5.0 out of 5 stars Practically perfect in almost every way, 23 April 2002
Ted Chaz (Florence, Italy) - See all my reviews
I can't imagine a better rock concert DVD than this!
This is the film of one single concert performance of the double concept album, and you have to bear this fact in mind when you watch it: IQ produce a flawless display of passion and precision. Peter Nicholls sounds better than on the studio version; more powerful and confident. His achievement is second to none: he sings and acts a 102-minute concept album through with no other breaks than when there is an instrumental interlude, which is also used for Pete to change his costume; even donning a full-face leather mask bought in an adult shop in Soho for one of the songs.
Enhancing the superb performance is the excellent sound quality in 5.1 surround, and well thought out filming. We see close ups of all the band members, focusing on their skills in most of the right places. My one slight annoyance at the filming is that bassist John Jowitt is slightly neglected, despite being a truly outstanding musician.
And if the filming of the whole album wasn't enough, this DVD has many worthwhile extras:
- You can watch the whole show with the band giving a running commentary; this is particularly valid as Peter Nicholls explains what's going on in the story, which if you were to rely on interpreting the lyrics alone you would require a PhD to understand it.
- A "making of ..." documentary, showing the progress of the show from before the recording of the original album to the filming of this show in Holland in 1999.
- 2 encores; 'Human Nature' and 'The Wake'.
- Some nice photos.
- A so-called 'Orchestral Overture', clearly played solo by Martin Orford on the keyboards. A bit of a waste of time, but as it's only an extra anyway, who cares? And its definitely doesn't deserve losing a star for that.

I'm just afraid that other concert DVD's I buy from now on will be a let-down after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars great live album, 26 April 2001
By A Customer
IQ went against modern music idiology in 1997 and released 'subterranea' - a double concept CD - coinciding with some live dates (plus more in Spring '99 from which this CD arises) playing the album in its entirity. Comparisons with The lamb (genesis) the wall (pink floyd) come to mind....but this is better. The music changes from hard rock to moving ballad and plenty of sweeping guitar/key solos. Like an opera themes recur and with each listen new little 'bits' are heard - there's always a suprise. This live CD sounds great - high production value (they did take their time.. make this a 'must have' CD...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent investment, 19 Dec. 2001
Darren Carroll "darren_carroll" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I couldn't agree more with Clive. The more you listen to this excellently produced double live album, the more you get out of it. What makes this album so great for me is the superb keyboards all the way through - mesmerising! I have only just got into IQ and this is my second purchase after The Seventh House. Both are regulars on my play list! If you like Rush, Marillion, Pink Floyd etc - then this album is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Joy, 6 Mar. 2009
ESP (Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have only recently `discovered' IQ. I now have several of their albums on CD and also the 20th anniversary gig on DVD. I did purchase their live `Living Proof' CD but quickly flogged it on eBay - a poor recording if ever I heard one!

`Subterranea: The Concert' is a completely different piece of work, and I would, for the most part, agree with pretty much everything said by the other 4 and 5 star reviewers (see also the studio album reviews).

Yes, it is always a matter of personal taste; whether you give an album like this 4 or 5 stars depends on whether you prefer studio to live, or whether you believe the whole concept is derivative, or even what kind of day you've had. Personally, I am playing this album to death in the car. I don't care that I only get roughly 20 minutes each end of the day to listen to this 2-CD extravaganza, or that I have yet to listen to it properly on a decent hi-fi system. I really like this album and it makes my journey almost enjoyable. In my book that is praise indeed!

So, despite the occasional nit-picking, take a view on those 4 and 5 star ratings by prog fans. If you enjoy the music of Genesis, Marillion, Arena and Pendragon, I reckon you will appreciate this album in your collection. As for the studio version? Well, I followed the advice that said the live album had the edge and have not regretted the purchase - I would like to listen to the studio version out of interest, but am well satisfied with the concert. The overall quality is more than good and the audience are not particularly intrusive. As for the vocals: no complaints at all (listen to `Living Proof' and then you can criticise!)

I also highly recommend `Ever', `The Seventh House' and `Dark Matter' by IQ - great studio albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for prog rock fans, 9 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
I took a slight gamble in purchasing this disc. I had not heard an IQ track before! However, I know the Genesis/Marillion sound and wanted to try it on the basis of the reviews below.
Some of the music passages are truly beautiful - especially the keyboard and guitar work and the tempo changes. However, and this is the only thing that stops this getting a maximum five, I found the vocals on this recording were no better than adequate. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars IQ - Subterranea the concert, 25 July 2002
Alex Malone (California) - See all my reviews
Who says progressive rock is dead? If you are a fan of Floyd, Genesis, Marillion, Yes, BJH, ELP, Jethro Tull etc etc then stop 'living in the past'and buy this. IQ (along with Pendragon, Twelfth Night, Pallas) deserve to be idolised as much as the 70's bands. They just 'happened' in the wrong decade. This DVD is IQ at their absolute best. Seeing as Gabriel and Supper's Ready isn't available on DVD or video, watch 2 hours of IQ instead. You will NOT be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, long, a mammoth view., 25 Oct. 2005
Mr. Simon Crawford "Nomis Drofwarc" (United Kingdom. Norwich.) - See all my reviews
Well where do I begin. The music is faultless, Nichols is certainly at his best vocally, however I did find some of theatrics on stage a little OTT nea affected / over theatrical.
This is more than likely my fault for not realizing in advance it was more a production rather than just a gig as such.
However once I had read the inner cover properly and then sat down and watched it again it made a bit more sense. I do get the feeling P.N is a closeted actor as well as an obviously very talented vocalist. I have really enjoyed the music on the now three occasions I have listened to it,but the 3rd time was exactly that; listening only. I still find the acting out the story a tad 'cringeworthy' Also some of the crowd with sparklers, were they actually expecting Barry Mannilow?
I have given the DVD only 4 stars for these reasons alone. The band and their music alone are though worth at least 6 or 7 stars. Maybe its my age, but I guess these days I just like to listen to the music or just watch a band on stage playing their instruments. However, thanks I.Q, fab Musicianship

5.0 out of 5 stars What a band!!, 4 Jun. 2012
Matthew McMillan (Weymouth,Dorset.UK) - See all my reviews
Having quite recently bought this for the car realised I was listening to very little else once it arrived so to have the band playing it on a DVD faultlessly well it was quite simply a no brainer One word genius!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The visual experience of a perfect concert, 14 Oct. 2010
Paul Cook "Cookie" (UK) - See all my reviews
The wonderful double CD Subterranea is brought to life. A fantastic DVD, excellent sound, excellent production, multi cameras, a very professional production. I'll never understand why IQ did not achieve greater stardom - if you've never seen them, watch this - I think you will wonder too.

5.0 out of 5 stars subteranea concert, 12 May 2014
A truly excellent live performance of a special album, i wonder if they will soon do road of bones entirely live on stage soon.

Iq: Subterranea - The Concert [VHS]
Iq: Subterranea - The Concert [VHS] by Iq (VHS Tape - 2000)