5.0 out of 5 stars If you are trying to capture the magic of the 1958 movie
Published on 17 July 2004 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Nothing to say it was ok
Published 8 months ago by david zavaroni

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are trying to capture the magic of the 1958 movie, 17 July 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
Original play recordings will always win out for the people that saw it. However I grew up with this movie and there is no other version for me. I have visions of the people and the story as the different song comes up. It was the lyrics to "Some Enchanted Evening" that actually convinced me to get married. And even today I find my self singing "Younger Than Springtime" to my wife. However I do not look it. I even did a review of the movie the day that Ray Walston ...Luther Billis died. [South Pacific (1958) ASIN: 6305283362]. I will mot go through all the songs on this album. Just if you pick one album this is it. And if you like other versions then you should still add this to the collection for contrast.
One day you will want to make this your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Younger than Springtime, 11 Aug. 2011
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
Although generally not a great lover of musical films, South Pacific is probably my favourite, mostly because of the hauntingly memorable music and possibly because it was the first "big musical" film I saw at the cinema - when the best seats were 2/6d (12-13 pence)- crippling to a young teenager! At the risk of sounding repetitive, the memories come flooding back when listening to the soundtrack, which is perfectly reproduced on this cd, as each scene is vividly brought to mind. Even if you haven't seen the film many, if not all, of the songs have become well established favourites, but I find the original soundtrack hard to beat.
Highly recommended for easy listening or a sing-along in the car - (or bath)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Memories, 16 May 2011
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
It brought back happy memories of my childhood and to me was always the best version of the musical. It now makes me want to get the original film version which I have not seen for forty years or more. I cannot recommend this CD-rom more.

5.0 out of 5 stars South Pacific, 19 April 2012
J. Ayres (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
My mum used to have an LP of South Pacific when I was little, and I grew up knowing the songs, so this CD is a real trip down memory lane. The songs are great with excellent tunes, and good lyrics, and they are very easy to sing along to. Great for a bit of escapism!

5.0 out of 5 stars South Pacific Musical-film version, 12 Dec. 2010
A. J. Montgomery (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
I bought this for the same reason as I bought Oklahoma. Childhood memories of hearing it played on LP or Dad singing songs from it to us. I did see the film too when I was about 5 or 6, but really it's the audible memories rather than the visual images that I treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
What can I say except 'Magic'. Took me back to when my mother took me to see the film as a child and we had an LP of the soundtrack which was played all the time. Wonderful songs to sing along to in the car, so glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars South Pacific, 15 May 2012
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
What can you say about an all time classic !! Not long since seen Stage show which was fabulous so purchased dvd. and c/d. just to relive the Original this did not let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEEDBACK, 17 July 2013
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
I remember this film from sooooo long ago and have always loved the track This Nearly Was Mine. I've thought about buying the album simply for this track, believing that the rest of the album would be of no particular interest. I was so wrong! I love it all and frequently listen to it in the car. Even when I am feeling at a low ebb, this album instantly raises my spirit and energy levels and I am singing along at the top of my voice with a huge smile stretched across my face! One or two tracks also bring tears to my eyes ..... but in a good way! Definitely one of my favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good soundtrack, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
I have loved the songs from South Pacific since I first saw the film over 50 years ago. I wanted some music that was mine to play in the car, as most of the cds in there belong to my male partner . He, however, enjoys this cd & we drive along singing at the tops of our voices.
This is a good sound track, with good quality recording.
It is shameful that when the film was made they did not use actors who could sing. But, having said that, the session singers they used on the soundtrack did a good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album full of wonderfully tuneful and clever songs - Rogers and Hammerstein at ..., 23 July 2014
This review is from: South Pacific (Audio CD)
An album full of wonderfully tuneful and clever songs - Rogers and Hammerstein at their glorious best. If you want to wallow in, or sing along to magnificent melodies, then listen to South Pacific: if you want to listen to brilliant and inventive lyrics which with true lightness of touch deal with a gamut of themes ranging from boy-girl love to happy-go-lucky to racism and back again, then listen to South Pacific.

Ignore all that - just listen to South Pacific!

South Pacific
South Pacific by Mitzi Gaynor (Audio CD - 2000)