5.0 out of 5 stars This is the stuff that gives you goosebumps!
I think that one of the greatest achievements of Teenage Fanclub is their innate ability to distill the best and most memorable achievements in recent pop music: Beatles, the Byrds, Big Star, et al. and just deliver beautifully crafted songs. I still get goosebumps listening to any of their records. This is the way I always wished my band to sound. Happy, straight and...
Published on 28 July 2002 by Eduardo Sturla

3.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call Quite Good!
Just call me a bold-faced liar. Were I an honest man, I'd have given "Howdy!" the five-star rating it deserves. But why tell Teenage Fanclub faithful something they already know? Any self-respecting fan has already bought the album; their reading of this review amounts to little more than an afterthought. These comments are intended for the uninitiated masses;...
Published on 7 Nov 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO BE GOOD, 5 July 2002
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
Teenage Fanclub are to music what Nick Hornby is to books.
Their songs are funny, unpretentious, smarter than they look, mad for pop ( Byrds, Beatles, Big Star, Beach Boys, bubblegum, Neil Young) good company. Buy this new, buy this used but GET THIS INTO YOUR HOME. You'll like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened, 14 Nov 2000
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
I see they decided to produce this one themselves - maybe a mistake. After Grand Prix and Songs from Northern Britain most of the songs on this album sound incomplete, unfinished and a little bit hollow. For example, I need Direction starts out well, but never really goes anywhere. This trend is continued throughout. Even the album cover looks a bit thrown together. Bit of a shame all round really. GET THE FINGER OUT LADS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Summer Bliss, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
This is definitely my favourite Teenage Fanclub album. Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain are both excellent and have amazing moments (About You is just the best start to ANY album) but I love this one all the way through. From the harmonies of I Need Direction & Accidental Life through Raymond McGinley's brilliant Happiness to My Uptight Life, there's not a bad track here. It's also incredibly uplifting and positive and makes you feel the world is a better place. A must for any collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effortless sounding music, 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
With echoes of Byrds and Buffalo Springfield harmonies this 2000 album features bright and breezy music but deals with serious themes.

My favourite songs were "I Can't Find My Way Home", "Accidental Life" and the wistful "If I Never See you again".

4.0 out of 5 stars some of their best work, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
Stand out tracks - I can't find my way home - My uptight life - Near you - If i never see you again - The town and the city - The fannies coasting slightly but the above tracks are great growers that will stand the test of time and worthy of any best of comp!...when they soar they soar as only they can.
The 3rd best fannies album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Their most underrated record, 20 Feb 2010
Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
This album was virtually forgotten on release (their record label Creation had been engulfed by Sony and Teenage Fanclub were cruelly sidelined). Have to say, some of the songs on Howdy! are amongst their best. Gerald Love's songs shine brightest with Near You and I Need Direction. When first listening to the album, Norman Blake's songs seem to take a back seat compared to Love's, but Dumb Dumb Dumb and If I Never See You Again are excellent are repeated listens. Ray McGinley's My Uptight Life is also one of his finest. Have to mention that Paul Quinn (drummer) left after the recording of this album and this seemed to spell the end of their golden era. This album is similar in sound to Songs From Northern Britain and just as good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally Under rated Record, 12 July 2007
Christopher Hunter "cjhunter2001uk" (Farnham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
'Howdy' was given pretty indifferent reviews on first release. I think it's time for a reassessment. This record has some of Teenage Fanclub's finest songs on it. Just have a listen to 'I need Direction' and 'Near You' to witness some Byrdsian brilliant jangly pop in action.

Teenage Fanclub have always been the masters of melody and harmony and 'Howdy!' took the formula on from their earlier releases to something a bit more mature but no less rewarding. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Oct 2000
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
Album of the Year. The lost gem of pop music release an album to rival their masterpiece Grand Prix. The forgotten art of songwriting lives on in these three cheeky Scottish scamps. If you have any passion for a tune, love or even life - go and buy this album. Keep it up boys - we love you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album, buy it!, 5 Nov 2001
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
I bought this album six months ago, and it's still fantastic!. It is full of wonderful, happy, joyful music, great chord changes, harmonies and uplifting lyrics.
Just buy it, you won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars After two classic albums this is a big disappointment!, 29 Oct 2000
jimbwood@hotmail.com (Isle of Arran, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howdy! (Audio CD)
Teenage fanclub have gone from strength to strength over their career, 'Bandwagonesque' saw them on the verge of something big and the boys delivered with two all-time 'must buy' classics in 'Grand Prix' and then 'Songs from Northern Britain'. Each was crammed with The T.F's trademark three-part haromnies and hooks to die for. The expectations of 'Howdy' were therefore very high, and indeed reviews have been very favourable, but in my opinion, with one or two exceptions the songs are poor b-sides at best, with tunes that go nowhere. Maybe this will grow on me but so far it seems to be a case of the 'Emperor's new clothes' and I know they can do so much better. If you have no TF in your collection yet, buy 5-star 'Grand Prix' and 'Songs From Northern Britain', and leave 'Howdy' on the shelf.

Howdy!
Howdy! by Teenage Fanclub (Audio CD - 2000)