Size: 52 mm|Change

on 5 August 2010
This is my very first Protector Filter but so far I can say this is very good.
It hasn't changed the colour of the pics and on top it has protected from a couple of scratches.
So far, so good. Highly recommended if you're looking for a standard UV protector
With the cost of camera lens in the hundreds I thought I better get myself a filter which could double up as a protector should I have an accident. Happy with the filter, once it is screwed on you can forget it is even on. Lens caps clip on to them no problem. As they screw on they can be easily removed again if required. Should I have an accident and drop the camera I'd rather this lens take the impact and crack rather than the lens itself!

Have used this while taking lots of holiday pictures and they've all come out well.
on 25 July 2009
By the 3rd or 4th photo with this lens I was noticing strange colours through my viewfinder. It didn't take long to see (by removing the lens) that the lens was not anti-reflective and these reflections were being seen and recorded on my pictures. I've returned the item - it's nothing more than a cheap piece of glass that's not even securely fixed in the screw ring!
on 4 August 2012
Good to protect the lens, but as soon as there are bright lights in the picture it causes nasty reflections, which are not always easy to spot on the camera screen or viewfinder.
I think the only way around this is to take off the filter in bright light situations.
That, or probably spend a fortune on a filter, although I'm not sure there are 100% free reflections UV filters out there. And if you have to use a £100 filter to protect your lens, then you might feel you need a filter to protect your filter, what could lead you on to a spiral of using more and more filters and incidentally to abstract/psychadelic photography.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 September 2012
Filters nearly always feel 'right', or not, on first handling.

If it screws on neatly, progressively tightening and then stays secure but not when screwed tightly - and then unscrews in exactly the same way, getting easier as it goes, then you've got a good one.

In my opinion (I've been photographing, to some degree, for forty years) spending as much as one can on a well-known brand doesn't necessarily reap the rewards the salespeople will tell you. Essentially, it's just a flat, plain piece of glass that you need but it's how that is kept in place that's more important.

Yes, this a UV filter but that effect is almost nil and so to me it's purely to protect a lens' front element. In my case, a pro-standard Nikkor G 85mm f1.8. Any debate about this filter not being multicoated is offset by the lens' deep hood and being of longer focal length and so won't be affected the same way as a complex zoom or wide-angle would.

Tiffen filters are cheaper than many and I've had a couple on other lenses; all have lasted well and not fallen apart. I would strongly suggest though, that savings made on a UV/Protector filter is put toward a decent polariser - a true filter that will dramatically improve your photos and where getting the best you can afford really does pay dividends.
on 30 December 2011
I have an original Cannon UV filter aswell. This product is equally as good. Has a thread on the inside as well so you can fit a lens cover or other attachments. Good bargain.
on 4 September 2008
I cannot fault this item, it fits my Panasonic FZ18 perfectly, with no colour change in the printed pictures and fitting was very easy.
But Why did it take 5 Weeks to arrive?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2010
I've found this filter from Tiffen to be just as good as the more expensive filter that it replaced. I've seen no noticeable drop in image quality with the filter attached and have no complaints about the build quality that some other reviewers have observed. It's pretty much "fit and forget".

All things considered, this is a cost effective way of protecting a far more expensive lens and so is highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 January 2014
I have been using three of these under a number of lighting conditions and they have remained totally invisible to the finished result. I have not suffered any flare even in low direct light.
on 10 December 2012
Perhaps I was expecting a little much - after all, this filter didn't cost a great deal and I'm used to using Hoya HD filters on my SLR lenses. However, in both an indoors party last weekend, and an Alps mountaineering trip this summer, there are a large proportion of images that have suffered from flare. When I noticed this in the Alps, I kept the camera in the exact same position, and took the same picture both with and without the filter within seconds. Those taken with the filter attached had a green flare cast across the midframe, which wasn't duplicated in those shots taken without it. Perhaps this is ok as a *cheap* protective filter, but I shall be looking elsewhere for a filter to replace this with - too bad Hoya don't make their HD series in this 46mm size!
I hope this helps!