5.0 out of 5 stars Dont believe the Hype
Published on 29 April 2006 by Mr. S. Pullin

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
This is my 2nd opeth album and i have to say my first impressions were this is opeth and this is sounding pretty cool. The problem i have with this album is the production, which is quite poor, only really in the heavy bits but maybe thats what they wanted in which case its fair enough, and i swear that there are handful of riths that are in still life on this album which...
Published on 22 Feb 2006 by N. Cleeve

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont believe the Hype, 29 April 2006
Mr. S. Pullin (Sanderstead, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
I believe this album marks the recognition of Opeth as one of the most talented, dynamic and down right untouchable bands of our time. The whole album has everything that a music fan could possibly desire in a release; Firstly, it's a concept album with each song being linked to the next by the unfolding of a medieval saga. Secondly it has songs heavier than a lead gorilla (Demon of the Fall). Thirdly it has, and I cannot stress this enough, beautiful, beautiful clean songs where the raw talent and classical style training of Akerfeldt and Lindgren stand out (Madrigal, Credence). Fourthly it has cover songs (Circle of the tyrant, Remember Tomorrow) which are given a whole new leash of life in a Opeth style. Finally it has in my opinion on of the most jaw-droppingly brilliant songs I have ever heard in When. When you hear the dual guitar melodies that Opeth are known for , it feels as if your soul is transcending to a better place. I literally could not keep my mouth closed when I first heard some of the passages in this album, the combination of guitar harmony, progressive melody and the amazing voice of Mikael Alkerfeldt has in my opinion never been heard before and merely highlights just how talented this group of people really are. Not to mention of course the fact that Martin Lopez can only be described as a genius for the drumming on this album.

To summarise, there really is nothing to criticise on this album, all I can say is please buy this as I truly do not believe there is another band around today that can come anywhere Opeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Times were changing, 7 Nov 2005
Mr. D. A. Cure "Sir Danalot" (Droitwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
I would cite this as the initial crossover album, as despite the change in personnel, the style still involves a degree of the original “folk metal” style of the first two albums (in fact the cover of Circle of the Tyrants was recorded by the original line up). Standout tracks include April Ethereal and Demon of the Fall, whilst the brilliant Epilogue is as emotional as it is epic. I’m a huge fan of Morningrise, and whilst Blackwater Park is brilliant, I am not so enamoured by Still Life, which therefore makes this album an interesting bridge. It is a n improvement on the production, but a move towards the fuller, more textured and less epic riffs. Another masterpiece, though, by a legendary band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow !, 3 Oct 2001
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
This offering by Opeth is quite different from its predecessor Morningrise, but it still follows the Opeth cliche. A beautiful concept album with mysterious and anthralling lyrics. Mikael Akerfeltd's growls have gotten deeper and better while his clean vocals (which are used more than in Morningrise) are suberb. The guitar work is excellent as usual, and the riffs are more structured than in the case of the two previous albums. Watch out for the acoustic track Credence, all performed in clean vocals - a magnificent mallow interlude amongst the really heavy and angry rest of the album. This is songwriting and performance at its best - a mistake to miss it especially if you are already an Opeth fan !

