5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Voice in New Tunes
Published on 23 Oct 2002 by Z. Yang

1.0 out of 5 stars the most dreadful album ever.
Bought this album simply because of the name: Michael Ball, but i was totally disappointed by it. Some artist can get away with it while crossing the line between Classic and Pop, but Michael Ball is not one of then.
Published on 21 May 2003 by kevinzhou

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Voice in New Tunes, 23 Oct 2002
Z. Yang (Hockessin, DE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
If you think Michael Ball is only good at showcasing big musical numbers and belting out high pitches, then you should listen to this album. The same Michael Ball will give you different feelings and you probably will re-look some of the songs that you've already known for a long time. I have to say that Michael's singing is mesmerizing. His exquisite vocal delivery and his empathy with the songs contributed the best to the artistic appealing of this album.
For the first time Michael tried his voice in American country tunes, and it is surprisingly good. Songs like "If Tomorrow Never Comes", "The Dimming of the Day", and "The Dance" simply couldn't get better. "You Bring the Best Out of Me", which is a song specifically written for Michael by Paul Carrack, is a song about the singer himself. The words are very sincere and Michael sings it with such emotions and true feelings. Michael co-authored two songs in the album. They can't be more different in their styles. "Just When" is a touching romantic love song, flowing smoothly. "Never Coming Back", with its story-telling approach and deep punchy rhythm, expresses the feelings of struggling and desperation. A little surprise comes from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "No Matter What", for which Boyzone already set the standard with their smash hit version. There is no doubt that Michael gave this song his unique charm by adding his personal touch in it.
This is an album that is well produced and packaged. The orchestration, the sound mixing, and the recording are superb. You won't regret for every penny you spend. Please do yourself a favor after a whole day's of work: light the candles, get a glass of wine, and enjoy the wonderfulness Michael brings to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one will creep up on you!, 3 Oct 2001
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
When I first got this one home and listened to it I was horrified -- How could Michael possibly go Country on me? A few days later I decided to listen again (anything by Michael Ball deserves a second chance) and by the fourth or fifth track it was starting to grow on me. I now love this CD and find myself singing along. I think my favorite tracks are "The Song Remembers When," "I Don't Want A Lover," and "No Matter What," but they're all great. So give this one a chance and it may just surprise you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Micheal Ball, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
Micheal Ball is a well know singer of Musical.This Time it,s Persona, this CD as love song Micheal as a great vioce.

5.0 out of 5 stars This time it's personal cd by Michael Ball., 28 Oct 2012
J. E. Baird - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
This cd has some truly beautiiful songs on, sung beautifully of course by Michael !
It has quite a few country songs on it , but these songs all have a special meaning to Michael - one of my favourite CDs of his and I play it often. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic voice of Michael Ball, 27 July 2011
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
Michael Ball is gorgeous and has a fantastic voice and I bought this cd having recently purchased the dvd of the same name. I love all the songs on this album especially The Song Remembers When and The Greatest Man I Never Knew which are both beautiful. All the songs are fantastic. The gorgeoous Michael Ball has a brilliantly versatile voice and this album takes on a bit of a 'new country' style which I love and just goes to show how truly versatile he is, he really can sing any style of music. I am really glad I discovered this album which I missed at the time of its release and will be playing for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF HIS BEST, 28 May 2011
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
This album is one of my favourites of Michael's. "Just When" is a very moving ballad that he wrote for Cathy, "The Song Remembers When" is a lovely song I love the lyrics in this song like "It was like a lighted match had been tossed into my soul, it was like a dam had broken in my heart" its a song we can all relate to about a ex love we still think about. It's my favourite song on the album along with "The Dance" which I also love and always turn up extra loud when it comes on. "The Greatest Man I Never Knew" is a very moving song I love the lyric "I never knew He loved me guess he thought I Knew". "The Dimming Of The Day" is another great track which Michael sings with great ease. Along with great covers of well known chart songs such as Teaxs- "I Dont Want A Lover", the Boyzone classic "No Matter What", Shania Twain- "Youre Still The One", Alison Moyets " The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", Celine Dion- "Think Twice", and the classic "Walking In Memphis". I have been a fan for years and this album says why.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet !!, 2 Nov 2000
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
This C.d is so good it is impossible to pick one favourite track out as better than all the others.Anyone who appreciates a wonderful natural voice will love this collection of material. There is a great version of "No matter what" two terrific songs that Michael co wrote with Brian Kennedy in "Just When" and "Never coming back". "I don't want a lover"and "Walking in Memphis" will have you dancing around your living room. "The greatest man I never knew" and "The song remembers when" were new to me but I feel now, like I have known them all my life."You bring out the best of me"written by Paul Carrack is truely beautiful and anyone with an ounce of romance in them couldn't fail but to melt at Michaels version of "The first time ever I saw your face".I would say buy it for yourself, buy it for a friend and then buy a spare for when the original one is worn out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country suits Michael's voice to perfection!, 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
WOW! Sums up this CD totally. It has a country feel and that really suits Michael's voice down to a tee! As well as many great covers there is also two songs which Michael has written himself - another string to his bow!! And a song which Paul Carrick (the voice of Mike & the Mechanics) has written for him. All the songs on this cd will really tug at your heart strings. If you aren't a Michael fan already you will be after listening to this cd. A must buy or at least a christmas list item!!
Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a few listens..., 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect from this album, having heard it was to be a bit of a slower tempo, but after a few listens I've a feeling it's going to grow on me. A lot of the songs are new to me - "If Tomorrow Never Comes" and "Just When" are going to be favourites. I love Michael's versions of "You're Still the One" and "No Matter What", and I defy anyone to listen to "Walking in Memphis" without breaking into song! An album that'll sneak up on you without you really noticing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for music lovers of all ages, 30 Oct 2000
This review is from: This Time It's Personal (Audio CD)
As a fan of Michael Ball I am bound to like his new album but I am sure that as always it will appeal to music lovers of all ages. Recorded in the studio it has a good balance of material, including cover versions of "New Country" music, some new material written for and by Michael and an excellent arrangement of Andrew Lloyd-Webber's No Matter What (from Whistle down the Wind). Money well spent as I am sure thousands will agree.

This Time It's Personal
This Time It's Personal by Michael Ball (Audio CD - 2000)