Format: Audio CD|Change

Jose Carreras, Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti teamed up to create this masterpiece. At least, that's how I describe this Christmas album, which clearly appeals to far more people than just the hardcore opera fans. Whether those fans enjoy this music, I cannot say. I'm one of those people who likes to dabble in opera occasionally but mainly listens to other types of music.

With the three singers all being tenors, you may not always be able to tell who is singing what unless you listen closely, or unless you are already familiar with their vocal differences. Perhaps that was their deliberate strategy. After all, it would have been possible to team up three opera singers with markedly different voices to create a contrast. Such an album might also be excellent, but it would be very different to this one. So I won't dwell too much on who sings what, except to say that each singer has one solo track. If you want to figure out the differences between them, you can begin by comparing those tracks. The other tracks include three duets with each singer sitting out one of them, with the remainder featuring all three singers. Thus, all three contribute equally to the album's vocals.

In its original form, the album had 21 tracks, but my version (described as a special edition although it now seems to be the only version available in Britain) has 23 tracks, the bonus tracks being Let it snow and Jingle bells. These two fun songs aren't really typical of the album, which tend to focus on more serious material. On the main album, only Sleigh ride and Winter wonderland are in a similar vein to the bonus tracks. The remaining tracks feature the wistful White Christmas and I'll be home for Christmas, but also feature plenty of religious songs.

Among the religious songs, O holy night, O come all ye faithful, Amazing grace, Silent night and Little drummer boy have all been recorded many hundreds of times, but these versions sound very distinctive, especially to those who don't listen to much opera. Perhaps the biggest surprise is among the selections is the inclusion of John Lennon's Happy Xmas war is over, which is easily the most modern song here, and which is rapidly on the way to becoming a Christmas standard.

As somebody who like to listen to a little bit of opera occasionally, this album certainly has its appeal. I hope that dedicated opera fans like it too.
on 28 December 2007
The Three Tenors are on top form here with all their usual pomp. Cantique de Noel as the opening carol is perfect. Few carols are as reverently uplifting and this sets the tone perfectly. The CD provides a lovely contrast to the more well known popular Christmas song collections and adds a sparkle to the decorations when listening.
on 30 December 2012
I love and admire these three opera stars, and have many recordings with them, but this was not very special. Perhaps the concept of presenting them together has been used too much ...?
on 28 December 2010
For a "melomane" as I am, a superb performance of Christmas songs by the best tenors of our age. In a word: a wonder.
on 10 December 2000
Luciano Pav. and friends have done it as others have before them - brought out the "must be done" Christmas collection. You are not considered an artist in my terms without a christmas collection. The voices blend - but then we already knew this. It is a heart-felt passionate performance by all three tenors. I recommend to all.
on 30 January 2010
Well what can I say but absolutely fabulous. I love the 3 Tenors they don't come any better than these 3 talented opera singers. You will love this Christmas cd. It dosen't matter about the season, I play it all the time. Go ahead and, buy it. You won't be disappointed.
on 7 December 2000
I really like pavorotti and found the tracks , brilliant. It was very samey though and I feel that he could've made a better composition than this one ! It was ok though.
on 14 April 2013
Delighted that it included the video of the concert as I didn't realise it did. Service and packaging great. Pleased with response time.
on 21 January 2013
It is so good to hear the familiar seasonal songs sung by such wonderful voices that I may have to play it all year round
on 17 January 2013
A glorious mixture of sacred and popular music, sung in their own inimitable styles. It is not just for Christmas either.