Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 September 2001
No doubt spurned by the recent use of Unsquare Dance on television by Renault, this compliation sees the rerelease of Brubeck's greatest works.
Personally it is 'Take Five' that always makes me appreciate Brubeck's skill, but the CD includes many other classic jazz tracks, including a notably live recording of 'it's a raggy waltz'.
A good first time buy, which should draw the listener within its smooth chilled atmosphere.
22 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2013
My first experience of a jazz album was the release of The Bryan Ferry Orchestra "The Jazz Age" late last year. This excellent record included some instrumental jazz interpretations of Ferry's solo and Roxy Music songs which proved hugely enjoyable. This introduction, along with recent BBC programmes, made me want to explore jazz further.

Treading these new water's carefully and with my limited knowledge that the effortlessly carefree "Take Five" was on this CD, I selected "The Very Best" instead of "Timeout" purely because it had more recordings on it for a similar price.

Listening to "The Very Best" at approximately one-and-a-quarter hours in length is a delightfully rewarding experience that I would encourage newcomers, like me, to share - jazz afficiandos are already well accustomed to the brilliance of this album. The great inter-play between Dave Brubeck on piano and Paul Desmond on alto sax in particular will give a joy to anyone fortunate enough to listen to this record. Personal favourites include "Unsquare Dance, Take Five, Mr Broadway, The Duke, In Your Own Sweet Way, They'll Be Some Changes Made, Fujiyama" and "The Raggy Waltz." The rest of the recordings are also great listening.

I am in my mid forties and am delighted that I have discovered jazz in the last few months, music that was created long before I was born yet is sublime and so refreshing. Highly recommended.
Dave Brubeck will be forever known for the masterpiece that is `Take Five'. With its catchy melody and unusual time signature it is perhaps one of the best known jazz tunes out there.

But there was so much more to Brubeck than this one track, as this set shows off. We have track after track of gentle jazz that shows off his fascination with time signature, along with his delightful, restrained keyboard playing. It is accessible stuff, the experimental edge is tempered with a desire to keep it listenable and interesting, making this a great album to put on and relax to, for the casual listener or for the more hardened jazz nut.
on 2 March 2010
I remember growing up (many Moons ago) and listening to this sort of Jazz that my father played on a very big HiFi (in those days). I wanted to get something nice and relaxing to listen to and this has some amazing pieces of music on it at a bargin price. So I am well happy, well worth getting! Thank you Amazon!
on 24 July 2013
I'm a fan, but my friend (for whom this was a surprise present) had never heard his music before. (Actually she had - just didn't know it!!) three of the tunes from this album were used in the performance by the Birmingham Royal Ballet that we had been to see the week before. Until you see professional dancers performing to Dave Brubeck you have no idea what can be achieved!

Accurate recording, faithful copy of original music. Very good value for money. Received within a couple of days or ordering.
on 29 January 2013
I've just started dipping my toe into Jazz, I've always liked the sound of instrumental Jazz but never known any background on which artists to listen to.

I already knew Take Five by Dave Brubeck so thought that trying the 'Best of' would be worth a try. What a wonderful album this is, real musicians playing great music on real instruments. The arrangements are simple yet very catchy you can't help tapping your foot along to the rythms and melodies from the double bass, saxophone, piano and percusion here.

I'm not very well cultured with Jazz, but I recognised a few of the tracks here, a testament to how good/popular they are I guess.

This album is well recorded/produced especially considering the time period of the original recordings. The whole album sounds supurb. I often play it from start to finish I can't think of another album I own amongst my rock, pop, electronic dance... Etc that I can say that about.

Just buy it!
on 17 December 2015
My Dad got me into Mr Brubeck when I was a nipper, and thence I rather forgot about him whilst building my music collection.
So, saw this item on the site, and thought I would take the plunge.
Certainly one of my better music decisions as the album is terrific.
Highly recommended.
on 29 October 2010
Those of us lucky enough to hear this trio live in all its forms were aggravated by the dismissal of Brubeck's playing style. That at a time when punk etc were beginning to show up.

Saying things like it is 'pretentious' does not recognise that at the time, it was ground breaking with the difficult rythmns many pianists found hard to emulate. Nor the fact that at a live concert the trios were composed of superb musicians in their own right who carried the music along with their own unique playing.

This CD gives us a chance to relive much of the ambience we enjoyed then. Good stuff - as they now say.
on 1 January 2010
This is easy a listening jazz CD. Come home from work pour yourself a glass sit back and chill. Highly recommended for any jazz fans.
on 22 October 2011
It's a really good compilation of Dave Brubeck's works. I like the mix. The sound quality is of very high quality. I offered it to my wife - she likes specially "Take Five" - and she is happy with the CD too.