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning opus, 12 July 2002
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
Although others may disagree, I feel that this is possibly Opeth's best album, although definitely not their most accessible. The swirling melodies seem to be a contradiction but make them one of the most accessible and enduring death metal bands out there, not to mention immersive. This album captures moods better than any other I've heard, from the deepest and darkest depths of anger to sheer euphoria, which sometimes even floats on the anger for sheer evocative passion. The highlights include the beautiful ballad Creedence, Remember Tomorrow, shows of beautifully the band's technical abilities, but most of all live favourite Demon Of The Fall, one of the greatest metal anthems ever penned, from roaring start through the emotive "run away" refrain straight into the aforementioned Creedence. Overall, this album is a masterpiece and is a must-have for any serious true-metaller - especially those who take a liking to death or prog.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a new Opeth, 28 July 2005
B. Rose "Soothsayer" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
Fans starting off from the beginning like I did (Orchid & Morningrise) will be slightly jarred by MAYH on first listen, it is a rather radical departure from the twin-guitar assault of the first two albums, but give it a few listens and you'll realise it's one of their best albums to date.
'April Ethereal' kicks off proceedings Opeth style with some double bassage + awesome riffage and is even now one of my all-time fave Opeth songs. Even better that it is followed ay another Opeth classic...'When', from this point you can tell Opeth have evolved from the slightly patchwork-esque style of songwriting found on 'Morningrise' (the masterpiece) showing a more structured song writing on this album.
'Madrigal' is a short interlude that leads onto 'The Amen Corner', while not as good as the first two tracks it still more than holds its own.
'Demon Of The Fall' is probably one of the most recognised Opeth tracks and a live favourite, they play it live at practically every time, although slightly overrated it's still an awesome track and has some great moments.
Leading on to 'Credence' which is the 'soft' song on MAYH (which is notably absent in many softer parts compared to the rest of their albums). It is average on the Opeth scale bar the end of the song which is just beautiful. 'Karma' follows and it doesn't mess about, launching you straight into the heaviness, although slightly less memorable than the other heavy tracks on MAYH, it's still awesome and worth repeated listens. The album wraps up with Epilogue, a slow-burning almost jam-session song which I think ends the album perfectly.
As another reviewer mentioned, it is not the most accessible album, it takes a few listens for you to dig it, but once you do you won't look back, it's an album you can keep going back to and never get bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars dark ,beautiful,meaningful, 20 Feb 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
opeth are unique,even if a band tried to copy their style i have a feeling it wouldnt work,they are a one off,we all know that,my arms your hearse reveals a band still experimenting with their own unique style,they are a world class band now,they were well on the way to becoming one with this album,its dark,its brooding and its heavy and of course melodic,one minute they sound like deicide in a slower tempo,the next they sound like a pop folk band but it all works,this isnt their best album,i leave that honour to blackwater park,but get this and get it today and you will know the meaning of the word beautiful

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good..., 13 Mar 2002
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
I've worked my way backwards with Opeth, so for me this is album number three. As always the excellent musicianship is there, the good production, the great acoustic/nihilistic interface ever-present. But I wouldn't say this is their best album, though there are some storming tracks in the shape of April Ethereal, Demon Of The Fall, When and the awesome cover of Iron Maiden's Remember Tomorrow. If you're a frist time listener, start with Blackwater Park, which is their most accessible album (not to say that this isn't). This is an excellent album in its own right, just that I think Opeth's subsequent releases outshine this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Opeth album... definitely not the last. Brilliant., 12 Nov 1999
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
I had been wanting to hear Opeth for a long time but nobody seemed to be into them, so I had to go out and get an album myself. Being a big Doom Metal fan I want as much diversity as possible in my shelves and Opeth is just that. Hard grinding guitars one moment, sweet melodic acoustic the next. They weave in and out of each song fluidly; atmospheres change but there is never that feeling of suddeness that you sometimes feel with less experienced bands. In this album, no matter what song, you know you're listening to melodic, sometimes malancolic, sometimes angry, but always beautiful Doom music. The summit of the album is track 6 ("Demon of the Fall"), the voice has some effects but I don't mind because they certainly get the job done. I have never heard the voice of a Demon, but it must sound like this, and when the chorus comes in with its powerfull guitar riff and the screaming Demon I can't help but shiver... and head bang all over the room! The apocalypse will arrive with this song, I am sure. If you are into My Dying Bride but also enjoy the likes of Amorphis or Moonspell then you MUST like this album. I have not awarded it 5 stars because I believe the perfect album is still to come and because I don't like the "clean" voice which is used in some parts. I have nothing against non growling singing, I just don't like this voice in particular very much. Warning: if you buy this album you will feel forced to buy the whole of the Opeth discography. And what's wrong with that anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Opeth on green clear vinyl!!, 6 Dec 2009
N. PARTINGTON "Parto" (Newark, UK) - See all my reviews
One of my favourite Opeth albums on double clear green vinyl. Contains classic tracks like When, Karma and Demon of the Fall. If you're serious about your metal music buy this album !!
Took a while to arrive but was worth the wait.
Never thought I would buy vinyl again but buy this album and you will see what you've been missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars faultless, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
I love this band another classic. You even get an iron maiden cover. The musicianship is sublime. The way they goo from full on heavy crunching chords and riffs to general quiet passages never ceases to amaze. You need this band in your life

My Arms Your Hearse
My Arms Your Hearse by Opeth (Audio CD - 2000)