after all.
The only saving grace is that I felt the same way about Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop but they all got much better with time. Hence I give it 4 stars in the hope that it will be worthy of it in a few months time - at the moment it's struggling to reach 3 stars.
I was at the Point that fateful night - 31st December 1989 - when Bono said they were to "go away and ... dream it all up again". Maybe it's time to start dreaming again?

4.0 out of 5 stars The 'giant' begins to stir once more and about time!, 12 Nov. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I cannot concur with any of the extreme views already expressed about ATYCLB; whether in gushing praise or disdainful slating. This is a perfectly competent piece of work without setting the world on fire, as if it really had to! Why does everything have to be new and exciting ? The experimentation seems to be over at last and now maybe we can look forward to JT finally being eclipsed. ATYCLB doesn't manage this, but with tracks like 'In a Little While', 'Kite' and 'Walk On' I don't see why this can't happen. Although it receives a lot of airplay, I like 'Beautiful Day' too..Jeez!..I can remember a time when it was devil's own luck to hear the like's of 'New Year's Day' on the radio. There's just no pleasing some folk <grin>.
As to the question of being a music lover or die-hard devotee, then I'd fall into the neither category as music has long since ceased being an important part of my life as it was when I stepped off a plane from Miami back in December '87. That ended a seven month on-off trek following the JT tour, which began at Wembley and took in places like Dublin, Paris and Cork along the way. The abiding memory from that journey home was how can they top that. Consequently their music peaking then as it did, coincided with my appreciation....until now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet, sung from the heart........, 3 Sept. 2001
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
An absolute star of a CD for any U2 fan, easy listening with superb lyrics which allows Bono's strong vocals to shine through. On first listening it would be easy to write off this CD after hearing the first three familiar, already released, tracks. But keep listening, the guitar work on 'ground beneath her feet' is chilling and quite something else. However, this version of 'Elevation' is disappointing and for any avid fan I would wholly recommend buying the CD single to appreciate this track fully. Truly their best since The Joshua Tree. Listening is pure bliss, a truly class act of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Safe Bet., 2 Nov. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
Of course there was always going to be over excited, flag waving U2 fans that were going to love the re-emergence of a full on, in your face, old style U2 guitar album; and that's fair enough. I realise that there are plenty of fans who struggled to get through the 90's U2 with "Zooropa" and "Pop" a little too challenging to properly embrace. However, I think these were two of the band's best LP's to date, and full respect to a band of U2's stature that were prepared to put it all on the line in that way. The reverse feels the case with this LP. This sounds like a band who want to be loved again (and not for their daring to be cutting edge). Don't get me wrong, this is still one of the best albums you will hear this year, it's just that for me, whilst it starts well (Elevation, Stuck in a Moment) and ends well (New York, Grace), it does sag a little in the middle - too many mid-tempo numbers that don't impress with every listen. Finally, I also feel that this album works as a collection of songs, rather than a seemingly themed masterpiece such as the journey that was "Achtung Baby", or the tripped out vision that was "Zooropa". So, whilst many will be hailing this as an over due return to form, I'd have to say it reeks of "safe bet".

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the basics of melody, lyric and beat., 1 Nov. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
Listening to this for the first few times reminds me of the first time I listened to "The Joshua Tree". The sound is totally different but the felling is the same. Some tracks are poignant and touching while others are energetic and frivolous.
The first listen directed me towards the obvious sing-a-long tunes. As I re-listened to these particular tracks I'd accidentally play the wrong one or leave a track run on and discover another gem. Tracks that were anonymous the first time I listened to them took on more sublime quality as I notice a lyric or harmony that I had missed the first, second or eleventh time I played the album.
My personal favorite is "In a Little While", but it's been my third "favorite" song so far from the album. Certainly it's one of the best albums of the year, and U2's best in almost a decade. It has enough style to satisfy the casual radio audience and enough substance to leave the music glutton filled to the brim ...
Thankfully there are bands still out there that aren't gone so far up their behinds that they can still release an album that most music fans will enjoy and appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form!, 2 Nov. 2000
This review is from: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Audio CD)
After much anticipation I rushed out on Monday morning to purchase ATYCLB, having heard snippets of the album from the website I knew what to expect - I thought. The album's rich rythms, beautiful patterning and expansive sound, really does sound BIG.Bono's voice sounds heartfelt, although it does seem to be a little strained on occassions, however the quality of the music pulls him through with ease. "Walk-on", "stuck in a moment" and "kite" are the focal points of the album, in my opinion. Some tracks to do not sit quite as well as others, within the context of the whole album; "peace on earth" is a somewhat sickly song, full of Bono pretention, and I found "grace" a slightly ugly song, due to the Bono croonings. However, on the whole this album is a great return to form from the band, it has breadth, plenty of emotion, and some really impactful songs. If you liked either "Achtung Baby" or "The Joshua Tree", I recommend purchasing this album, as it seems to be a combination of the two; the emotion of "Achtung Baby", with the honesty of "The Joshua Tree".

All That You Can't Leave Behind
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (Audio CD - 2005)