1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Austere but not cold, 30 Oct. 2009
ygghur (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britten: Cello Suites (Audio CD)
As a first thing I feel I have to say that I'm no expert, I cannot pass technically oriented judgement on the playing of Mork or the writing of Britten, so I will speak as a normal listener who enjoys music and uses instinct to draw lines. A recording of solo music is difficult listen, no contest, but I like difficult listening and I think one has to dig deeper than what appeals at first listen. This kind of very intimate chmaber music is to me something similar to a relationship between playes/composer and listener, you have to enter their world as they "try" to enter yours. Britten suites for solo cello are compositions that I personally file under "modern classical music bot not too modern", you immediately understand that it is music composed in the 20th Century, of course, but it's not abstract or overly atonal and he is not ashamed of tipping his hat to the giant of the genre (Bach's suites, of course). However, to cut a long story short, the cd is good, although I must say that at times Britten is a bit too austere and maybe Mork revels a bit too much in the same austere atmosphere and he almost never lets loose, which I think would have improved the performance (but, again, I'm not talking technical). Whoever likes cello music will certainly enjoy it, for the rest I cannot say.

Britten: Cello Suites
Britten: Cello Suites by Truls Mork (Audio CD - 2001)